Here we are on another Friday folks, and what a week it’s been. As a result, we’re going to suspend the traditional “Five Thoughts” format today. Why? Let’s get started and we’ll find out.
- We have new champions in 2 major sports! Congratulations to both the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA and the Boston Bruins in the NHL!
- That means the dog days of summer are here, sports wise. You’re pretty much looking at baseball for your weeknight sporting fix until fall. Not horrible, but not a lot of variety.
- A great series in the NHL for sure, hard to beat a game 7. But for everyone out there who wants to refer to the finals this year as “Epic”? Ah, no. Go back and look at the average margin of victory in the Boston wins. Epic if you were pulling for Bruins, maybe. Too many blowouts to be an “epic” series, though.
- What’s the feel on the NBA finals? Here at the office it seems to be “Very Good” including a game with a fantastic comeback by the Mavericks. Accurate read, or do I need to get out more?
- We have LeBron James hate. I get it, people aren’t really fond of him. I thought the whole “Decision” thing was self serving and over the top myself. And some of the jokes have been funny, some over the top, and some awful. All of them got old really fast though.
- Classy, paying for the parade in Dallas, mark Cuban. Times are tough all over and frankly, you can afford it. Still a classy move. Now the talk of getting players something *other* than championship rings? Please tell me that’s a practical joke.
- We have riots in Vancouver. Idiots. All of them (The rioters, that is). They did it in 1994, too. Please tell me those aren’t your true colors as sports fans. Your team lost in disappointing fashion, yes. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t mean a hill of beans. You really need to think long and hard about that goalie situation you have though. Because his reputation is destroyed, his confidence may be too, and his un-tradeable contract runs damned near forever. Have fun with that.
- We have more Weinergate. I’m not going to get into politics here, but seriously, dude. You Brett Farve’d a bunch of women, so let me explain. No, there is no time, let me sum up… “Guys… NOBODY, especially women you don’t even know, want to be sent pictures of your junk!” There. Clear enough? Even though Weiner did “Brett Farve” a bunch of women, he did do something very un-Farve like. He retired. Ba-dump-bump! Thank you, thank you. I’ll be here all week. Try the veal. (Okay, I admit it. I put that one in there just to set up that joke.)
- We have this story about the US Mothball fleet. Just because I think it’s cool. (Note – I do not think sneaking into places secured by the government is cool. it’s a good way to end up in a bad place. I do think the photos and the history behind them are awesome though)
Okay folks, that’s more than five. So I’m good to go, especially since I managed to sneak in another movie reference in there somewhere. And as for all those guys who just wrapped up the playoffs? Please. GO SHAVE! I understand the history of the playoff beard as well as anyone, but let’s be honest. By this point, those things are getting pretty nasty.
So, for all those players that need to shave… here’s something to shave by!
Have a great weekend folks!