So, were still here! (So I guess we should apologize for that, huh?) And that means it’s time to crank out another edition of Five Thoughts! (Hence the apology). Since it’s a holiday weekend here in the states, I’m sure people are itching to get the weekend started. If they haven’t already. So let’s get going…
- Not to dwell on what DIDN’T happen last Saturday. But the guy who made the original prediction is now saying the end of the world is coming in October. That it was “Always that day” and this past Saturday was just the “Spiritual Judgment”. Wait… so all the judging is done? So, that’s like school right… once you know you have the grades to pass the class, even though the term isn’t over? So, if you’re ‘saved’, it’s already set up? So, Mr. Camping, what you’re telling me is now we got a free pass until the end of the world? Talk about global “senioritis“! Party time!
- I wasn’t going to use this one. I kept telling myself I wasn’t going to use this one. But how can you pass up a headline that says “Mullet Bandit“? Answer.. You can’t. So you don’t. And I don’t need to comment any further than that. I know you’re gonna click the link. You won’t be able to stop yourself.
- Ok, now on to more fun and topical things. It’s Memorial Day here in the states. I’ll leave the proper description to the link above and focus more on some other things it’s known for.
-It’s the first real “Summer” type holiday for most of the country. Especially in the northern states.
-It’s known for lousy weather in many of said states when people try to go camping or hold picnics or parties outside.
– It’s known for being a beautiful weekend if you failed to make plans to do anything or score an invite to one of the aforementioned events.
-It’s about trying to travel somewhere and getting stuck in traffic!
-It’s the kickoff of the summer grilling season, regardless!
- Just in time for Memorial Day, Yahoo! has posted a handy guide about the Best and Worst BBQ foods. And it wasn’t even CLOSE to being what I hoped/wanted it to be. It’s one of those annoying “Eat or Drink THIS, not THAT” type of list. To the fine folks that put that list together… I’m sure you meant well, but let me be honest for a moment. If I’m having a BBQ and I hear one of my guests say something like “I’ll just have this frozen fruit bar, instead…” Well… here: (Link for those on phones)
- Another great Memorial Day tradition is the Indy 500. That’s a link to a great piece on it, but I have to disagree a little bit. I remember that being THE race growing up. These days, I think it gets lost in the shuffle a bit. I’m not sure it ever recovered from the IRL/CART split back in the 1990’s. Still, it involves really cool cars, going REALLY fast. What’s not to like? Although the days of guys running around with invisible flames as the high test alcohol fuel burned them was entertaining, too. As long as you weren’t the one on Fire. (Hey, I was young! And you never saw anything else like that on ABC!)
Ok, that’s five and it’s time for everyone to hit the road and have a great, safe, Memorial Day weekend. A little traveling music for the road. And since most of us will be playing in traffic at some point this weekend, I give you…. Traffic!
Have a great weekend folks!