Howdy folks, and welcome to what’s likely the last post of the year on this blog. It’s certainly the last Five Thoughts of the year. We’re out of Fridays. Anyhow, I’m feeling rather lazy today, so let’s get started, shall we?
- I’ve been out of the office since Christmas and I’m amazed at how fast the time can still go by. And even more amazed at how you don’t realize it.
- While it’s great to unplug from the grind and recharge the batteries it can make keeping up with what’s going on in the world around you a bit tough. Especially when you through in all the holiday obligations and such. Like college football bowl games!
- Just once before I go back to work I *would* like to get a good night’s sleep though. It’s amazing how efficient a small dog can be at hogging a huge bed and the covers.
- Been getting in some gaming time playing the new Star Wars MMO. I really like it. And the way it ties back into the old Knights of the Old Republic games is a fun bonus.
- Lastly, as a quick and easy out to this week’s post… Happy New Year everyone. Next up, 2012. Hopefully everyone will have a great one, and we won’t see the end of the world. Although we’re sure to hear about it. Again.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ll see you next year!
Have a great weekend and a Happy New Year folks!
Howdy folks and welcome to the last Five thoughts before Christmas. It’s pretty quiet here today, so I’m just going to jump right in.
- Off on break for the holidays, and since it’s the night before the night before Christmas. I think I’m going to keep this one short this week.
- It’s the holidays, and we’re all eating too much, aren’t we? I know I am. It always seems like the office has a magic tub of Christmas cookies this time of year. No matter how many cookies people eat, it’s still got cookies in it!
- I still need to finish up Christmas shopping for one person. Other than that, I’m done. And I’ll be heading out to finish that bit of shopping here shortly. Hope everyone else is in good shape too.
- I always wonder on a day like today. Knowing that you’ll be overeating tomorrow…. Do you try to go light today, and save room or do you go big, and try to get “warmed up” for the next day? Decisions, decisions….
- Lastly, but certainly not least I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. And if you don’t celebrate Christmas? Have a Merry Christmas anyways. Why? Because if you do, you’ll at least have a nice day. And everyone deserves one of those every now and then, especially this time of year. I think so, at least.
Okay, that’s five and I’m off to start the holidays and finish my shopping! Now, if only we could do something about the fact that’s I’m still looking at my lawn and not the white stuff that’s supposed to be on the ground this time of year.
Merry Christmas folks!
Apparently this morning was officially “Bad Remakes of Christmas Songs” day on the radio. I’m not going to name them outright, as I have no desire to re-live the horror they inflicted upon my ears. Instead, I’ll try to drown it out with a double shot of underrated Christmas musical fun.
Considering we currently have far too much
We’re being threatened with a Wet, instead of White Christmas.
Someone needs to place a call to this guy and get that fixed.
We’ll post some more tomorrow if we think about it.
Have a great day folks!
Good morning folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. So, what are we thinking today? Why don’t we find out….
- First thought of the day.. LAST FRIDAY IN THE OFFICE OF THE YEAR!! Sorry for shouting. Had to get that out of my system though. Yep, as of this time next week it’ll be Christmas Vacation. Works for me! A fun thought for the season though, I tried it out last weekend. Everyone gets caught up with the “Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays” debate. Try this instead.. Don’t say Merry Christmas. Don’t say Happy Holidays. Say “Mele Kalikimaka”. They’ll be stunned. And confused. And then they’ll smile. Hey, it worked for Bing Crosby!
- If you’re like me you still have anywhere from a little to all of your Christmas shopping to get finished up. Well, if you’re like me that also means you have pretty much one week to get it done. So, you have been warned, folks. (Luckily, I’m on the “one more thing” side of the coin this year). And for the record? As I write this SantaClaus.com says you have 8 days. But remember folks, that’s for the start of December 25th. So if you need to have them wrapped and under the tree before then….
- I am now playing the release version of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Yep, I got my early access email. I’m still creating/deleting characters though, trying to figure out what to play. Eventually I’ll probably try one of each I think – just to see the stories. Things are slightly different from the beta. I could probably do a whole review post on it. We’ll see. What really struck me though, wasn’t anything directly related to the game. No, it happened when I had finished creating a character and hit play. A cinematic starts with the famous Star Wars “scroll” and the music. That music. It blows my mind how this many years later, all you need is the first note, maybe two and you instantly recognize it.
- I think I may have to bring Red back for this one. Seriously, you’re a professional athlete. And while I know that doesn’t set you up for life by default, it sure can if you’re smart about it. But if the story about Sam Hurd of the Chicago Bears being arrested is true, well… Red?
- And after that last one, well… I have absolutely nothing mean to say about this story. As we get closer and closer to Christmas (And other assorted holidays), I think it’s nice to hear about something like this every now and then. Maybe there is a little hope after all, you know?
Okay, that’s five and I’m ready to head into the weekend. The holidays are bearing down fast now, so we’ll keep with the theme of running another holiday themed song. I don’t think this one will draw a rebuttal from my co-blogger though. Apparently, he just really doesn’t like that song I linked to last week. This week? Vince Guaraldi. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend folks!
So it seems I sparked a bit of a… well, I don’t want to call it a ‘war’ when I pondered in last Friday’s Five Thoughts” if my co-blogger still felt the same way he did Last Christmas about a certain Christmas song. He managed to respond with the (in)famous Ding Fries are done video. I know it’s wildly popular online, but I can’t say for sure that I would call it a “Christmas Song”. But Since it is Christmas time, i figured, what the heck, we’ll run a few more Christmas songs up on the blog. Just for the fun of it. Let us know if there’s one you want us to try to find. In the meantime, it’s true. Christmas time is here again.
Since my co-blogger had to call me out of hibernation with his video post. I strike back with one of these:
Beer’s Brain: Uh oh, looks like the wooden porch steps are still all snow covered this morning.
Better watch your step on the way down here, make sure you don’t sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!
Hey, don’t blame me man. I tried to warn you. Maybe time to retire the summertime shoes, huh? Go with something with a bit more traction?
Oh just shut up already and tell me where we left that snow shovel.
Yeah, that’s how my day started. Must be getting close to Christmas now!
Howdy folks, and happy December to you all. Did you get enough to eat last weekend? Still eating leftovers? Did you survive shopping on black Friday if you went? Personally, I think I’m just now starting to come out of the food coma I put myself into. Anyhow, let’s get cracking and see what five things we can think up and mock today, shall we?
- It’s now December 2011. That means we’re now less than a month from 2012. You know, the year the Mayans got to when they were making their calendar and stopped. Prompting theories that 2012 will prove to be the end of the world. And now, we have undeniable proof that may well be the case.
Remember the band Hanson from the 90’s? They sang that MmmmBop song? Well, now they’re coming out with an “MmmHop” Beer. Yeah, if that isn’t a sign of the apocalypse I don’t know what is.
- Staying on drinks here for a bit, now that we’re heading into the holidays it’s time to start planning this year’s egg nog hunt. No, I’m not talking about that stuff from the supermarket. No, I’m not going to make my own. I go out and hunt down some from a local dairy. It’s the type that’s so damned thick it defies any attempt to mix in a nice dark rum or bourbon into it. Unless you do it right. THAT’S the kind of egg nog I’m going hunting for.
- This one is a bit of a buzzkill. It’s not holiday related at all. It’s about how our smartphones are logging our data. All of it. Without an opt-out function. Bah, Humbug indeed. Not cool folks, not cool.
- Back into a more jolly mode for this one. In an effort to become a more helpful blog, we’ve decided pass along a link to guide for ‘Gifting the gamer in your life‘ from CNN. It’s far from the only list out there, but there are some decent suggestions to be had if you need help finding a game for someone.
- And once you’re done with all that shopping (Hopefully well before December 23rd or 24th), it’s time to kick back and relax. One of my favorite choices is, of course, beer! So with that in mind, Imbibe has a listing of their “Best Holiday Beers“. Be warned though, as some of the beers on that list have a kick of their own, with some hitting 14% alcohol by volume. Ho Ho Ho!
Okay folks, that’s Five and I’m ready to start the weekend. And on the way out, just because we like the song around here…. It’s a Marshmallow World!
Have a great weekend folks!