Good morning everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. We’re going to try to have our review of our less than stellar picks in last weeks NFL playoff games, as well as our guesses for this weeks games up this afternoon. In the meantime, let’s see what sill stuff is rattling around inside Beer’s brain this morning, shall we?
- Well, college football season is pretty much over. I say pretty much because we still get a few ‘bowl’ games like the senior bowl and the like, but the real games are done. And out of all the games comes a very cool story. I sometimes think we get so much bad news all the time (Because that’s what sells) that we forget that every now and then, some people do some very cool things. Like faking an injury in a bowl game. Yes, this time it’s cool. Because by faking that injury he allowed his backup, a non-scholarship ‘Rudy’ type guy, to get into the game. See, there is still some good news in the world. Plus, it’s a Rudy reference that lets me use one of my favorite commercials from the bowl games. Tim Brown and ‘Rudy’ going to the Heisman House.
- And while we’re talking about college football and the end of the season, I have to bring this up. I’m I big fan of statistics and measurements, and computerized analysis and all that, but when it comes to sports, well… “That’s why they play the games”. You never know what could happen and it gives you “The eyeball test”. Case in point, the BCS championship game. Alabama in a rout. Yet one BCS computer… picked Notre Dame as the #1 team even after its loss to Alabama.
- This past week, David R. Ellis passed away. You might know him better as the director of “Snakes on a Plane”. In one of the more fitting tributes… A large python boarded the outside of a Quantas flight from Australia to New Guinea. And it also gives me a reason to go with… “Snakes on a Plane”‘s signature moment. (Warning, foul language)
- I was drawn to this next headline by the simple absurdity of it., “Sweden seeks 2 Britons for smuggling garlic“. And apparently I’m out of the loop as far as how lucrative and widespread the garlic smuggling industry is. Those guys were smuggling millions of dollars worth of garlic. Here at home, I can by a bulb of garlic cloves for less than a buck – and that’s retail! Just how much demand for garlic is there in Sweden??? I mean, the Swedish Chef never struck me as the type to use a lot of Garlic.
- And lastly. I wanted to note there that yes, I have head and noticed that “Hockey is back!”. First off, hockey never left – just the idiotic No Hockey League did with their lockout. And second – no, I am still not going back. And oh, by the way… there are already articles talking about impending labor trouble again before this CBA is over… So yeah, losing most of a season and a bunch of fans… to once again not really fix it for good, totally worth it, right No Hockey League? Me, I’m good without hockey. We have the Superbowl coming up, and then in Mid February come the words to signal the end of winter.. Pitchers and Catchers report. Play Ball! (Or at least… “Do… Baseball!”
Okay, that’s five and I need to get going. I have a Boondoggle to start planning. Yes, another one. More details soon. No, I don’t have a problem. I can stop traveling whenever I want. I just don’t want to. I’m not an addict.
Have a great weekend folks!