And another Friday rolls right in…
Howdy folks, and welcome back to another edition on Five Thoughts on a Friday. Wow. 25 years ago today, the 25th flight of NASA’s space shuttle program exploded just after liftoff. Just like that, The Challenger and her crew were gone. Regardless of anyone’s thoughts on whether going into space is worth it or not, there’s one thing to always remember. No matter how many times it’s been done, it’s still never a sure/safe thing. Breaking free of the Earth’s gravitational field is not exactly a natural act.
Ok, I admit, leading off with the Challenger disaster was a bit of a downer. Still, it’s significant history. Now, on to some fun and silliness. Where will Beermaker’s brain wander to today? Why don’t we find out?
- From the I can’t quite figure this out, I must be getting too old for this social media department… Downy Fabric Softener is now on Twitter. What exactly is a fabric softener going to tweet about?
“Okay, clothes are soft now!”? (And how many of the followers on that account are Proctor & Gamble employees?)
- I find this one amusing… Yes, I can find amusing (to me, at least) in the business section. NBC Universal is now “NBCUniversal” (No space in the new name). What’s so amusing about that? The author spends the rest of the article referring to NBCUniversal as…. NBC Universal. That’s right, in an article talking about the “new” name, the use the old name. Repeatedly. That’s some darn fine reporting there, Lou.
- There’s been an ongoing story that I originally thought was kind of fun. A piano on a sandbar in Biscayne Bay. Since the story came out though, I’ve seen two different stories with different people claiming to have put it there. Well, that finally got sorted out, and it’s gone now. Somewhere along the way though, the story ended up being not as fun. Still, Piano on a Sandbar has a nice ring to it. Maybe a good name for a Jimmy Buffet cover band?
- Looks like one of the cops from CHiPs is heading to jail. He’s being sentenced on securities fraud and could be looking at several years behind bars. Ironic, no? At least it gave me a chance to link to one of the great TV themes of all time though.
- Lost in the news earlier this week was this little tidbit. havign realized that they really only ever needed ONE color, the Department of Homeland Security is abandoning it’s color coded threat index. Seriously, it’s been at orange since it came out. Hasn’t it? As a frequent traveler, I sure don’t recall it ever changing. I’m not saying that having some sort of system isn’t important, but if it’s never gonna change, then….
Okie dokie… That’s Five and I’m out for weekend. Tune in next week when our very own Kingkielbasa will actually write the column! While I’m away on business (The business of not being here).
Since we closed by making a bit of fun of the one color threat level system.. Let’s go with… Colors!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Blog, Challenger, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Homeland Security, Miami, NASA, NBC, Piano, postaweek2011, Silly, stupid, Television, Travel, Twitter
Good Morning folks, and welcome to another Friday. And for this one, the title says it all. I feel out of the loop. So, what’s been going on? Wait, what? Oh, that’s right. I’m the one who’s supposed to do the talking (typing?) for these. Ok, let’s see what we can turn up then.
- We’ll start with an obvious one here in the office today. Firstly, a big thank you to the person who brought in bagels. We all appreciated it. But seriously, who goes though the trouble of stopping for bagels, and then doesn’t spring for any cream cheese????
- Let’s talk hockey for a second here. Overnight, it appears the Detroit Red Wings signed goaltender Evgeni Nabokov to a 1 year deal. Now, the Wings have some injury issues. Other than the fact that their #1 goaltender is back from a short injury, signing a goalie makes sense. Here’s what doesn’t. It’s a relatively cheap one year deal, and Nabokov has to clear waivers first. And he won’t. So he likely ends up somewhere else. To me, this sounds like the Red Wings doing someone a favor. The question is “who?”. The Wings have no ties to Nabokov. Maybe his agent? Maybe another team with management that has past ties to the Wings? Get out your tin-foil hats and stay tuned!
- Tearing this one from the news, I have to ask… After to you tell them what they actually did, what else can you really do to punish them? “Burglars snorted the cremated remains of a man and two dogs in the mistaken belief that they had stolen illegal drugs“
- So last week I made very little secret of the fact that I was heading to New Orleans. Great City to spend a weekend in. Had a fantastic time. I do have a question though. A friend took us to a bourbon bar, that was on Frenchman Street. And not in the French Quarter (just outside it, “officially”). Later in the weekend, *in* the French Quarter, we found a tequila bar. On Bourbon Street. So… the bourbon bar is on Frenchman street (which is not in the French Quarter), but the tequila bar is on bourbon…. It’s enough to make your head hurt! (Or was it all the alcohol?)
- You know, I’ve come to the conclusion that it really *IS* hard to do a column like this every week when you’re out of the loop. Sure, I could write more about New Orleans, but I think that’s best left to the travel blogs out there. Besides, I can sum it up like this… Walked a lot, ate a lot, drank a lot, had a really great time. Yeah, I don’t see the Travel channel’s people shaking in their boots at hard hitting reviews like that. Still, maybe I’ll think about doing a write up or two. Heck, I could even do restaurant reviews!
Ok, that’s five on a freezing Friday. Below freezing, actually. The readout in the car said 9F this morning for crying out loud! And I was loving sunny and 60F plus less than a week ago. Ah well…
Let’s harken back to the 80’s shall we, and go with something “heat” related…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Bagels, Blog, Breakfast, Commentary, Drinking, Features, Five Thoughts, Food, From the News, hockey, Music, New Orleans, postaweek2011, Red Wings, stupid, Travel
Howdy folks, and welcome to the Five Thoughts with quite possibly the longest title ever. What does it mean? Check the first video at the end if you can’t figure it out. And a-waaaay we go!
- I have to start with this one. Just have to. Flooding is bad. Looting during flooding is even worse… But being told to stay out of the water because of bull sharks being spotted in the floodwater? That’s just… yeah, just… yeah.
- I’m sitting here looking out the window at it snowing again. We got a decently snowstorm this past Tuesday as well but you know what? The days are already starting to get longer. We’re still in the grip of winter no doubt, but help is on the way. As I’ve said on this very blog before, there are 4 words that usher in the coming of spring. And it won’t be long now until we hear them… “Pitchers and Catchers Report“.
- So last weekend Seattle, who a lot of people didn’t even want in the NFL playoffs let alone hosting a playoff game, manged to beat the defending champion New Orleans Saints. Frankly, I don’t have a problem with them hosting a game at all. There’s one way to guarantee that you make the playoffs and host a playoff game in the NFL. You win your division. They did that. So the division was horrible and they finished 7-9? Oh well. They still won. Life isn’t fair, either.
- Speaking of the NFL playoffs… Looking at potential matchups, I noticed it would be possible as of this writing, if the games played out the right way for the Green Bay Packers to win it all by beating the Eagles, Falcons, Seahawks, and then the Ravens. Holy Poultry! Now, I’m not saying they will. I’m just saying that as of this writing, it’s possible. Has there ever been a bird themed run like that in the playoffs before? And why do I notice and/or think of things like that?
- Ok, I know this one seems too easy but I can’t pass it up… Where’s Yakov Smirnoff when you need him. My co-blogger filled in for him though with this description… “In Russia, fox shoots you!”. And it really did.
Alrighty folks. That’s five and I’m out of here. I need to get ready for some dinner plans for the weekend. I know this great place for cajun food and drinks…
Given the title we went with this week, there was really only one choice….
Ok, that’s not entirely true. This would work quite well, too…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Cajun, Features, Five Thoughts, Flooding, football, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Green Bay Packers, MLB, New Orleans, NFL, playoffs, postaweek2011, Sharks, Silly, Yakov Smirnoff
So it’s the new year and like everyone else I’m looking to get back at trying to get in shape. The thought of going to the gym has crossed my mind, but I realize that if I’m too damn lazy to go down in my basement to work out…am I really going to go to get off the couch, get in my car and go to the gym. Yeah, that’s what I thought. But I do have to admit…..love these commercials…
Good morning folks and welcome to yet another Friday. Yep, that’s right. It’s Friday again already. I guess it comes with being busy but it seemed like it got here awfully fast for me. (Then again, like I said – it’s been busy around here)
So let’s get started, shall we?
- Locally the story of the week has pretty much been one thing. The University of Michigan fired their football coach. The ensuing chaos coming out of the
clown college athletic department has been quite amusing. That and the calls into the radio shows from rabid fans who probably couldn’t find U-M on a map if you spotted them a map of Ann Arbor, MI. In the meantime, “As the Harbaugh Turns” goes on.
- I can see this causing riots. You can mess with tradition. You can even mess with beer. But when you mess with tradition AND beer? You’re just asking for trouble.
- WordPress has an interesting little challenge going. There’s two varieties. Post a Day, where you blog on some topic every day. And Post a week, where you blog at least once a week. What do you know? We’ve been doing that on Fridays for a while now. How about that? Don’t hold your breath on the daily updates though. Do you really want to hear from us that often?
- Interesting. Who would have figured this one. If the magnetic north pole shifts…. the Tampa Airport is effected. Who knew? Talk about weird science.
- The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is in Vegas this week. So are the Adult Entertainment Expo. And USA Today runs a story on… Hotel rates. Now, it is a pretty interesting read, outlining how much the hotel rates increased for this (Notice i did not say they had “gone up”). I’ll leave all the other jokes alone.
Ok, that’s five thoughts on a snowy Friday and I’m ready to start the weekend and watch some NFL playoff football.
A little break from music videos, going with a TV show intro (Since I’ve been going over some of them lately for a post idea)
Have a great weekend Folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, football, From the News, Jim Harbaugh, Michigan, Porn, postaweek2011, Tech