Howdy folks, and welcome to today’s edition of Five Thoughts. Now, I’ll admit I may be taking some liberties with the “Food” theme today, but trust me… it’s all arguably somewhat food related. Just wait and see. (And if you’re of a certain age group like I am… you might be hearing an old Heinz ad jingle right now. Anyone remember the “anticipation” commercials?)
- While we’re on the subject of ketchup… I’m guessing prices may be going up slightly here in the short-term. And I’m pretty that the snow plows used to remove the remains of thousands of bottles of spilled ketchup from an accident site were never exactly designed or tested for that use. Don’t they know that’s what french fries are for??
- Okay, arguably this is more ‘beverage’ than ‘food’, but you get the tie in, right? And that giant scream you heard off in the distance recently? The one where you thought you were just hearing things? No, it was real. It appears it was the cellar master of the Chivas distillery upon realizing the scope of the “accidental loss” (aka a SPILL) of what the distillery will only say is “Less than the estimated 18,000 liters”. So, you lost less than roughly 4700 gallons of whiskey? Wow, don’t light a match by those sewers anytime soon!
Could be a repeat of this classic scene.
- And of course, one of the big stories right now in the food world is the horse meat scandal that going on. And earlier this week it claimed its largest victim, with the horse meat being linked to the Swedish meatballs at Ikea. Be honest now. You did it too. Just like I did. The minute you read that headline, your mind instantly thought of this. Didn’t it? The Swedish Chef popped into your head.
- This one made me laugh. One of the big, hot “urban renewal” things right now is “urban farming”. Basically, growing produce on lots in the city. Now, in a “This is news to you?” type of twist, some brain surgeon has figured out that letting people grow food on lots that could have qualified as Superfund sites, could result in harmful chemicals getting into the food. Really? Those lots where a new development couldn’t go because of contamination, or where the 90-year-old crack house got torn down might not be the best soil to grow food in? Where are the Guinness guys to yell “Brilliant!” when you need them? Oh, here the are!
- Lastly, because it’s Friday and I’m going to be lazy about it. No, that’s not entirely true. When a fast food chain basically writes the joke for you, you should use it. It’s the respectful thing to do. So the announcement by Subway that they’re now going to offer six inch subs for $3? Hey, why not. They already cut their footlong subs down to 11 inches, remember? Yeah, Yeah. I know. Ba-dum-bump.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ll stop playing with my food now! I know, I know. Okay, maybe just one more. After all, there’s really only one song to close out with here today. After all, you aren’t supposed to play with your food. You’re supposed to Eat It.
Have a great weekend folks!