Good morning folks, and welcome to yet another edition of Five Thoughts. We’re suffering a bit today from what I’m un-affectionately referring to as “Weekus-interruptus”. As in, the July 4th holiday and the extra day off I took on Thursday has totally messed up my schedule for the week, effectively making a Friday feel like a Monday. Not cool. So, With that in mind, let’s see what Beer’s brain has cobbled together for today’s post. Shall we?
- Staying close to home, I’m not sure about this one. It appears the state of Michigan hopes to cut down on drunk driving by using talking urinal cakes. This makes me think of 2 points. First… How exactly do they plan to use these in the women’s restroom. And second… I’m willing to bet one of these things gives a drunk a heart attack at some point when the urinal starts talking to him. (I guess that *would* succeed in keeping him off the road though….)
- If you haven’t heard… There was a small ‘technical glitch’ on Wednesday night that caused the entire San Diego fireworks display to go off. All at once. The pictures and video of it are crazy. And of course, there are a lot of people who are either angry, upset, or dissappointed in what happened. Me, I’ve got four words to describe it. Greatest. Grand. Finale. EVER.
- This is a story I’ve been keeping an eye on for a while, and I’m frankly surprised it hasn’t gotten more coverage. I supposed it probably will when we get right down to, and then past the very last minute. Why, because at that point, if you have an affected (infected) machine… the FBI is going to pull the plug on your internet access. And that’s the point where I expect this will become a big story in the news.
- See, cool stuff like this never happens to me. When I go up into to the attic of the house and pull up floorboards, all I ever get to find is dust, a lack of proper insulation, bad do it yourself wiring jobs that could cause the house to burn down, and other stuff like that. I don’t ever get to find bottles of whiskey that are nearly 100 years old. I don’t know if I would try to drink them though. The fact that they’re that old, and still full is part of what makes it so cool.
- Hey, Look! The lifeguard who got fired for saving a drowning man? He’s getting offered his old job back! Yes, you read that right. A lifeguard got fired for saving a man’s life because the man was swimming outside of the roped off “swimming area”. Since the lifeguard left his “assinged area” while on duty, he was fired. Now, after making several statements to attempt to justify the firing (Apparently these people don’t know enough to stop digging when they’re in a hole) the company that fired the lifeguard is prepared to offer him his job back. Isn’t it amazing what a crushing amount of negative publicity can do to change a company’s position on something? The best part? There’s a note in the story that mentions the lifeguard has already stated to the press he wouldn’t accept an offer to return.
Okay folks, that’s five on the sixth and I’m ready to get this day done and over with so I can enjoy the weekend. So, let’s head on out to… a song that’s been stuck in my head since I heard it in concert last weekend. This. Exact. Song.
Have a great weekend folks!