Howdy folks, Happy New Year’s Eve!
I almost forgot to do this one today. I didn’t realize it was already Friday. Still, here we are an let’s get at it shall we?
- Once again, I just want to say this. Drywall dust goes everywhere. It doesn’t matter what you do, there’s no containing it. And along those lines, there’s nothing worse than trying to fix up drywall in a room, only to come to the realization that it would have been less trouble to rip the old drywall down and start from scratch. My home improvement project for the past week still isn’t done s a result.
- Another delay was caused by me having a reason to visit the dentist this past week. There were no cavities to be found, I’m happy to report. Still, what a choice huh? Mud and sand drywall or go have someone poke and scrape at your teeth with pointy metal objects? Yep, I was living the dream!
- Speaking of dreaming. I understand all the financial indications and talk of recessions and all that, but on a recent visit to a casino in Detroit… the place was packed! Apparently people are dreaming of paying off the mortgage by hitting it big at the casino. Yep, they’re dreaming all right. (I checked the back of one of the slot machines there… I think it said it was made by shop vac, and from what I saw they acted like a shop vac, too. They just suck the money right on in!)
- Tomorrow is New Year’s Day, and that means one thing, and one thing only.
Hangovers! Football! I think the best game nobody really expected to see is going to be Michigan State / Alabama.
- Last but not least, here’s to a happy and safe New Year’s Eve, and a happy and healthy new year to everyone from us here at the Beerbarrel. What will 2011 bring? Who knows, but we’re about to start finding out.
And that’s 5 and I’m heading off! Yes, it was short. Hey, I’m on vacation! Plus I still have to go work on that stupid drywall some more.
I know it’s a day early, but what the heck… Haven’t done U2 before
Posted in Feature
Tagged Casino, Commentary, Dentist, Drywall, Features, Five Thoughts, football, From Beermaker's Brain, Holi, Home Improvement, Silly, Vacation
Merry Christmas folks!
It’s Friday! It’s Christmas Eve! It’s….. Christmas Vacation!
Still, here we are merrily posting away because it’s what we do. So, let’s get started, shall we?
- Now that the shopping is over, I have a suggestion for some of you stores… if you want to lock up the video games, that’s fine. I can see the little sign there that says “Please ask an associate for assistance”. You know what I don’t see though? One of your associates! They’re nowhere to be found! So I can’t buy the game from you. Here, let me translate that for you…. YOU ARE MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR ME TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY! As a business, that’s a bad thing! You need to fix that.
- Last weekend was the last Saturday before Christmas. And what did old Beermaker do? He went and saw Yogi Bear. In 3-D. I thought it was pretty good. I mean, it’s based on a cartoon who’s premise was a bear stealing picnic baskets; so if you’re looking for some involved or meaningful plot… yeah. It’s Yogi. And Boo-Boo. And Ranger Smith. And it was good for a laugh. That’s all it needs to be.
- I’ve been listening to a lot of Christmas music at work this week. I look at it this way… The week before Christmas it’s almost unavoidable, so you might as well embrace it. My Co-blogger wants to ban A particular Christmas song by Wham! that he insists is overplayed. Kind of scrooge like, don’t you think? I mean, it’s only ONE song. And even Bob Geldof has called his Band Aid effort one of the worst songs of all time, but it still gets played. Ok, may not scrooge. How about Grinch?
- Why is that whenever this time of year rolls around, I always think about how nice it will be to have a few days off to relax when I know full well I’ll be running around busier than I usually am the rest of the year? I never learn. I have learned one thing over the years though. Despite my best efforts, I’m horrible at wrapping gifts. Thank God for gift bags!
- In case you hadn’t guessed by now, I pre-wrote this column. I hope that as you read this, your either enjoying a little a bit of quiet time before heading out for the holiday or you’re catching up after the fact. Either way, I’d like to wish a very Merry Christmas to everyone from us here at The Beerbarrel. No matter what your beliefs, enjoy the day and enjoy the time. I hope you have a great one.
Ok folks. That’s Five
Gol-den rings! (Sorry, force of habit this time of year, you know?) and we’re off to enjoy the holiday. Since today’s post was the “Christmas Vacation” edition because, well, it’s Christmas Vacation… There really was only one choice to close out with… (The video isn’t from the movie, but the song is)
Merry Christmas folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Christmas, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, Grinch, Movies, Music, Random, Scrooge, Shopping, Silly, Video Games, Yogi Bear
Happy Friday folks, and welcome to the “Last” Friday edition! No, No, it’s not the last Five Thoughts we’re going to do. No, it’s not the last Five Thoughts were doing on Friday either. We aren’t switching days. Besides, Five Thoughts on a Monday just doesn’t have the same “ring” to it. And no, we’re not even talking about last Friday, as in last week. No, today’s title is in honor of it being (for me at least!) the LAST Friday of the work year. And that’s a good thing. So let’s get rolling!
- It’s been snowy up here. And cold. And with that being said, it’s time to get into the “no matter how many times…” stories that this type of weather brings out. Still… Let’s say it again folks. DO. NOT. USE. PROPANE. TANKS. INDOORS. And let’s just clarify a little here. That includes a closed garage. Because I’m pretty sure your homeowners insurance (or your neighbors!) is going to want to talk to you when your 100lb propane tank…. KNOCKS THREE HOUSES OFF THEIR FOUNDATIONS.
- It’s a banner year for Beermaker. It’s December 17th and I’ve actually already started Christmas shopping. That’s real progress for me!
- I just have to include this, for obvious reasons.
And they didn’t even need to use a propane tank!
(And with that roof collapse, it now looks like Brett Favre will see both his consecutive game streak *and* his career end in Detroit)
Did you know? Brett Favre saw his NFL ironman streak end in the same city (about 1.5 miles down the road) from the site where Lou Gehrig took himself out of the lineup to end his MLB streak?
- In some amusing news today… Dan Aykroyd says he could have seen John Belushi on Broadway doing stuff like Shakespeare. Well, he knew him so I guess I’ll have to take his word for it. Because when I think of John Belushi I mostly see more of this:
Somehow, I’m not seeing Shakespeare.
- Seeing how it’s the holiday season, and our very own Kingkielbasa got the “let’s ruin your diet with holiday goodies” train rolling a few weeks back…. This week, it’s Eggnog! Seriously, I can hear a bunch of you gagging already. Tell you what, here’s what you do… Put down, and pour out that mass produced stuff you bought that carried the local supermarket brand. Go find yourself a local dairy, or a good upscale market, and get the real stuff. The good stuff. The stuff that defies having rum or bourbon mixed into it. That’s what we’re talking about. Or, read the article and try some of those recipes. And what isn’t to like about that article? It even links to that story about crazy kids trying to get high on nutmeg!
Ok, that’s five for the last Friday of the work year, and I’m out of here!
As I look out the window and see the snow falling, I think it’s time for re-run of a favorite Beerbarrel video.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Advice, Brett Favre, Christmas, Commentary, Detroit, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, John Belushi, NFL, Shopping, Silly
Wow, you take a few days off and the short week has Friday sneaking right back up on you. Not that it almost being the weekend is a bad thing really, just.. too soon. All that being said… let’s get started, shall we?
- It’s December 10th. 15 days until Christmas (14 actually, since Christmas eve is a defacto holiday, too.). Guess it’s time to get the shopping done. Don’t want people to say I was not prepared.
- On a recent trip to a “big box” retailer to pick something up, I paid cash for an item, and watched the cashier struggle as she counted the change back THREE times. THREE. And still got it wrong. She shorted me a buck. I wrote it off at that point, considering it an investment in an item for today’s column. Seriously folks.. if you’re going to put someone at a CASH register… make sure they can count in case they actually have to… I don’t know… handle cash and make change?
- Just like a bunch of other people, I picked up World of Warcraft: Cataclysm this past week. Let’s just say I’m impressed, I’m enjoying it, and I did not stand in line at midnight or take time off to play. I’m also only about halfway through one of the “starter” zones for the expansion. I never said I was a fast leveler.
- A couple of big dates in history went by this past week. December 7th (no, the date isn’t significant because of the warcraft expansion – go back to school and take a history class) and December 8th. The December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor was once called “A day that will live in infamy”, and yet I saw a lot more about the December 8th anniversary shooting murder of John Lennon. Part of me wonders if it was the 30 year mark of Lennon’s killing that caused it. Next December will be
60 70 years for Pearl Harbor (Thanks for the correction, Tiff!). I expect that will get a lot of attention. On a little different note – if you ever get the opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, do it. It’s an eerie, awe inspiring experience.
- In the news as a write this…. The FAA has lost track of quite a few planes.
The good news? They don’t mean “planes in the air”.
The bad news? The FAA “is missing key information on who owns one-third of the 357,000 private and commercial aircraft in the US”. Okay.. hold up a minute here. I can almost understand the private planes on a certain level, but commercial aircraft?? Really? I mean, is it that hard to keep track of the handful of commercial airlines who may own planes, or the companies that lease commercial aircraft to them? Seriously folks… it can’t be that big of a list, could it?
Ok, that’s five and I’m out of here (And after that post you’re probably thankful for that aren’t you?). Now, seeing as how the wow expansion just came out, I slipped a few little jokes in there. Did you find them? I’ll post clips to the phrases down below.
In the meantime… a favorite Beatles tune featuring John Lennon.
Have a great weekend folks!
Here’s the clips… there were two of them
(Did you find them?)
Posted in Feature
Tagged Cataclysm, Christmas, Commentary, FAA, Features, Five Thoughts, John Lennon, Pearl Harbor, Shopping, Silly, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Ahhhh, Friday. The best day of the work week for me. Just knowing I have two days of total relaxation is worth the 50+ hours I spend up until that point. Alright, I’m done. Let’s get started folks!
1. It’s the holidays! I will admit it that I truly love this time of year. I love the getting together with friends and family. I love the way homes look all light up with the fancy decorations. But what I really love is the food. There is one thing that drives me crazy this time of year. I will buy it every time I’m at the store.
What’s your favorite holiday snack?
2. We here at Beerbarrel Productions never shy away from the fact that we’re gamers. But even I have to admit I’m not as extreme as those that are making this “Frequently bought together” purchasing decision. Seriously people, you need to take a break.
3. Folks, I’ve never been on a cruise ship before, but I have watched the Love Boat. I’m guessing there is a lot of things you could have done besides what this man did on his recent trip.
4.If I was a professional NHL team, I would hire me. Why do you ask? Well, I can guarantee when a player will get hot because all I have to do is drop him from my fantasy hockey team. Thanks Khabibulin!
5. Finally, I give Hollywood a bunch of bad times about their lack of imagination in this day and age. I’m sorry Hollywood, I didn’t see this coming!
And that brings me to the end. BTW, make sure you all let Beer know that this was posted on a Friday and not a Thursday…..thanks!
Have a great weekend!