Good morning folks and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. Somehow we’ve made it through another week. So as we wait for the weekend to get here, let’s see what’s bouncing around inside Beer’s Brain this week, shall we? After all, there’s more than just rocks up there…
- I threatened someone that I might put a particular subject in this week’s post, and I’m leading off with it straight away. In fact, I came up with this week’s title based on it too. You see, I’ve got some family that recently got back from a trip. And there were pictures. Oh boy, there were pictures. Now, if you’ll all get off my lawn for a second, Grandpa Beer is going to tell a little story. You see, once upon a time, you not only had to bay for this stuff called “film” to put in a camera – you also had to pay to have the film developed so you could get your pictures. Why am I talking about this? Because in the digital age – I think it’s time to remind people of a few rules for photos because the cost aspect of film and development has gone away. First, just because you can take 9,000 pictures on your digital camera does not mean you SHOULD. If you don’t have a good shot of something, don’t take a photo of it anyways. Second, and this is just as important (maybe even more so)… when you ignore my first rule and take 9000 pictures, sort through them before you upload them all and start sending them to people! Honestly… that great picture you took where your thumb takes up half the frame? You can delete that one. The blurry one where you got three of the monument you were going by because the tour bus bounced? That one can go too. This has been a public service announcement by the beerbarrel. You may now return to taking too many pictures. Thank you.
- Over the course of the last weekend – apparently pretty much everyone in the United States except me went and saw the Avengers. Yes, it made that much money. So I had to laugh when I saw this weekend that Marvel Studios officially confirmed there would be an Avengers sequel. Like there was really any doubt??? The move has grossed $702 million as of last weekend. What studio wouldn’t make a sequel? And while we’re on an Avengers note.. I found this to be rather cool, since I used to watch the old TV show. Lou Ferrigno helped voice the Hulk in the movie.
- Switching gears a bit… There’s celebrating Cinco de Mayo, and then there’s stealing an entire trailer full of Corona. And while the thought is amusing, a story like this always makes me wonder. How exactly does one go about stealing a trailer that’s full of beer? I mean, you can’t exactly back an F-150 or Silverado up to the trailer and pull it away. It takes a fairly specialized vehicle to be able to haul that. That would sort of limit people’s options I would think. Still, I think the police have the right idea. Stake out the supermarkets and farm markets and check for people buying massive quantities of limes.
- Now, I don’t profess to know anything about the mind of someone who thinks blowing up a plane full of people serves some sort of purpose. I don’t think rational minds work that way, but I am starting to wonder about some of these terrorist guys and their underwear bombs. Another plot involving an underwear bomb was recently stopped. Let’s get something clear… these people have a very unhealthy obsession with blowing themselves up via their underwear!! Come on people… try another shoe, or a sock, anything but underwear! It’s getting kind of creepy. In an “icky” kind of way.
- The days of the electric car are growing near.. There’s a quick charger for one in a public parking garage near my house, and there are several models of either pure electric or plug in hybrid that are available now, with more of the way. I’m not saying I think they’re going to replace gas engines anytime soon, they’re just becoming part of the equation. Well, most of them anyways. But when your $100K plus electric vehicle starts out by dying unexpectedly and needing repairs for a magazine like Consumer Reports, and then ends up being a suspect in a house fire? Well, that particular vehicle nameplate can expect to quickly go the way of the Ford Pinto…. Because in some cases, and press is NOT good press. And this is one of them.
Okay, that’s a crazy, rambling, list of five on this sunny Friday. So I’m going to stop pretending I want to be here writing this and see if I can figure out a way to get out there and enjoy myself. I’ll try to do better next week. Maybe.Until next time, please, remember to think before you click a photograph. Think of the bandwidth and battery life you’ll save!
Have a great weekend folks!