Good morning everyone, and welcome to another Friday. Let’s dive right into this weeks Five Thoughts, because oh what a week it’s been. Lot’s of stuff, good and bad going on.
- We’re going to lead with this one though… I don’t really make any secret of the fact that I judge the arrival of springtime not by calendar date or weather, but the start of baseball spring training. Well, a baseball icon, and a bit of old school Americana passed away this week. Ernie Harwell, the longtime radio voice of the Detroit Tigers – THE singular voice of the tigers to most people, passed away at the age of 92. He always started the 1st spring training game of the season on the radio with the the passage of “The voice of the turtle”. RIP Ernie.
- On to the silly side of life. In the market for some scented candles, but can’t stand any of the perfume-y smells? Now there’s an answer! This one will never be confused with a Candle Barn scent. It smells like White Castle Burgers! It even looks like it comes in the box!
- The state of Michigan’s public smoking ban has gone into effect. I am not a fan of these laws. No, I do not smoke. No, I am no big fan of smokers (most of whom I consider a bunch of self centered litterbugs who fling their cigarette butts out the window of the car – still lit). What I don’t like about the laws is strictly a personal inconvenience. There are no more smoking sections in restaurants. That means not being able to say “First available” and avoiding the wait everyone else is dealing with for the no smoking section. This is an outrage! I demand to be able to be seated quickly! (OK, so I’m really not that upset)
- You didn’t think we were going to get through today’s five thoughts without mentioning the idiot from Philadelphia that got tasered, did you? I’m not going to comment on the right or wrong of the tasering though. I’m going to say that I was shocked when I saw the response from the boy’s mother and step father. Shocked, because it was the exact opposite of what I had expected to hear. The young man may be finding that getting tasered was the least of his worries in the whole thing. It seems Mom wasn’t happy at all. Ma’am, I tip my hat to you.
- Lastly, from the “You’re not real bright, are you?” department…. 3 teens ended up okay after a health scare. Caused by “drinking” dry ice. For the love of…
Alright! That’s five and it’s time to start the weekend! Have a great one folks.
For, lo, the winter is past, The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come, And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Have a great weekend folks!