Happy Friday everyone! Beer’s back from the islands, and boy did he have a good time. More of that later though. For now, let me thank Kingkielbasa for filling in for me last week. Now that I’m back… let’s see what’s going on…
- Unless you live under a rock – and even if you do, they probably still found a way to make sure you found out – the NFL draft started last night. I get a kick out of it – for several reasons. First, I like football, and I think it’s fun to watch. Possibly even more fun though, is listening to all the ‘fans’ that either start making Superbowl reservation, or screaming bloody murder about the pick their team just made. And then the very next day come the “grades”. Really? These kids haven’t even gotten to the city where they’ll play yet, and they’re being graded? Good luck with that.
- Bouncing back to travel, and no – this isn’t going to be about another of my boondoggles…. Virgin America is basically introducing in-flight dating. Okay, maybe not quite that extreme. But then again, when the feature is rolled out in a video called “Sir Richard Branson’s Guide to Getting Lucky“, well…
- Coming back from a trip… I am reminded at just how fast, and how easy it is to become unplugged, and enjoy it. I’ve also come to realize how hard that makes it to keep up with interesting stories to use when writing a post like this at the end of the week. Then you watch a baseball game and see a player decide risking his surgically repaired knee by slamming into the catcher on a frigid cold April night isn’t even remotely close to being worth it. And that’s what Victor Martinez of the Detroit Tigers did this week.
- A fun story in the news this week has been about a giant (foam) head that came floating down the Hudson River. Of course, all the hoopla as I’ve read it has been about people trying to find out where it came from. Meanwhile, I have another question. How do you misplace a 7-foot foam head, and not notice it’s gone missing???
- Lastly, I’m not sure why this came up under the finance headlines, but that’s where I found it. And any of you that hate hospitals, and bugs? Welcome to a your latest nightmare. Hospitals – that have bed bugs. Think about it, you’re lying there trying to heal up from whatever injury or illness landed you in a hospital bed to begin with, when you realize those little buggers are starting to bite. Pleasant thought, no? And for those of you whose skin is crawling now? You’re welcome.
Okay folks. That’s five, and I’m off to try to get caught up from not being home last weekend. In the meantime though, as I was celebrating getting to add yet another year to my age while I was on my latest boondoggle, I realized that age is indeed starting to catch up with me. And the twenty-somethings at the bar that night? They learned something too. Just like the Toby Kieth song… “I’m not as good as I once was, But…”