Boogity Boogity Boogity Amen folks….
Wait.. what? It is? No it isn’t! You’re kidding me, it couldn’t already possibly be.. Oh.. I guess it really is, isn’t it? Damn. Wait, what? we’re already.. oh dear.. *ahem*
Hi Folks! And welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. Heh.. yeah, you aren’t buying it are you? Yeah – we’re running a bit late today. C’est la vie. Let’s get started, shall we?
- I often talk about life getting crazy. And it does. There’s burning the candle at both ends, and then there’s just taking a blow torch to the middle of it. But for all that, I don’t mind “Life getting crazy”, because it sure beats being crazy yourself. And this week, I don’t know if it was a full moon or what – but boy howdy have the loonies come out (And I’m not talking about Canadian dollars!)
Think I’m joking? Explain this headline then…
“Serial Butt Slasher Pursued in Virginia“. Yeah, you read that right.
- So, say you’re a sport that has a little bit of an image problem. Despite your best efforts through the years (including TONS of mainstream success) people still mostly associate you with your good old boy southern roots. How do you fix that? Well, probably not having people like this do an opening prayer might be a good start.
- On a bit of a lighter note – Football’s back! One of the more amusing stories so far involves the Donovan McNabb trade the to Vikings. Why? Because #5 currently belongs to the Vikings punter – Chris Kluwe. And he’s have some fun with it tweeting out things like these:
So here’s the deal. If McNabb comes and wants 5, it’s his, BUT he has to promise to mention Tripping Icarus in at least 5 press conferences.
About to go see Captain America with @Andrew_Reiner. I wonder if I can get the the Captain’s shield in exchange for my #5 from Donovan…
Always fun to see athletes having fun with some of this stuff. It especially beats the “I’ll trade you a vacation to Disney World for your number” stories.
- As a general rule, there are some situations that I try to stay away from (and not make fun of) in this space. Politics and religion are two, and things resulting in someone’s untimely demise can often be another. With this one though, I just can’t do it. This is so out there..
Dude, we get it – you’re grieving. You’re also in flat out denial, apparently. The toxicology said:
“was both drunk and high at the time of the collision”
The husband doesn’t buy it though… He’s SUING THE STATE OF NEW YORK!!! So, The driver was drunk and high, on the worng side of the road… and it’s the states fault?!?!?!
- Ok, this last one isn’t cuckoo crazy, it’s just flat out insane crazy. This should have been filed under “Kiss your rear end goodbye”, but that’s not the case at all. Watch the video to see what I mean.
Ok, that’s five and apparently, I’m on the verge of another weekend! So, we’ll head out with this one and remember folks, it’s never a good idea to do anything that requires starting with the phrase “Hey, hold my beer”!
I know I’ve done – Coming to Take Me Away in this column before, and there was no way I was putting a Britteny Spears video up, so you get this one!
Have a great weekend folks!
Holy hot Friday Batman! Howdy folks, and hiya from the blistering heat of… the great white north???? You’d think we were living in the desert or something here lately, except for the humidity. Oh well, could be worse I guess. Let’s get a move on, shall we?
- Since a good chunk of the country has been experiencing the same heat we had, I figured we’d get a celebrity to come in and talk about it. And since that didn’t work, I found a clip on youtube. So, just how hot is it?
- On the gaming front, I think this line sums it up nicely from an article yesterday on CNET.
“A slight disturbance in the Force was felt this morning after BioWare, LucasArts, and EA announced that Jedi and Sith everywhere can now preorder Star Wars: The Old Republic for a limited time.”
I’m undecided on the pre-ordering. Heck, the game is still in the beta. I’m pretty sure you WILL find me logging in once it goes live though. Even if it’s just to have a look around at it. Of course, it isn’t ALL great news on SWTOR front. It appears some people aren’t thrilled with the plan for a limited launch. Me, I’ll admit to not thinking too much about it. Of course, talking about Star Wars gives me an excuse to use this, too. And any excuse to use this one is always welcome. Go for papa Palpatine!
Heck, since we’re on a Star Wars kick, let’s throw in one more!
- Like a lot of other people. I’m fascinated by Shark Week. And it starts July 31st. Apparently, nobody told the sharks though. They seem to have started early.
Last week there was a report of an 18 foot Great White in Massachusetts. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that movie before. But then today, I find another article about sharks. Now, I’ve always thought those folks in South Africa who go out to watch the flying great white sharks in boats smaller than the sharks were crazy, idiots, insane, well… you get the picture. Why did I think that? THIS, This is why I thought that. The damned shark LANDED ON THE BOAT.
Chief Brodie, what do you think of all this?
- Of course, not to be out done. Some dogs have gotten in on the action in the land down under. A dog was swimming around and actually bit a shark! Yes, you read that correctly. It doesn’t say the dog was bitten by a shark, it says the dog bit the shark. That’s right, Fido was doing the biting.
- My my my, we’re killing the bandwidth with the videos today, aren’t we? So let’s keep it up. They say you’re not supposed to cry over spilled milk, right? Well, how about One Million Dollars worth spilled wine? Cry? I’d probably be screaming bloody murder. Again, it was worth One. Million. Dollars.
Ok, that’s five and we’re off to see the lizard.. no, wait.. that was yesterday. Some friends (not me) went to see Jimmy Buffet. He was definitely the king of somewhere hot last night. Me, I stayed in and tried to stay cool. So, let’s head on into the weekend. And although I know my co-blogger will probably start doing his “Hulk Smash” routine when he sees I used it, I have to close out with this one. It’s just too easy.
Have a great (and cool) weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Dogs, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Heat, Heat Wave, Hot, Jimmy Buffet, postaweek2011, Shark Week, Sharks, Silly, Star Wars, Video Games, Videos, Wine
Happy Friday folks, and welcome to another Friday. What’s been going on.. well… Let’s jump right in and find out, shall we?
- Beer’s currently writing this from an undisclosed, secure location. No, I’m not being guarded by the Secret Service. You see, I know I had mentioned last week that we’d talk about some homebrewing and stuff this week, and that was indeed the plan. Then the 7-11 storm hit. No, we didn’t get pelted with Slurpees. That would have done less damage. We got a nasty storm. 70+ mph winds. Broken trees. And no power. Yuck. So, no writing at the house, and no beer brewing for Beermaker.
And by broken trees, I mean like this….
- Why no beer brewing? Well, for one.. I use electricity when I brew to run a small pump. More importantly though, the brewing equipment is in the garage. And I couldn’t open it. Yes, I know exactly how the emergency release works. It was actually the small matter of my electric line laying across the top of my garage that kept me from trying to open my metal garage door. See how that works? I like NOT being electrocuted.
- Other than that, it really hasn’t been horrible. It hasn’t been unbearably hot, so the house is comfortable. We kept the freezers closed, so we didn’t lose anything (What is with some of these people who throw out their whole freezer after 5 hours?), although I think the frozen turkey may have acted as a giant ice block. And… I got to play with a chainsaw again! And got stung by a bee. The chainsaw was definitely the more fun option.
- Speaking of chainsaws… There is something inherently ingrained in the male psyche about power tools. The bigger the better. So when you head around the neighborhood and everyone has the little 14″ toy chain saws for cutting shrubs, it’s very satisfying to look down and look at this one.
It also brought this to mind…
- Since this post has been mostly about destruction, instead of homebrewing… How about closing with a news item that combines a bit of both (at least allegedly) from across the pond:
Boston explosion: Unconfirmed local speculation of home brewing at unit
Now, a couple of quick thoughts on this… As a homebrewer, I find it highly unlikely that if they were brewing something, that it was beer. I’ve had beer “explode” before. It is not a violent, rapid, flaming explosion. That would be cleaner. No, when fermenting beer “explodes” it’s generally because the airlock on the fermenter plugged up with the gunk (called krausen). The resulting CO2 pressure then usually blows sticky, slimy stuff all over the place.
Now, if they were DISTILLING something on the other hand… But, that’s a story for another day.
Ok, let’s head on out. And since I have been talking about a lack of power, let’s head back to the 80’s for an easy solution.. Power Station!
I’m off to spend the weekend with my chainsaw… Might be a BABF in my near future. (BABF = Big A$$ed BonFire)
Have a great weekend (with electricity) folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Blackout, Chainsaw, Commentary, Electricity, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Home Improvement, Homebrew, postaweek2011, Silly, Slurpee, Trees
Howdy folks! Did you miss me? Probably not considering my co-blogger not only filled in for me last week, but I log on today to find that he actually posted something else? 2 posts from him in less than a week? I almost fell off my chair! Still, let’s see what we’ve got here for our vacation shortened week this week.
- Meant to put up a trip about the recent vacation, but kept getting sidetracked. And once it wasn’t up by Wednesday evening (we got back Tuesday night) well, it wasn’t gonna get finished. Yet another post for the scrap heap. I’m not big on comparing notes with others, is it normal to have more unfinished posts than posts?
- Sticking on the road trip theme… For the Independence Day holiday (aka 4th of July) Beer did the All-American thing, the road trip “up north”. That’s right, we hooked a trailer on the back of the truck, burned up a bunch of gasoline and headed to the lake. Nothing says “Americana” like burning a bunch of gasoline and blowing up fireworks. Except maybe playing with the chainsaw. Or the dock breaking. And beer. Definitely beer. Homemade, even!
- (And this one goes here because after drinking beer.. well…) I don’t know how they’ll pick the lucky “volunteer” for this, but I’m guessing it’s either gonna be lowest rank or shortest straw that “wins” the honor of testing it out….
NASA’s Stillsuit: Atlantis Crew to Test Pee-Recycling Bag
“One of the four astronauts aboard space shuttle Atlantis will test the recycler — with an experimental fluid, not their own urine — toward the end of their 12-day mission”. Blech.
- Arriving in the mail right after our latest vacation? Details on our NEXT vacation. Hey, it’s a tough life, but someone has to live it. Right? As for the details? When we get back. I follow my own advice, and don’t publicize the dates and times of my trips all that much. It’s a good one though folks, trust me. (And yes, this one was purely self serving. You get to do that when you write it.)
- As I alluded to in a tweet earlier this week, I stumbled across my old copy of Knights of the Old Republic again this week. And yes, I installed it and played a little bit. Still a very fun game, even if it looks a touch dated now. And it is not helping at all knowing that Star Wars: The Old Republic, the shiny new Star Wars MMO is looming on the horizon. Might even be enough to pull me out of Warcraft. Yes, I’m still playing. Not as much, but still there (Not playing much of anything right now, it’s summer and things are busy. It’ll pick up soon though). Still, it also has me thinking about retro gaming. Might be a fun little feature.
Ok, that’s five all over the place thoughts. Sorry for being so scatter brained, but after being off on vacation, a quick 3 workdays was all that stood between me and the weekend. And the brain took full advantage of that. So, we’ll work on something a bit more focused for next week, but until then, have a great weekend folks!
And for all you Star Wars fans out there… here’s a trailer for the new MMO:
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Features, Five Thoughts, Fourth of July, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Homebrew, NASA, postaweek2011, Random, Silly, Star Wars, Vacation, Video Games, World of Warcraft