Howdy folks, and welcome to an edition of Five Thoughts that I am utterly and completely unprepared to write. Hence the title today. But will that stop me? Heck no. We’ll just wing it and make it up as we go. After all, it’s Friday. So we got that going for us. So with that in mind, what should be talk about today? Let’s find out!
- The Phantom Menace launches in 3-D today. At first, I was staunchly against the idea of seeing it. All I could think of was “Great, they probably re-rendered a few scenes to have ships fly off the screen – big deal”. Then I caught George Lucas talking about it on television. He said he wasn’t a big fan of the gimmick angle of it. He talked about how it would add depth and such. Okay, that kind of makes sense. I can see that. I am now somewhat intrigued. I’m saving the outright morbid curiosity for the originals though. Because I really want to see how well a movie originally filmed in 2-d in the mid 1970s translates to 3-d in what would likely be 2015.
- Much to the chagrin of my co-blogger, I’ve started finalizing plans for more of “Beer’s Boondoggles” this year. I’m still not certain how many there are going to be yet, but I can assure you that at least one of them is truly a doozy. (Hmm… I got to use boondoggle and doozy in the same post. Awesome). I may yet be able to create a travel section for this silly little project. I’m thinking some trips to New Orleans, Toronto, Chicago, and possibly a stop or two in Florida would do nicely. Maybe throw a Vegas trip in there, too.
- In music news, the first Van Halen studio album featuring vocals by David Lee Roth went on sale this week. I don’t have it, but I’ve heard some of it. Now, I’m not going to pass any sort of judgments on it. That’s not why I’m talking about it here. The reason I’m mentioning it at all is because right as this album comes out, what comes to my attention? The first song off of the new Chickenfoot album. Who is Chickenfoot you ask? Well, aside from a band that I used to close out one of these columns about two weeks ago – It’s the band made up of Joe Satriani, Chad Smith, and Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar. You know, two guys who USED to be in Van Halen. Am I the only one seeing a bit of a coincidence here? Hmm?
- In sporting news, we’ve truly hit a dead zone. The Superbowl is finished, and all we’re really left with is basketball and hockey. Now, that’s not to talk down to people who enjoy and follow those sports. Heck, we’re both hockey guys here on the blog. It’s just that even basketball and hockey are sort of hitting their “dog days” right now. You know, the middle of the season where you can tell it’s a grind towards the playoff push. The NHL tried to make some noise yesterday though. Finally “Announcing” that the Winter Classic will be played at Michigan Stadium pitting the Red Wings against the Maple Leafs. Of course, pretty much everyone who follows the NHL knew that it was coming. Still, it was a pretty cool announcement. Considering the announcement included a ton of hockey to be played outdoors at Comerica Park in Detroit. College hockey (GLI Tournament), minor league (AHL), and major junior hockey (OHL). Great for hockey, great for the city ofDetroit. You won’t see me anywhere near the 115,000 people they’re expecting at Michigan Stadium for the game though. Too many people for my tastes. I’ll probably be somewhere with palm trees for the game, anyways. Yes, more boondoggles.
- This weekend features some home repair on the docket for Beermaker. Going to be putting in a new garage door opener. Now, I’ve fought off my inner Tim “The Toolman” Taylor and the urge to mount a twin turbo-charged 4 cylinder gas powered garage door opener. You know, 220 horsepower, closed door to open door in .02 seconds. No, we’re going to be going with a standard issue stock electric model. Probably a ½ horsepower model. The only hitch? It’s going to be cold. Why does it always have to be cold when you have to work on stuff like this? Cold hands, here I come!
Okay, that’s five and I’m out of material for the day anyways. There’s some snow coming down, an my mind is on how the convertible is going to handle in this. Again, I need to be somewhere with palm trees. Like the Caribbean. And since it was just Bob Marley’s birthday….. Here you go!
Have a great weekend folks!