Howdy folks, and welcome back to another one of Beermaker’s crazy, silly, occasionally amusing, and always self-indulgent posts in the “Five Thoughts” series. What are we going to talk about on this gray, wet, and rainy Friday? Well… let’s find out!
- For starters… It’s the first day of fall. And.. The sky is falling!
” Satellite still on course for Friday re-entry; destination still unknown”
Now, when I said it was raining I meant actual rain. You know, water. Not giant hunks of flaming satellite remnants! Then again, the satellite is only 6 1/2 tons and the size of a school bus so the odds of someone somewhere on earth are only pegged at 3200-1 by NASA. Those don’t seem like great odds, do they?
And the destination unknown? That’s bothersome. Not only because of the uncertainty, but because it got this song stuck in my head!
- And in the “This is no shock” department.. Some people have no sense of humor. Apparently, a mom group has a problem with the new Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor, Schweddy Balls
Wait – women who DON’T like ice cream?????? Ok, cheap shot, I know. But how can you not get a laugh from this?
- I have to mention this next article, strictly based on the sheer amazement I felt in realizing the amount of work people are putting into redesigning… A Ketchup Packet!!
Seriously… This was a problem? After over 40 years? The old ones stopped working or something?
- As has been fairly well documented by now, I was out traveling around last week. And I returned home to a dead refrigerator. Actually, it’s wasn’t completely dead. The power was still on and it was recirculating warm air instead of cold. Let’s just say I have a pretty good idea what a dead body would smell like now. And apologies to the trash guys who picked up that garbage can. They probably thought they had found Jimmy Hoffa. Nope, just spoiled beef and turkey.
- Fortunately, being a homebrewer generally leaves you with two things that make returning home from vacation to such a situation as I did far more bearable. Those being:
-A Second, (and in this case – a Third) spare refrigerator.
Amazing how something like a few cold brews can help out.
(So much for another Alcohol Free edition, huh?)
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. I’m out of here to start in on my weekend. And as for the dearly departed fridge? You what the worst part was?
Not the lost food. Not the money the new one cost us. No, the worst part of coming home to a dead fridge? That Smell.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Features, Five Thoughts, Food, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Homebrew, Homer Simpson, NASA, postaweek2011, story, Travel
Today was the airing of the original episode of Family Ties. Growing up, I remember tuning in to watch this show every week. I was a huge Alex P. Keaton fan. So much so, that I use to get dressed up in skinny ties. I even believe that his character led me career path wise to where I am now. Say what you will about those tv shows from the 80s, but I never knew that I was growing up in an end of an era for well written sitcoms. Boo to reality tv….BOO!!
Spam, Spam, Spam…
Folks, it’s time to talk about spam. And not the kind pictured above. I actually like THAT stuff. Did you know they serve it with damned near everything out in Hawaii? It’s true. They even make Spam sushi!
No, I’m here to talk about the online equivalent of old postal junk mail. Yeah, THAT spam. Now, I have to admit – most of it is annoying, some of it is obscene, and a lot of it can be downright malicious (Either looking to infect a machine, or steal personal info). But to read some of it.. I have to laugh at some of it.
We had a few comments get caught in the spam filter here recently. Most were gibberish – unintelligible links and such with no substance to them. But there were two.. Oh were there two. I think they were just spitting words out of random word generator or something. I couldn’t help but laugh.
So now, in all their glory (and none of their trackbacks or links) is what I found:
We particularly treasured learning your distribute. Many thanks!Your area of look at closefisted to be able to the neural all the best, do you consider the Rss feed nutrition ?
Who knew an RSS feed needed nutrition?
And not to be outdone…
Unquestionably suppose that you simply expressed. Ones much-loved rationale looked like there was on the net the most effective thing to learn. I explain to you, When i certainly receive agitated even though folks think of problems that people obviously don’t understand in relation to. Everyone been able to come to a finger nail upon the very best and in addition outlined your complete idea with no need sideeffects , persons will take a transmission. Is going to be to read more. Thank you so much
Yeah, I often come to a fingernail. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to take a transmission.
And since the opening of this was designed to hopefully stick this song in your head… here you go!
I firmly believe that my co-blogger has cut a deal with the National Association of Alcoholic Beverage Licensing based on his tweets lately. Since I didn’t get any of the money from such deal, I’m making sure I don’t make any reference going forward at this point. I’ll teach you not to share!!!!
1. I have to say I’m pretty impressed that a large enough group of people actually followed through on their threats. A recent article in the Chicago Tribune puts the loss of Customers to Netflix to over a million. Power to the people I say!
2. I recently heard that Kristie Alley was turning 60! That is nuts. For those of you too young to know Kristie Alley before she was on Jenny Craig and before she had a reality show, she was on a little known show called Cheers. Can I just say that they just don’t write TV like that anymore. Sigh. Here’s a great clip for you young kids..watch it and then get off my lawn!
3. Speaking badly of Hollywood again, news has leaked out that they are going to make a Point Break remake. ENOUGH!!!! STOP!!! Point Break is no where near my favorite movie or is it a classic, but it does have a certain vibe about it that made it unique. Hollywood, didn’t you learn from your Conan remake?
4. Now, I will say once again.. There is a New Muppet movie coming out. I can’t wait. Okay, now I just used that as an excuse to post another Muppet video…yeah, I’m that lame.
5. So the famous Crown Vic is finally riding off into the sunset. I always thought that the car was under appreciated by people and listed as an “old person”‘s vehicle. I guess Ford Marketing just never marketed to the proper people…
And for a final bonus video clip….oh yeah…I’m going there….
A departure from the normal silly stuff here for a moment today…
On our recent trip home from vacation we encountered a bit of a snafu on the return flight (As my Twitter feed will attest to). Now, it was aggravating, annoying, frankly unnecessary, and in light of the news today… nothing more than an inconvenience.
As I write this, news is breaking that a plane crash in Russia has claimed the lives of at least 43 people. The Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey team was aboard the jet. I’m tempted to type out some of the better known names, but I think that would be a disservice to all of those who died in the crash. My co-blogger sent me a note with a tweet from TSN hockey writer Bob McKenzie. I think it sums it up.
“RT @TSNBobMcKenzie RT @dchesnokov: Lokomotiv :”At first we didn’t want to believe it. But right now there is no hope. The team is gone.””
Truly a tragic day for the hockey world. This quote from Kingkielbasa pretty much sums it up for me… “Can we say this is the worst year for “hockey” so far?” Yes, yes we can.
Why do I mention this? Because in my shock at the loss of these hockey players I noticed a tiny little blurb at the bottom of the article. It’s been in several that have come across the wire now, all saying roughly the same. This exact quote comes from the Sports Illustrated article I linked to above: “In June, another Russian passenger jet crashed in the northwestern city of Petrozavodsk, killing 47 people. The crash of that Tu-134 plane has been blamed on pilot error.”
That last line will get lost in the shuffle of this horrible news, but it bears keeping in mind for perspective. As upset as we really can get at the little things when we fly “What do you MEAN my bag is too heavy?”, “I’m going to miss my connecting flight!”, “Our seats aren’t together like we requested!”, “My bags didn’t get put on the plane!”, “We’ve been waiting for a gate for an HOUR!” all seem pretty insignificant when looked at through the bigger lens, don’t they?
I got home from a trip irritated and 4 hours late the last time I flew. Since June, 90 people flying in Russia didn’t make it home at all. If that doesn’t give you perspective, I don’t know what will.
Take care folks