Howdy folks and welcome to this week’s Five Thoughts. We’re sort of giving ourselves the day off here today. Being lazy and all. Let’s get at it, shall we?
- Happy Black Friday. This stuff has really gotten out of control, hasn’t it? Let’s start at midnight, let’s start camping out for Friday on Monday.. Sheesh. Not my thing, that’s for sure. I have the day off, the last thing I really want to do is get up early and shop. Besides, I’m still fighting off the food coma from yesterday.
- Today is the day after Thanksgiving. While I still think it’s a bit early due to the way the calendar fell this year, it is now acceptable to start playing Christmas music and turning on your lights.
- I’m looking out the window and the sun is shining. I have to admit, I was kind of hoping for some combination of cold/rainy today that would support staying inside instead of going and working on the things that need to get done in the yard. Can’t win them all I guess.
- I’m back into the SWTOR test this weekend. I wonder if that had anything to do with me wanting the weather outside to me miserable? Ah well.
- I have to admit I was really getting sick of some of the “Do you know how much sodium/how many calories/ how much fat” stories all the news channels were running last week. And will no doubt continue to work in as we move towards Christmas. It’s the holidays people. Celebrating and over eating is part of the deal. If it was a normal pattern of behavior I agree it would be a problem. But if you don’t make a habit of eating 4500 calories at every meal, doing it once a year on Thanksgiving isn’t a big deal. So have some fun already!
Okay, that’s a very quick Five Thoughts for the day. I now return myself to my regularly scheduled day off. And since I know my co-blogger is off to see a certain movie. And we talked about playing the music, and lighting the lights….
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Black Friday, Christmas, Features, Five Thoughts, Food, From the News, Muppets, postaweek2011, Silly, Star Wars, Thanksgiving, Video Games
“Um.. Beer? You know it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, right? It isn’t the end of the year, it’s not really even all that close to it.”
Hush, and let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Anyways, it’s the last Friday before Thanksgiving in the United States. Next week is Black Friday. With that, the holiday season is off and running and there’s no stopping it. By the time you blink it will be Christmas and then the year will be over. So everyone, take a deep breath and say goodbye to 2011. Because after this weekend, you aren’t going to have time. Anyways, on to today’s post! (I had actually intended to go a bit video game centric in today’s post. What with doing the Star Wars: The Old Republic weekend test last weekend and all. Then the reviews from the LA Auto show started to show up online. And my inner gear-head got all cranked up again. So, let’s start with cars.)
- News from
Bizzaro Land, um Los Angeles. The old rules of the known automotive universe no longer apply. Nissan now has a production car (The 2013 GT-R) that will do 0-60mph in 2.7 seconds. I’m gussing it will also get you a speeding ticket in roughly the same amount of time. Not to be outdone (But a completely different type of vehicle), Ford Motor company whipped up some sort of alternate universe Shelby GT500 that has 650 horsepower, will push the 200mph barrier, and… doesn’t get hit with the gas guzzler tax!!??!?!?!! How is that even possible (Don’t get me wrong though, I highly encourage this type of thing!)?
(Both links are worth following, just for the pictures of the cars)
- From the land of “Apparently Hollywood is never going to learn, or admit they have no new ideas”… NBC has not only accepted a script…but has ordered the production of a pilot. Of the Munsters. Listen, I liked the original Munsters a lot. I love the Munstermobile (Both of them actually, don’t forget Grandpa’s ride!).
But Hollywood, let it go, folks. Frankly, I’m shocked that they aren’t doing a reality TV show for the casting of the pilot. Oh crap, I hope I didn’t just give them an idea.
- Doing the segue… Speaking of pilots (Of a different type). A bit of a scary moment turned comical the other day when the truth finally got out. The captain went to the restroom, where he got stuck due to a faulty door latch. The poor co-pilot, who got left alone to wonder why the captain wasn’t coming back got a message from a passenger. Frankly, I can see some people getting upset when they hear the audio, and I can understand it. But I can also see the co-pilot’s point of view. He opens that door, and control of the plane is at risk. The captain though, I feel for him. How would you like to be known from now on as “The pilot who caused an emergency landing by getting stuck in the bathroom”. He’s going to have to own that one, because there’s no avoiding it. But hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go.
- Switching back over to gaming, as I tweeted earlier in the week, I had a blast testing out the Star Wars game last weekend. And I see there are tons of giveaways for beta keys for the next test weekend now. I think it’s going to be a very good game. Will it threaten Warcraft? I don’t know. WoW has it’s own big content patch coming soon (4.3). Looks like there may be some gaming to be done here in the near future. I’ve also stumbled across The Godfather: Five Families and will give that a look, but I’m expecting to see something akin to mafia wars on Facebook. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong.
- Back to television for a moment. I miss “That 70’s Show”. Why do I miss it? I miss it because I miss Red. He got it. He understood that if you’re going to host a pornographic website, as a teacher you probably shouldn’t use your SCHOOL DISTRICT ISSUED LAPTOP to work on it. If you do, that makes you, as Red would say… A Dumbass.
Okay folks. That’s Five and I’m ready to get the weekend (and the end of the year) started. By this time next week we’ll all be in holiday mode. Or a food coma, which is kind of the same thing. Anyways, no music this week. Instead we’re going to let William Shatner make sure you all stay safe if you’re looking to fry a turkey this year. There was no way I wasn’t using this video.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Autoblog, Cars, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Holiday, Porn, postaweek2011, Silly, Star Wars, stupid, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Thanksgiving is rolling towards us, and when it comes to this holiday, there’s really only one holiday special that comes to mind. The old WKRP “Turkeys Away” episode.
Yes, it has some commercials, but it’s totally worth watching. Like the post title says, it’s a Thanksgiving classic. After all, you get to hear the line “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”.
Howdy folks, and happy Spinal Tap Day (And yes, it’s Veteran’s Day, too. A far more important remembrance. Just having a little fun here folks). That’s right, it’s 11-11-2011. Or, 11-11-11. Let’s be honest here for a second. If you get the reference, then you knew there was no way it wasn’t going to get mentioned somehow, somewhere in this post. If you have no clue what I’m going on about, well… go check out “This is Spinal Tap“. It’s a comedy classic. It goes to eleven.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way… On with today’s post!
- On the what can break next front.. Beer’s found out that the answer is… the furnace! That’s right! On the day we get the first snowfall of the season (And temps dropping down to freezing), the furnace quit working! Fortunately, we have a very effective fireplace and space heaters (And someone on the way to fix the furnace). So it isn’t all bad.
- On the gaming front, I’ve been getting back into World of Warcraft a bit lately. Just that time of year I guess. More time inside than outside, etc.. That could be threatened here going forward though. I’m restricted from saying too much, but there is a new game coming out this year that I managed to grab a beta invite to. Lets just say it’s set Far Far Away. Will definitely be checking it out this weekend. Hmm… I have a pretty new gaming system, I wonder if I can run them both at the same time?
- The Black Friday ads are starting to get published. Nothing like getting all those 4am shoppers fired up a bit early, huh? As I wondered last year.. seems like every year these ads seem to “leak” out early. Almost like it’s intentional. Just saying… Speaking of Black Friday, the day preceding it in the States is
Football Thursday Thanksgiving. And this year, that Thanksgiving turkey dinner is going to cost you more. Unless you’re like me, and turkey has been banned from your household due to a refrigerator “incident” (aka, Failure!). Funny how these stories always come out this time of year. It’s like it’s on the calendar of all the news organizations, “Okay, time to do the ‘turkey dinner cost is going up/down’ story for the year”.
- I have to tread carefully on this one, I know. But as someone who sees things slightly differently in life I can’t help but laugh at this. There’s just a symmetric irony to it. The Office Professional Employees International Union is picketing. No big deal, that’s what unions occasionally do. That’s normal. They’re picketing Solidarity House. Yes, you read that right. The OPEIU is picketing the home office of the United Auto Workers, aka the UAW. So this is a union on union picket. Think about that one for a moment. The thought of it made me laugh.
- There’s a lot of things that can tip someone off to “This relationship might have some issues”. When I try to think of them though, I usually don’t come up with “Wife causes a bomb scare when she has a GPS tracking device attached to her husband’s car“. I’m thinking that would probably be pretty high on the list though. Maybe just below attempted murder, I’m not sure.
Okay folks, that’s five thoughts for this Friday and it’s time for Beermaker to start the weekend and download a beta client. But, before you go, don’t think for a second you’re getting out of here without at least one more “This goes to eleven” Spinal tap reference. You know you want to listen to it. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, postaweek2011, Spinal Tap, Star Wars, Thanksgiving, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Howdy folks, and welcome to yet another five thoughts post here at The Beerbarrel. It’s been a crazy busy week here. What with the weekend boondoggle to Toronto last weekend, then Halloween on Monday. I feel like I blinked and it was Friday. I have to admit, that’s both a good, and bad thing. It’s great because it means the weekend is about here, but it also feels like I haven’t really accomplished anything of note. Oh well, onto the post!
- There’s this writing thing going on right now. NaNoWriMo it’s called. It stands for National Novel Writing Month. Yours truly got an email asking if was going to try it. My response? Are you kidding me? I’m good for about one or two posts a week! A novel? Oh HELL NO! Besides, I don’t consider myself a writer. Oh sure, I can write. My grades on research papers in school proved that (So did one research project getting published). There’s a difference though. Just like being a blogger doesn’t make you anything but a blogger (It doesn’t make you a journalist or a novelist). Even if I ever do somehow spit out a book or novel, I’ll still just consider myself “A guy who wrote a book/novel/whatever” Not a Writer/Novelist/Etc. Now, that being said – this NaNoWriMo thing? It seems like a pretty interesting concept. Some people really get into it. And some of them can turn out some pretty interesting stuff. So if you’re surfing around the web a bit looking for something to read – check it out.
- There’s an excerpt from the new Steve Jobs book that talks about some of his dietary quirks. Apparently he flirted with a diet called “Fruitatarianism”, in other words, only eating fruits (and nuts). “Basically, the reproductive parts of plants that can be consumed without doing any harm to the plant itself,” TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer explains. It goes on about some of the restrictions and stuff, but really got me was this quote… “Plus, it’s an expensive diet to adhere to for a long period of time, Bauer points out.” Okay, for every day people, yes. But um… hello? Steve Freakin’ Jobs! Pretty sure he could afford it. Don’t believe me doc? Why don’t you hop on your iPhone or iPad and check out his estimated net worth?
- One of the greatest videos you’ll ever see hit the internet this week, as a Boeing 767 landed in Poland, WITHOUT IT’S LANDING GEAR DOWN! Now, first off – that pilot is a Stud, First Order, and we’ll get to why in just a moment. Second – again – video, cool as hell. But lastly, and I can only think this is either a massive compliment to the skill of the pilot (And I’m sure that’s a large part of it) or while the plane was burning off fuel for its landing the passengers were raiding the liquor cart. Several passengers were quoted in this article saying they would have thought they landed with the wheels down. What, all the smoke and sparks flying by didn’t give it away??
- Sticking with the plane again for one more thought. I don’t have the knowledge base to say if the plane will likely either be scrapped out, or eventually repaired and returned to service. I am however, willing to bet that the seats in the plane will likely see service again either way. Why do I bring up such a trivial point? What exactly do you think more than a few people did when they heard the announcement “We’re going to be crash landing with no landing gear”? Now then, think about that for a second the next time you’re on a plane and you hear the flight attendant say “Your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device”. Smelly, huh?
- Mashable has a cool article up – 7 ways to create buzzworthy content. I checked, and we don’t do any of the 7. I think they left the easiest one off of there though. Score scandalous pictures of a celebrity and post them on the site. That seems to get a lot of buzz and web traffic. Unfortunately most of it would probably be coming from said celebrity’s attorneys getting ready to sue you and shut you down, but still.
Okay, that’s five thoughts folks (And no celebrity photos that would get us in trouble… this week). So with that, it’s onto a weekend of home improvement and power tools!
So we should expect to see a guest writer next week then while you recover from injuries? Shut it, brain!
Okay folks, time to head on out. Now, I was tempted to jump on the “play Christmas Music already” bandwagon just to get a rise out of some people. But frankly, that bugs the heck out of me, too. So… here’s something I doubt will get mixed up with Christmas Music.
Have a great weekend folks!
It’s the day after the Halloween holiday and it got me thinking of some of the things that came up last night and from seasons past. I thought I’d place them here and see if anyone else agrees with my thoughts.
* If you’re holding hands with anyone but your parents or grandparents while treat or treating….you’re probably too old.
* If you’re talking on a cell phone while coming up to my door holding out your bag…you’re probably too old to trick or treat.
* If you have boobs that would make a super model jealous and they aren’t balloons or another fake item…you’re probably too old to trick or treat.
* If your costume consist of a basketball jersey and a basketball…you’re probably too old to trick or treat.
*If your brother/sister is sick or grounded and you were carrying a bag for them….they probably shouldn’t get any candy for a reason.
*If you’re going to put up a huge halloween display weeks before, you probably want to actually be there to pass out candies on the actual day.
*I get it if you don’t believe in the holiday, no worries, but to leave your light on and trick the kids into coming to hear the “word”….wrong.
*I also get it if your neighborhood is so bad that you have to take your kids somewhere else so they can be safe. But come on…..park the car and walk with them! This driving along side of the road as they go house to house is cheesy.
*Finally, in these tough times, I get the buying the cheapest candy possible. I also get that you are only giving out one piece of bubblegum as a treat. I just want to thank those people that go against the grain and actually still give out bags of potato chips….You guys are awesome!
And since now I sound like an old man…I leave you with an old clip…