Howdy folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts.
As I sit here typing this up, I can’t help but marvel at the sentiment I used for this week’s “edition name”. When we first shuffled around the office, I thought it was great (And I got asked who I bribed, who’s you know what I kissed,etc.) to get a window view like I did. Now I’m sitting here, looking at sunny skies and green trees on an 85 degree day thinking…. This truly SUCKS. I should be out there, not in here! So please excuse me if my writing wanders (more than normal, that is) since my brain is off playing in the sunshine somewhere while I’m stuck here at my desk. Anyways…. On to today’s five thoughts!
- Father’s Day was this past Sunday, and it found me in downtown Detroit at Comerica Park taking in the Tigers versus the Arizona Diamondbacks with my Dad. The weather was gorgeous, the beer was cold, the Tigers won on the strength of two 7th inning home runs (one of which may not yet have landed). A great time was had by all, and the added bonus? Hearing the Star Spangled banner played by Jeff Beck. Sometimes it’s good to be lucky when you score tickets.
- Tuesday was maintenance/patch day for World of Warcraft as they rolled out patch 3.3.5. I can’t even fathom how complex the coding for an MMO with that much content and 11 million subscribers must be. As things turn it, the downtime for installation had to be extended. I have to tell you, if you ever want a good laugh, read the customer service forums for Warcraft when that happens. You’d think some of these people were ready to jump off of a bridge! And gamers sometimes wonder why they get the reputations they do. Reminds me of the Southpark Episode where they ask… “How do you kill that which has no life?“
- So according to North Korea, the United States owes them nearly $65 trillion dollars. I’m sorry, I can’t help it. Every time I try to read that article, I hear it in my head with the Dr. Evil voice from the Austin Powers movies.
- Changing gears completely here for a cool bit of maritime news. A 300 foot wooden ship was recently found at the bottom of Lake Michigan, almost perfectly preserved due to the depth it’s at. The L.R. Doty was recently found in the Wisconsin waters of Lake Michigan. While the article doesn’t give a lot of details about the location of the ship (probably to keep it safe), it does offer one clue. “Meanwhile, a Milwaukee fisherman in 1991 reported snagging his nets on an obstruction about 300 feet under water.” You read that right. 300 feet deep. In a lake. Folks, if you’ve never seen the great Lakes it’s hard to understand. They aren’t traditional lakes. They’re freshwater oceans for all intents. They’re massive. I’ll let one of the last lines of the article help explain it best. “Lake Michigan has about 500 dive-worthy ships still to be found, Baillod estimated.”
- Tonight is the NHL entry draft. I don’t get too excited about this because, well.. it isn’t the NFL draft (Or even the NBA). It’s more like the baseball draft. Most of these kids will go into the minor leagues never to be seen again. I’m not trying to be harsh here, it’s just the truth. Which is why I always laugh when I read some of these mock drafts. I realize the draft is one of those times when a fan’s hope “springs eternal”, but these things can be so sugar coated at times it’s sickening. To read some of the descriptions, you’d think all of these guys will be NHL regulars by next year. Sorry to rain on the parade folks. See that list of 30 names? Scratch about half of them out right now. They won’t pan out. That’s the reality of it all.
Ok folks, and that’s five for this week. And because of the tone I managed to strike with a couple of the posts…. let’s go with this one…. (NSFW laguage)
Have a Great Weekend Folks!