Howdy folks, and welcome back to another “Beer is fresh back from vacation and totally unprepared for this post” edition of Five Thoughts. So, having been honest and gotten that out of the way let’s see where we land this time. Shall we?
- Yesterday was a sad day for hockey fans in Detroit, as well as around the league. Nick Lidstrom has decided that 20 years is enough for people adding a gratuitous ‘n’ to his name and has called it a (very well distinguished) career. No more number 5 in the lineup for the Red Wings. If I can make one small suggestion for when they hang that number in the rafters…. Do it at the 5th home game of the year. (Why does my brain come up with stuff like that?)
- Like a lot of people – Beermaker did the road trip thing this past holiday weekend. Unlike a lot of people, I ended up in between two forest fires in northern Michigan over the weekend, one in the Seney wildlife refuge and the other being called the Duck Lake Fire. So, now I can cross that off a list that includes tornadoes, water spouts (that was actually pretty minor though) as well as a class three hurricane. So, who wants to come along on the next trip and see if anything else happens?
- Apparently today is National Doughnut Day. That means the chance to score a free doughnut! And no self respecting fan of Homer Simpson can let that go by without mentioning it. Or thinking of this video.
- Like just about everyone else on the planet, I heard about the “Naked man killed by police while eating another man’s face” story. And I was going to leave it alone. Too weird, too easy, too… eeeewww. Then I checked CNN this morning and find this headline… Sheriff: Maryland student, 21, admits eating housemate’s heart, part of brain What the heck is wrong with these people?? I think maybe the zombie thing has finally maybe gone a bit too far.
- Lastly, I’m going to have a little fun at the expense of my co-blogger who fills in for me when I’m off on my boondoggles. You see, you can usually tell who’s writing any particular “Five Thoughts” post by the title. It’s pretty simple actually, because even though we base things off of the number five – this little feature isn’t about math. At least I don’t think it’s about math. Specifically, it isn’t about arithmetic. You see, it’s an “edition” of Five Thoughts not an “addition”. Because I’m pretty sure that would make it “Six Thoughts”. Drum roll please!!
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ll try to do better next time. Unless I can con someone else into covering for me so I can be off on another boondoggle. In the meantime, one last story from the road. We awoke Saturday morning to a very calm setting. The winds were still and as a result there was a blanket of smoke that had descended on our location. Being as we were up at the lake, I took the opportunity to make a joke about what we were seeing. There was smoke… on the water. And the joke failed miserably. I need to upgrade my traveling companions knowledge of musical history, apparently. So for those who are still wondering what I’m going on about? Have you been living under a rock your whole life? I’m talking about Smoke on the Water!
Have a great weekend folks!