Howdy folks! Beer’s back from yet another boondoggle to bring you this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thank you to PB for filling in for me last week while I was out of town. I came back with an idea of what I wanted to call this week’s post, and then life decided to trow even more ideas at me – until I had more titles for this post than I could use. And that’s how we landed where we did. So, what’s going on today? Well, let’s find out!
- A lot going on here in town today as it’s the home opener for the Detroit Tigers. The home opener is virtually a holiday here. Always a huge crowd at the ballpark, and an even bigger crowd downtown outside the ballpark. And that’s great for the team, great for the city, great for almost everyone. One person lost out today though. Last night a young man from the University of Detroit won the NCAA college basketball slam dunk competition. And while Yahoo Sports has a story on it, it was nowhere to be seen on the front pages of the local Detroit paper sites. So I’m putting it here. Because I can.
- On a completely different note – I saw this story in the news lately. Talk about a company bound and determined to put itself in bankruptcy. After everything that’s gone wrong lately, when I read a headline that says “Crews corral cruise ship that tore loose“, I could only think of one cruise line. And yep, if you said Carnival you would be correct. I think people would be more willing to cruise on the Exxon Valdez if it were still around than they would be to get on a Carnival cruise at this point.
- Staying on the water for a moment. You aren’t gonna need a bigger boat this time. You might however, just give up on going in the water altogether. Especially when you see the nearly 7 foot long, 102 pound barracuda this guy caught. Barracuda are bad news at 10-20 pounds. At 100? Eek. Come to the great lakes folks – our fish don’t (and aren’t capable of it) try to eat you!
- Slowly but surely, and despite the massive ice flows I saw on the Straights of Mackinac last weekend all the signs of spring are slowly arriving. The robins are back, baseball is back, and I’m getting the annual hot rod bug. And seeing that ‘Eleanor‘ from “Gone in 60 Seconds” is going up for auction certainly isn’t helping.
- Lastly, since I just love ‘news of the odd, I have to include this one. Of course, sometimes the odd stuff can be a bit scary. Or hairy. Or in this case, both. Now, what could be both? How about a large species of tarantula, roughly the size of an adult human face? Yeah. That’s what I thought, too. To anyone who has a real fear of spiders? Sorry about the nightmares. You um…. might want to avoid Sri Lanka.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to enjoy the opening day festivities. And really, given the events of today, there’s only one song to go with. I just wish I was sitting out there in Centerfield.
Have a great weekend folks!