Well, I’m not even going to touch where our picks have been coming out…….
It is that time…….the Stanley Cup Finals…..the one thing that the NHL does right…..I’ll had it over to Beer for his pick to start:
Beer:”So its Boston at Vancouver for the Stanley Cup. I guess I’ll throw logic to the wind and just go on emotion. I tempted to go with the original six team. Tradition and all. However, Canada hasn’t had a cup winner since Montreal in 1993. So despite my having referred to Vancouver as a flawed team, I gotta pull for the Canucks.”
So, what’s my pick? That’s an easy one. I’ve got to go for the Boston Bruins. You can call my pick anything from wanting an original six team to win, to my mancrush on Cam Neely to the belief that Vancouver is not the greatest team that all of Canada wants it to be….I just believe that Boston will win. I think the D-men of Boston are finally gelin’, I think they believe in themselves but also realize that it’s a hard work trip and I just believe it’s time for them. I also don’t believe this round will be any different then any prior rounds….Boston in 7!
As a side note, since Beer is letting me run the show this time, I just want to say that no matter how much of a joke the NHL may be at times. It is still the best damn sport. I mean, any sport where a player takes a shot off the old nose and comes back to play…I mean, come on!
Yet, LeBron James played with a cold…BLAH HA HA HA HA!
Also, as I and others have made the comment about what a joke local sports radio talk shows have become compared to satellite radio programs….I’m sorry, but American shows covering the NHL can not touch the Canadians. Beer had sent me this link and I got chills just from watching it. I have posted it for all to enjoy. Have an awesome Stanley cup finals everyone….yes, history will be made!
Posted in Feature, Random Thoughts
Tagged Boston Bruins, Canada, Canucks, HNIC, hockey, LeBron James, NHL, Stamkos, Stanley Cup, Vancouver
Howdy folks welcome to what could possibly be the last Five Thoughts on a Friday. What? No, we’re not throwing in the towel or anything like that. It’s the whole end of the world thing. We aren’t pulling the plug on the blog, but the plug may be getting pulled on mankind. Or not. I know I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. Let’s get started, shall we?
- There’s a group out there saying the world will end on May 21st. And THIS TIME they know they’ve got it right. Turns out they got it WRONG back in 1994. Warning though, some of the stuff in the article can make your head spin. And not in the Exorcist sense.
- The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has gotten in on the apocalypse talk. Of course, they were referring to the Zombie Apocalypse. I think it’s great to see a government agency having a little fun, and getting some good info out there at the same time.
- Of course, I love a good apocalypse, but I just don’t get the whole Zombie fascination. How and when did the Zombies become the “hot” thing to cause an apocalypse?
Why not Vampires? Oh, that’s right vampires aren’t scary anymore thanks to “Twilight”. Now they F***ing SPARKLE in the sun. If that’s not a sign, I don’t know what is!
- Not the end of the world, but one step closer to the end of an era. The Sahara in Las Vegas is closing its doors. Not many of the old time places left now. I love the new ones, but there’s just something about the older ones. Better try to see what few are left before they’re gone. Or the world ends. (And it’s worth clicking that link just for the very “Old Vegas” looking picture they used in the post.)
- Or maybe the world WILL end. Of course, I considered David Hasselhoff doing “Hooked on a Feeling” to be a sign of the apocalypse, but we’re still here. Or we’ve hit the first circle of Hell.
Ok, that’s five end of the world/apocalypse themed thoughts and I’m off to to find some sort of mischief to get in to.As for your video… the easy one would be REM’s End of the World. We’re not gonna do that. Oh No. If we’re going down, we’re talking everyone with us…
Have a great weekend folks! (However long or short it may be!)
Posted in Feature
Tagged Blog, Commentary, David Hasselhoff, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Las Vegas, Movies, postaweek2011, Silly, Vampire, Zombies
Apologies folks, Beer dropped the ball on this one. And the NHL dropped the puck on the conference finals last night. This was SUPPOSED to go up yesterday morning. Ah well, that’s why I don’t do this stuff for a living. As if you needed any other clues. Anyways, let’s get to it…
Boston (2) versus Tampa Bay (5)
Kingkielbasa: Tampa Bay will win their series. I also think the Bruins beating Phillie after the debacle last year are going to be let down this round. There is just something magical about those Bolts. Bolts in 7.
Beermaker: I like the Bolts, I really do. Even thought I’ve been picking against them. I’ve been expecting the typical “Scrappy young team finally goes down swinging” for two rounds and it hasn’t happened. And they’ve beat some tough teams. So with apologies to Tampa Fans, I’m now thinking that this might be one of those teams we’ve seen before, where they catch lightning in a bottle (if you’ll pardon the pun) and come out of left field to make a run to the finals. I’m picking Tampa.
Vancouver (1) versus San Jose (2)
Kingkielbasa: Canucks. I think beating detroit in the seventh game WAS the Stanley Cup for the Sharks. Canucks in 6.
Beermaker: Canucks. They’ve both played too much hockey (13 games each already) and both teams have been shown to have huge flaws. If I have to pick one, I think I go Canucks as well.
There we go folks! Better late than never. See you again soon!
Beer & The King
Howdy folks, and welcome to another Five Thoughts. Due to Beer stayng up to watch the Wings/Sharks last night, I’m running a bit behind today and I’m pressed for time. So today’s post is going to include a quick wrap up of our second round picks, and then we’ll try to get to some silly stuff. See, I really do write this stuff on a Friday!
- It’s on the the conference finals for the NHL playoffs now. In the West you have Vancouver and San Jose and in the East it’s Boston and Tampa Bay. We’ll get to the writeup for the picks later tonight or tomorrow morning.
- I have to say it wasn’t the ending I wanted last night with San Jose winning, but as someone who’s been fairly critical of the NHL I have to give credit. That was one of the best , closest playoff series I’ve seen in a long, long time. Take away Detroit’s empty netter in game six and every single game was a one goal game. That one went 7 games and there wasn’t a snoozer in the bunch. Good show, boys. Okay… on to the silly!
- Silly, sad, or dumb? Not sure I can decide. It appears that not Maytag has decided that the Maytag Repairman is going to be taking a back seat in their commercials. Now, I know the original guy is no longer with us. And the new guy doesn’t seem to have caught on as much, but still… so much for pop culture. I guess nobody gets ANY appliances fixed anymore, huh?
- Speaking of pop culture…I’m willing to give Johnny Depp a fair bit of leeway I guess, and let him have the benefit of the doubt for now but I have to admit, When I read the headline “Depp wants to ‘reinvent’ Lone Ranger-Tonto relationship” well, let’s just say the first thought to cross my mind was the line from Star Wars…. “I’ve got a bad feeling about this”. You’re messing with pop culture history there.
- If you’re traveling in the near future, you may want to skip this next one. It’s a video of a lightning strike on a plane landing in London. Personally, I think it’s freaking cool. Especially since it didn’t harm the plane and nobody got hurt.
Ok, that’s a quick five folks. Not quite as hockey heavy as I thought it was gonna be, but still worked some in there. And now, I’ve gotta jet. Weekend is here.
You know who else knew how to jet? Hugh Hefner, that’s who. This one is worth it just for the background music.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commercials, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, hockey, Hugh Hefner, Johnny Depp, Lightning, Lone Ranger, Maytag Repairman, NHL, Playboy, playoffs, Pop Culture, postaweek2011, Red Wings, Sharks, Silly, Travel
Yesterday I gave credit on Twitter to Terry Foster from the Detroit News and 97.1Fm in Detroit for a gutsy call after the Red Wings went down 0-3 in their second round match up in the NHL playoffs. Even got a response!
So today comes game seven. One game, winner take all. Anything can happen. But I also need to give a call out to my co-blogger. Almost two weeks ago (April 29th), we posted this gem:
King: The Sharks did not look that impressive against the Kings. The Wings looked good, but not great against the ‘Yotes. This one is all heart pick. Wings in 7.
I really have to wonder though… did he expect that we’d see this series go seven games in quite this fashion? I’m gonna guess no, but no matter what I gotta say he picked it just about right regardless of tonight’s result.
Me, I picked the wings (again, to the chagrin of some) and I’ll be out to catch the game tonight. Yes. I’m a glutton.
BTW – does anyone even remember who’s playing in the Eastern Conference? Didn’t they finish up about a month ago?
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged 97.1 The Ticket, Detroit, Detroit News, From Beermaker's Brain, hockey, NHL, picks, playoffs, Red Wings, Sharks, Silly, Terry Foster, Twitter