Howdy folks! And welcome to another coffee fueled edition of Five Thoughts on a Friday. It’s nine o’clock, is six cups of coffee too many to have had already? Anyhow if I start forgetting to put spaces in between words it’s probably because that’s rate stuff is running through my head right now. That being said… let’s see what’s rattling around in Beer’s noggin this morning!
- Watching some of the NFL draft last night, my strange mind once again wandered to the types of things only I wonder about. The first round of the NFL draft is great live action theater. The player gets a call from the coach/GM of the team drafting them as the pick is announced on the stage. Out comes the player, on the way out they are given a team hat. They walk out, hug the commissioner, and are given a jersey with their name on the back. Now, that’s all fine and good for the 1st round picks, but how do they keep up later in the draft? Do they have an army of people with sewing machines getting jerseys ready and then sewing them up as the pick is turned in? And why do I wonder about things like this?
- Rocker Ted Nugent recently had to have a little sit down with the Secret Service (an organization that has apparently had a few issues of their own lately). Now, I don’t care if you’re off to the right, off to the left, or off the deep end. If you say what he said, you’re going to get a visit. And rightfully so. That being said, Vice President Biden’s plane was recently the victim of a bird strike. Which makes me wonder who the Secret Service is going to talk to about that. If I were Big Bird, I might be a little nervous right now.
- Aside from the draft, two NHL game sevens last night. Both ended up being one goal games, with one going into double overtime! Great sports night to be watching more than one television, it was. Second round picks later today, probably. Mine were suitably awful in the first round. Only one game scheduled for tonight. Coyotes vs Predators. I was suitably impressed by the Preds, and watched none of the Coyotes/Blackhawks, so I’m going with the Predators in six.
- The new 2013 Shelby 500 details are out, and all I can say is… 662 horsepower??? Are you freaking kidding me? I love it, but this has kicked off a right brain/left brain debate in my head. At what point do we cross the line? I mean, think of the average driver (who thankfully will likely never be behind the wheel of one of these monsters) and their (lack of) driving skills. They’d hopefully only do harm to themselves and (unfortunately) the car in the 30 or fewer seconds it would take them to lose control and wreck.
- Giant cannibal shrimp!!! Everybody Panic!! Oh, wait. They’re giant by shrimp standards, but not sea monster sized. Still, it’s a serious invasive species problem. However, I can see a solution here. They are apparently tasty. If there’s one thing humans have proven over the years is that we are more than capable and willing to eat a species to the brink of extinction. And a tasty shrimp that can reach the size of a lobster? Get me a grill, some garlic butter, and I’ll off about 4 of them for dinner.
Okay folks, that’s a quick five and I’m off! Since we touched on the draft again, and since most fans always think that their team is going to get better with the arrival of newly drafted players (because who wants to think “That guys going to make us much, much worse!).. Hope springs eternal. So in honor of all the hopes now riding on the shoulders of those new draft picks we’ll go with Mr. Blue Sky.
Have a great weekend folks!