Howdy folks and here we are yet again with another edition of Five Thoughts. We’ve wrapped up another week, and I have to say… Life seems to really be picking up steam lately. Not entirely sure how I feel about that. There’s something to be said for slow and leisurely rather than break-neck and off the tracks. Still, that’s not the subject of this blog so let’s see what Beer’s brains has for us the week. (I don’t always know what I’m going to write once I start typing – I don’t get filled in ahead of time, either).
- First off, congratulations to the Los Angeles Kings who won the Stanley Cup earlier this week. As a result, PB and Kingkielbasa ended up tied for the most correct picks. And although I had picked the Devils, I am glad to see them get the win. There are some very good hockey people who have been in and around the game for a very long time with that organization. And now they finally get a ring. Of course, I can also list off a bunch of reasons why this year’s playoffs was a disaster for the league, but that’s another post altogether.
- Speaking of sports leagues, and things that are bad for the league…. The commissioner of the NBA decided he wanted in on the buffoonery. Now, I’m no big fan of the NBA, or of sports personality Jim Rome. However, David Stern’s response to Jim Rome asking something an awful lot of people have mentioned… the belief the NBA draft may have been rigged, was an utter embarrassment. even so, I’ve already seen several lawyers take up the NBA commissioners response was a textbook example of a “loaded question”. One you can not answer without incriminating yourself. Apparently they’re trying to make the argument that Mr. Rome’s questions was a similarly “loaded question”. While it may be true that “Have you stopped beating your wife?” is a loaded question, I’ll tell you what else it is. Utterly Classless and Inappropriate from the commissioner of a sports league. Any attorney who wants to argue that point, should probably ask themselves why their profession sometimes has the reputation it does.
- Okay, let’s shift from that to sandwiches! Everyone loves sandwiches, right? I mean, you gotta eat! Yep, no trouble here. Nothing at all. Nobody at all calling 911 to report that the deli is making their sandwich wrong. Yes, you read that correctly. Someone was so concerned that a deli wasn’t making a sandwich the way they wanted it, that they called 911 and asked the dispatcher to send someone over to help. Personally, I’m surprised someone who thinks calling 911 over a sandwich dispute is even capable of ordering a sandwich on their own! Let alone being able to tell if it’s made correctly. Or, as Red would put it…. Red?
- I mentioned this next bit of news to a couple of friends, and had to immediately restrain them to keep them from running off to the local bars and clubs. Seems they misinterpreted the headline.
Study: Cougars making comeback as sightings rise across Midwest
You see, they’re talking about the big cats. Not the slang term that you’ll find over at urban dictionary. And if you do own are bar or club? I can guarantee you that you don’t want one ofthese cougars in your establishment.
- Thought that last one was cheap? How about this one? I’m going to close by wishing all the Dads out there (Including my co-blogger) a happy Father’s day this weekend. Folks, don’t get dad a tie. Buy him a fancy beer, a bottle of scotch, a video game… anything but a tie. Or just take him out to dinner. Dinner would probably be appreciated too. Me? I’ll probably be living up to my pen-name and making some beer!
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m done for the day! Since we talked about Fathers, I feel the need to grant some equal time. So here’s something for Mom.
Have a great weekend folks!