Happy Friday again everyone. Yes, we’ve been sort of absent for the past week. I actually meant to get a post up Tuesday or Wednesday, but I just couldn’t get it worked out. The post was, ironically, about writer’s block. Still, it’s Friday and that means we’re back at it with our weekly “Five Thoughts”. And awaaaaay we go!
- I’ve been hearing a lot of chatter about this, but this morning I saw it on the front page of Yahoo!. If people didn’t know about it before, they will soon if the major news and web sites (as opposed to blogs and forums, no offense meant) start carrying the story. Blizzard Entertainment (The folks who make World of Warcraft) seem to be playing pretty fast and loose with people’s personal information. I’ll leave my personal thoughts on the sideline and say this… There is NO WAY Blizzard can win the PR battle on this one. None. If this story goes mainstream, the PR backlash they’ll get hit with will be unreal (And remember folks, PR doesn’t have to be logical or rational. You still have to deal with it, though). All they have to do is ask their friends at Facebook.
- Let’s change gears here and deal with soccer (you know, the football the rest of the world plays). Seems there’s been an octopus in Germany that’s been correctly picking a lot of the games. Seems he correctly picked Spain to beat Germany. He got another one right – that’s good, right? Not so much. It appears some people in Germany now feel the octopus would be better off being dinner. Ouch. So much for being good at what you do.
- Get out the tin foil hats! There’s a secret message embedded in the logo of the US Cyber Command’s logo! It might just be their motto, or it could be some message that they’re planning to take over the world! Or it could be someone saying that someone owes them a pizza because they actually put the code in the logo. Have fun with it, folks!
- So LeBron made his choice, huh? I could say I watched it, but I would be lying. I could say I care, and I’d be telling you the truth. “Let me explain… no, there is no time, let me sum up.” I don’t follow basketball all that much. I do read the sports page though so I know what’s been going on. And I *do* care. I really do. I wanted him to hurry up and make his decision. So the story would GET OFF OF MY DAMNED SPORTS TICKER! See? There’s a reason for everything.
- I don’t think I will ever understand this. You didn’t like the verdict and were upset about it, so you rioted. Ok, there’s almost some convoluted logic to that. Why then, when you’re celebrating your team winning the big game… you… riot? Go ahead, call me confused. I just don’t get it.
So there we go, this week’s Five Thoughts. Now that that’s done, can someone tell me if it’s time to start the weekend yet? No? Not yet? Damn.
This past Monday a legendary NHL tough guy passed away far too soon. Bob Probert passed away at age 45 after complaining of chest pains. His funeral is today in Windsor, Ontario Canada. Just across the Detroit river from Windsor sits Joe Louis Arena where he made his name with the Red Wings. He even helped name a band with one of his fights. Five for Fighting took it’s name from the fight.
From John Ondrasik’s Twitter:
To clarify fff was named after a hockey fight between Bob Probert and Marty McSorley #f4f
Here’s the fight, it’s legendary:
Have a great weekend folks!