Howdy folks! And welcome back to another edition of Five thoughts on a Friday. I gotta admit, I’m feeling some pressure this week. Not only did I appreciate my co-blogger filling in (quite nicely, I might add) for me last week, but when I checked on it I find he slipped a small compliment in towards the end. Saying I write interesting stuff. Great. Now I have to try to be interesting.
Still, we try to have fun here and make people giggle and laugh, or maybe think just a tiny bit. I still try to make sure there will be no math involved, though. So, let’s get started!
- Let’s start with this one. It’s from the news, but I’m not sure if it’s “green” news, news of the weird, or just news of the “WTF?” variety… A local authority in England has given the go ahead for a swimming pool to use energy created by the next-door crematorium to heat its water. Yes. You read that correctly. As they’re cremating bodies, they’re also heating your pool. Why do I suddenly want to go watch Soylent Green again?
- I ran this one buy a couple of folks here at Beerbarrel productions (ok, that would actually just be me and the voices in my head…) and we all agreed, if any of us had been involved in this the headline would have read “MAN WALKS ON WATER!! While screaming like a little girl”. What really happened though, was a photographer was talking pictures (while in the water) of the Marlin they had caught, tagged, and were releasing. Or, as the Mako shark that came along would call it.. Lunch. (The photos alone are worth the click)
- Guitar Hero is dead. As this article supposes, it’s from over-saturation of the market among other reasons. What? 841,293 different versions of the same game were too much?
- There is a group in Detroit that wants to put up a statue of Robocop downtown ala Rocky’s statue in Philadelphia. Surprisingly, Detroit’s Mayor doesn’t see it as a wise use of taxpayer funds so the group is now looking to raise the funds on their own. I like Robocop, but I think it’s a silly idea. For one thing, while the movie is set in Detroit it was actually filmed in Dallas. To the extent that Reunion Tower is visible in some scenes (look under errors at IMDB). As for me, if we’re going to do a movie character statue… Can we get Axel Foley instead?
(You know – This guy! Preferably in the Lions Varsity Jacket)
- I know I harp on it a lot during the winter, but today is Feb 11th. The reason I mention this is that on Feb 13, Pitchers and Catchers Report. The beginnings of baseball season. So I figured I’d go with some baseball news that shows baseball really has no real connection with reality. Yesterday, Pitcher Jared Weaver lost his arbitration case with the Los Angeles Angels. As a result, he’ll only get a raise from $4.2M to $7.3M. Wouldn’t you love a job where you lose and ONLY get a $3M raise?
Ok, that’s five thoughts for today and I’m going to head out. It’s snowing here once again, but just knowing that we’re closing in on spring makes it not seem quite as bad. Or maybe it was all the beer last weekend while we were away. Hard to tell. Either way, while we were on the trip I heard one of my all time favorite “out there songs” and decided I was going to use it today, so.. here it is!
Have a great weekend folks!