Another Friday has arrived. And with it, another Five Thoughts on a Friday. Let’s see where ti leads this time.
- I take out the trash in the morning before leaving for the office. It helps keep the neighborhood cats/critters/etc. from tearing it up overnight. This has nothing to do with the point I want to make though, it just sort of sets the scene. It’s Early, It’s DARK. Two the two people jobbing down the street in the morning, nice job – exercise is important. Might I suggest NOT wearing BLACK outfits if you’re going to run down the middle of a dimly light street?
- I saw a speech where the topic of “Employee Development” came up. One of the executives, trumpeting his company’s success mentioned that “During the recent fiscal crisis, we’ve seen very little employee turnover”. Wait, let me get this straight… Unemployment rates have been in double digit figures, and you’re patting yourself on the back because your employees aren’t leaving for… No other available job? To quote the guys in the old Guinness commercial… “Brilliant!” That must be corporate math. Or a line from a Dilbert cartoon. Welcome to corporate America. He probably even got a bonus for keeping turnover down.
- Next Thursday is “Eat way too much food and then pass out on the couch while watching Football day”. Oh, it’s also Thanksgiving. Which is why it’s different than the average football fan’s Saturday/Sunday routine, I guess.
- This is what news reporting has come to? One of the top stories is that the White House is at odds with Catholic Bishops over abortions in health care legislation. This is NEWS? We’re not here to take sides, I’d just like to point out that Catholic Bishops have traditionally been against this type of thing since… Umm, how old is the Catholic Church now? So them being against comes as a surprise…. how? Slow news day guys?
- I haven’t seen any promos for movies opening this weekend. There ARE still movies coming out, right? Or has Hollywood finally given up? I imagine it could have something to do with hardly watching regular television these days (in part to work, home remodeling, gaming, and watching channels like Discovery and NatGeo). Sorry, But I’m more inclined to watch the show with the 20ft Great White sharks jumping out of the water than something like a recycled show from the 90s. Come to think of it, network TV is beginning to strike me as very similar to the current state of the movie industry. Go figure.
Ok, that’s 5 and I am completely ready for this weekend to start. Short week next week folks, enjoy your holiday!