Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. I’m Beermaker, and I’ll be your guide through this week’s review of the weird, wacky, and just plain dumb. First off, to answer a question… No. I was not on vacation last week. PB just wanted to write Five Thoughts last week, and I think he did a bang up job. So, with that out of the way… Let’s get started!
- Now, I’m still officially boycotting the NHL, but I never did stop being a fan of hockey. And having played the game, even at a recreational level, you gain a real appreciation for how tough these guys really are. It’s often said they’re the toughest pro athletes around. Usually that’s made in reference to guys playing with a broken jaw, or a big cut from a high stick, etc. Well, I’m here to tell you folks – it’s been done before in the past, but the gold standard of tough in the NHL was just reaffirmed this past week. What is said standard? Well, let’s just go with the text from the article….
“The shot broke Campbell’s leg, specifically the right fibula. He stayed on the ice for 10 seconds, clearly in pain. Then he did something only a hockey player would do. He got up and killed the rest of the penalty off.”
Go ahead. Read that last part again. The part where we put the hyperlink. He finished killing a penalty. On a Broken Leg. For another 40 seconds. That deserves a video, and I think there’s one that fits perfectly…..
- Speaking of tough… For years, Ford Motor Company has used a tagline in their truck advertising, “Built Ford Tough”. Turns out, they may want to start using that line in the Mustang advertising as well. We all saw the devastation from the Tornado that tore through Moore, Oklahoma. Suffice to say it was tragic, and horrible. It was not enough, however, enough to knock a 2003 Ford Mustang off the road. It survived a direct hit from an EF-5 tornado and kept running! The article is really worth a read.
- Changing gears a bit here… We all get crap in the mail. Junk mail, bills, advertising flyers, the usually. What we don’t usually get in the mail is actual, bona-fide, dog crap. But that’s what’s happening in a small town in Spain. When people let their dogs do what the need to do, and then don’t pick it up? The city does. And apparently mails it back to the owner as ‘lost property’. Hey, at least they aren’t leaving it on the front porch in a burning paper bag, right?
- It’s not often we get to include a PSA (That would be public service announcement in this case) here in a Five Thoughts post. But today we do. Just remember folks, you can steal the copper from the house, but if you steal and drink some of the beer you find there as well…. The police will find you.
- And lastly. Apparently today is National Doughnut Day. And what better way to lead into a new part of a theme part dedicated to the family led by one of the biggest doughnut lovers of all. One Homer J. Simpson. Universal Orlando has released pictures of the new Simpson’s themed area of their park. And it looks hilarious! Any one want to go grab a Krusty Burger? As for the link between Homer and doughnuts? It’s very well documented.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m looking to get an early start on the weekend. In the meantime, I want to close out here with a song/video just for our very own Kingkielbasa. I’m sure he’ll appreciate the choice here today as he prepares to head across the pond. Nothing like a nice song from The Clash to get you going on a Friday.
Have a great weekend folks!