Howdy folks, and welcome back to Five Thoughts. Sorry about last week’s little kerfluffle. The weather we got hit with wasn’t nearly as bad as what the east coast ended up getting, but it was a rain/ice/snow mix that managed to mess up rush hour and totally killed any chance I had to write the post last week. This week… no such problem, so let’s see what we’ve got shall we?
- Well, let’s start with the obvious story of the day. A day after the new Die Hard movie (set in Russia) opens, it turns out that Russia could have used a sequel to one of Bruce Willis’ OTHER movies as a meteorite went streaking through the sky before exploding near Chelyabinsk. Crazy, crazy stuff! Check out some of the videos that have already made it online.
- Let’s see… anything else interesting or earth shattering happen this week? Hmm, oh here’s one! You may have heard a tiny something about the Pope announcing his resignation. It’s only the first time that’s happened in 600 years. But my favorite bit of news to come out of it is an article about the reporter who broke the news. Covering the event where the pope announced his resignation (in Latin, no less!) she first sat through about 20 minutes of other announcements regarding church business. I can imagine she was probably only half listening when she experienced one of those.. “Wait.. did he just say…?” moments.
- Circling back to impacts… Talk about phone calls you don’t want to have to make. “Hello, boss? Yeah, um… You know that shiny blue, pre-production 2014 Corvette Stingray with the manufacturer plate? Well, the good news is there wasn’t anyone hurt. Unlike the car, and probably my career”. Yep, we don’t know who did it (Colonel Mustard was unavailable for comment) but we know it was out in the Arizona desert with the new Corvette.
- I’m going to file this one under… you call this news?? “Passengers cheer escape from ‘horrible’ cruise” Really, these people have been stuck on a disabled cruise ship with no power, no working plumbing, and food shortages for 5 days and it’s a story when they’re happy to get of the God forsaken boat? What, you expected them to be sorry they had to leave because they were having such a good time?
Wonder if they’ll ever be able to watch Gilligan’s Island the same again?
- And lastly, it’s no secret that I believe there are far too many people in this world who just don’t know WHEN to put their cell phone down. Case in point… If you’re in a plane that’s had its engine cut out and you have to make an emergency/crash landing…. I don’t care how calm you remain or how certain you are that ‘everything will be okay’. Put the damned thing down already!
Okay, that’s 5 and I’m out of here. Nothing fancy to close week this time, just a reminder that Spring Training is now well underway. Winter’s almost over! And I need to go plan another boondoggle! You know, a holiday!