Hiya folks. After a long, long week we arrive at… another Friday! And that means it’s time to crank out another edition of Five Thoughts. That’s always a good way to pass some time. Let’s get right at it, shall we?
- The sports headlines of the day are being dominated by the NFL labor talks right now. We’re skipping that and flashing back to an NHL game last Saturday night (2/26/2011). Why? Well, we haven’t talked hockey in a while, and this shootout ended on a shot reminiscent of one of my favorite commercials. Check it out… Off the stick, off the crossbar, off the goalies back (?!?!?), and into the net.
- Last week I talked about the last fight of the US space shuttle program. Turns out I was one off (I know, I know, I hear that about me a lot!). There’s one more flight/mission. Discovery is done though. Why I am I bringing it up anyways? Because if they aren’t going to use shuttles anymore, NASA is gonna need to get better at launching rockets again. The latest one ended up in the Pacific Ocean. Call it a hunch, but I don’t think that’s where they were aiming.
- This quote really says it all:
“We haven’t been seeing a lot of Ronald McDonald,” said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. “They’re beginning to appeal to much more sophisticated individuals.”
Seriously man. You just used “sophisticated individuals” in a sentence talking about McDonald’s? Seriously?
- We’ve seen cars recalled for any number of things before. Ignition cylinders, suspension components, wiring, etc.. By definition a recall will fall into safety or emissions related fields to qualify, anything else is just a voluntary callback by the manufacturer. Why do I mention this? Because Mazda may have just qualified for one of the creepiest recalls yet. Spiders. Spiders in your car. Kinda like Snakes on a Plane, when you think about it.
- How can you not love an article running with the headline “Revenge of the low-flow toilets“? It would seem that San Fransisco is dealing with a little thing called “The Law of Unintended Consequences“. Or in this case… a really bad stench! But hey, any excuse to introduce toilet humor into a post, right?
Ok, that’s five (very random!) thoughts. Who else is ready to start the weekend? Let’s get to it then. On our way out, something a bit out of line with the stuff we usually try to close with. See what happens when Beermaker gets to play with the scan button on the radio?
Have a great weekend folks!