Good morning folks, and welcome to yet another Friday where we ramble on about random things. Now, I don’t want to go all Dennis Miller and get on a rant here today, but fair warning. Today might be a bit feistier than normal. I had the “good fortune” to go grocery shopping the other day, and I knew it was time for a refresher course on some things before I even got through the parking lot. So.. here we go!
- Folks, there are laws.. and then there are Laws. The former are arbitrary man made legislation. Don’t speed, stop at stop lights, that type of stuff. There other is science related. It’s known as a law because it’s been proven repeatedly to be true. It’s your basic “If x, then y” type of thing. Why do I mention this? Because the amount of people meandering through the parking lot, walking out in front of moving vehicles without even looking is staggering. Folks, take the phone out of your ear. Stop yammering to the person next to you and look where you’re going. Don’t give me this “Oh, they’ll stop” BS or claim the right of way. Because here’s where the difference in laws and Laws comes into play. The laws of whatever great state you live may say something along the lines of “A pedestrian in a crosswalk shall be given the right of way”, and that is the arbitrary man made law. However, Mr. Issac Newton discovered some other Laws. They’re known as the Laws of physics. And you know what, when you step off that curb into your crosswalk right in front of several thousand pounds of moving metal? We can put “Had the right of way on your gravestone. Physics don’t lie folks. The moving metal (aka a car, truck, bus, etc.) has the right of way. It’s going to win that fight. Every time. So, don’t be stupid. It will hurt.
- Speaking of people being stupid….. I barely even know where to start with this one. It seems the second-in-command of New Mexico’s domestic security agency was caught trying to bring a loaded gun through an airport security checkpoint in Albuquerque.
Let’s start with the obvious… the “I forgot to leave it home” defense. Okay, I’m sorry you were going to a funeral and you say you were ‘distraught’ but you do not FORGET about a gun in your possession. I fly a fair amount every year. I remember not to pack the little pocket knife I have when I go to the airport. I’d damn sure remember a freaking GUN!! Especially when you work as a freaking security official! My favorite line from the article though? “Airport police chief Marshall Katz says he’s not sure how a person of Tallarico’s position could make such a slip-up, but added that it happens frequently nationwide.” Well, yes and no. Lots of
idiotsahem, people, try to bring guns through checkpoints. Not a lot of security agency officials do it! Lady… Here’s your sign…
- Staying on the subject of guns… and stupidity… I think the phrase that applies here would be “This Will Not End Well”. As much of a fan of bars/taverns/drinking as I am, even I question the sanity of wanting to open a bar and gun range. This is not Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. This is not two things that go great together.
- This is not stupid. Hot on the heels of the news that former first overall pick in the NFL draft Vince Young is bankrupt, this young man is smart. Alfred Morris is a rookie with the Washington Redskins. And he’s still driving his 1991 Mazda. I’m not saying the man doesn’t deserve an upgrade if he wants one, but after hearing so many stories about players being bad with their money, it’s nice hearing one about a player being smart with his money. Even (especially?) at the start of his career.
- And lastly, we go from an uplifting story about a young man being smart with his money, to a story about some people getting held up. Literally! Now, I’m not afraid of heights, and I really wouldn’t have much of a problem being stuck up there at first. But the article notes that they were stuck up there for four hours. And what worries me is that “when you gotta go…”. Yeah.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ve ranted, cajoled, congratulated, and made fun of enough stuff for one week, I think. And since I’m getting static for taking too long to get this post put up this week, I’ll cut it short and close out. Time for the weekend! On the way out, let’s pull one from the obscure “Beer, how in the hell do you remember these things?” pile of new wave music. Nemesis.
Have a great weekend folks!