Good morning folks, and we’re again again with yet another edition of Five Thoughts. After we channeled spring fever last week, Old Man Winter decided to check in and make it perfectly clear that he’s not quite done with us just yet. We got a bunch of snow Sunday/Monday and even some more through the week, including this morning. Well, Mr. Winter? I’ve STILL got spring fever! So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Does that make me a bit loony? Probably. That’s how I come up with these thoughts, after all!
- There’s actually very little loony about this one. If you’re into automobiles at all, this story from earlier in the week should strike you as pretty cool. It’s about the storage of the automobile collection of the Detroit Historical Museum. Make sure to check out the embedded video in the article, too.
- From the I have no idea where to file this one department…. “Say what?” “Please stop helping?” Neither seem appropriate or strong enough. What am I talking about? Well, a coach was asked about a player at the NFL scouting combine. And in an apparent attempt to compliment them (and no doubt trying to help raise their draft status) he came up with this quote…
“I mean, I slapped him on the ass out there one day and I’ve got a quarter horse in Tennessee that doesn’t have an ass on him like that. He’s just a physically gifted guy and a smart guy, and just a good, good person.”
So, who should be more offended? The player? The quarter horse? I’ll just say this to the coach… Dude…. STOP HELPING!
- The space shuttle Discovery took of yesterday on it’s final flight. And the final flight of the entire shuttle program. Now, say what you want about it’s economics or if it’s worthwhile or anything like that. Just consider this one point though. The space shuttle program, despite it’s two major disasters, has made sending people into outer space seem routine. When in truth it’s anything but. Even today. There are still holding out on our flying cars and ray guns though. Do they think none of us remember The Jetsons?
- Listen. There’s dropping the ball, and then there’s “I put bacon on the menu on a flight from Israel to London” dropping the ball. I mean, I know most people love bacon, but sometimes you just gotta think. On the other hand, thanks for doing this and giving us another opportunity to talk about bacon. Now I’m hungry.
- We’re going to swing into social networking territory a little bit here. People seem to love to use these “cute” little quotes and such for things like their Facebook status and such. If all you do is copy and paste quotes of dead or famous people? You aren’t original, you aren’t witty. Your’e capable of copy and paste. You don’t get a cookie. Sorry. And the next time you see someone with one of those “Because of you I laugh a lot more” type quites? Maybe you should wonder… Is it because I make them happy? Or do you make someone laugh a lot more because they’re laughing at you? Hmm?
Ok, that’s five and it’s time to roll into another weekend. I admit I was sorely tempted to talk hockey today, but the trade deadline isn’t here yet, and there are still a few trades to make. After all, I don’t think the Senators have traded for every draft pick in the league just yet.
And to get you all thinking of warmer times and tropical drinks….
Have a great weekend folks!