Hello, and welcome to the inaugural “The Beerbarrel’s top 10…”.
Yeah, yeah… We know. Everyone does top 10 lists. So what? Doesn’t mean we can’t too, and hopefully ours will be a bit different. We hope to make this an “irregular feature” here at The Beerbarrel, meaning you never know when one might pop up, but it should become a recurring theme.
And to lead things off, we present The Beerbarrel’s top 10…… Songs that are “Just ‘Totally‘ 80’s”. (Ed note: Yeah, we went there)
- Thriller (Michael Jackson). It was the top one, deal with it. Unparalleled doesn’t even begin to define how big a hit this song was at the time compared to anything else in the 80’s. No, it’s not here because he just died. It’s here because in the 80’s, when this thing came out, EVERYBODY had a copy. Yes, you did too. Admit it.
- Video Killed the Radio Star (The Buggles). The very first video ever played on MTV. That alone secures it’s place on this list. And I must hang my head in shame and admit I saw it happen. Live.
- Money For Nothing (Dire Straits). With a catchy video, and it’s even catchier use of the “I want my MTV” ad phrase as a refrain, this is another song everyone in the 80’s heard. (Bonus points if you can name the background singer doing the “I want my MTV” refrain)
- Safety Dance (Men Without Hats). Quirky, funny, and just a bit different. And supposedly it was about the nuclear arms race (?!?!?!?)
- Eye of the Tiger (Survivor). It was from Rocky III. You remember that one, right? It had Mr. T, and Hulk Hogan in it! Back when EVERYONE knew who they were in the heyday of the WWF (I know it isn’t called that anymore, but it was back then!). Yes, even if you thought wrestling was a joke in the 80’s, you knew who Hulk Hogan was. Admit it.
- Living On a Prayer (Bon Jovi). The 80’s gave rise to “hair metal” (still heard on Hair Nation on Sirius/XM), and this one was a prime example.
- Obsession (Animotion). The lyrics alone.. “What do you want me to be, to make you sleep with me” put it in the list.
- Whip It (Devo). Everybody heard this one. And Devo was…. different.
- I Ran (Flock of Seagulls). I don’t know if it was just the song, or seeing that horrible, horrible video that went with it but this one screams “I’m from the 80’s” with the best of them.
- The Theme from Miami Vice (Jan Hammer). Even today, Miami Vice just SCREAMS “80’s” like nothing else. Not any Swatch watch you can dig out, not your boom boxes, or your parachute pants. Although the pants might come close.
So there you have it. Our first Top 10… list. One thing that really struck me while working on it was how many songs actually could qualify for a list like this. Originally I thought we could do some “honorable mentions”, but there would be too many.
Think we missed an obvious one (I’m sure we did)? Have a suggestion for the next Beerbarrel’s Top 10 that we should try to tackle? Let us know!