Happy Friday folks! I realized last week that I had strung together quite a few of these with “Beer” in the edition name I give each of these posts, so when I started coming up with a theme for this week I decided to tweak it to keep the trend going. Needless to say, I’m in a great mood this morning… more on that later though. Let’s get started on what was originally going to be the “Beaches in Mind” edition!
- Why does Beer have beaches in mind? Because, you guessed it, it’s time for another one of Beer’s Boondoggles! And almost as if on cue this morning, what do I see in the news? An article detailing some of the things the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has found in people’s bags (remember, these are the CHECKED bags!). Now, you would expect the occasion Cuban cigar, maybe even a handgun or two (actually, they find a LOT of these) but I certainly would not expect them to find eels, cannonballs, bear mace, or a fully fueled CHAINSAW! A chainsaw, really? Sheesh!
- Good thing that in all my travels I’ve never run across a situation like this. I mean, I like to think I do fairly well for myself (who doesn’t?) but I’m not sure I want to pay for the gas for an airliner. I don’t care how many travel points I get with my card! Filling up the pickup truck is painful enough!
- Keeping right on with the travel news… I’ve talked to a couple of friends about this. Most of them are parents, and they still share my basic opinion on this next one. We don’t get it. There’s been a lot of talk in the news lately about a policy held by at least two Australian airlines. That policy being male passengers seated next to unaccompanied minors were asked to swap seats with a female passenger. Now, apparently someone has gotten all worked up saying he felt he was treated like a pedophile. Maybe it’s different down under, but like I said, when I polled some friends, we didn’t get it. Most guys I know are more than happy to be moved away from the little kid that isn’t their own so they can get a some peace and quiet on the flight! I guess we’re just mean.
- More travel related stuff… sensing a theme here yet? I’ve come to the conclusion that its never a good idea to watch Shark Week before heading off to the ocean, but I do it anyways. Thank God they don’t have “Plane Crash Week”. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a shark in an ocean to cause problems. Apparently upset with the lack of attention it’s species was getting (Or just jealous of all of the shark coverage), a Pennsylvania beaver decided to make like a shark and attack a swimmer. Now, it wasn’t the part about it being rabid that caught my eye, or the fact that the beaver was killed. It was how lucky that swimmer consider himself after reading this line… “a beaver swam through his legs and bit him in the chest”. Think about that one for a second.
- Last but certainly not least… This weekend brings the return of the Woodward Dream Cruise. If you’ve never been, and you like cars, you must make plans to attend at least once. It’s just one of those things you need to do. The vehicles you’ll see there are amazing. Of course, you’ll leave with the itch to go buy something that goes really fast.
Okay, that’s five and with that I’m turning over the keys to the place to the King and PB for the next little bit. Fair warning, I haven’t left any specific instructions for them beyond one of them needs to do a Five Thoughts next week. Other than that, they can do whatever they like. And with that, I’ve got boondoggles and beaches in mind! Oh, and beer, and rum. Need those too!
Have a great weekend folks!