Yep, I’m finally back. Now to see if I can remember how to write one of these posts. And why is it I finally get back from a holiday, only to find myself staring down a holiday weekend? How does that happen, anyways? Anyhow, before I get started, a big thanks to PB for filling in ably for me while I was away (Although we need to work on getting him to add tags to posts). And now… Let’s see If I remember how to do this…
- Holy casting news, Batman! Yes, I realize it’s actually kind of old news by now, but really… I guess the part that most people are sort of overlooking is Ben Affleck isn’t going to be playing Batman in a Batman movie. It’s for the next Superman movie. And it’s been back in the news a bit since it’s been announced that it will be filming in Detroit. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they’ll be using Detroit as a Gotham City backdrop. Not Metropolis.
- Speaking of movies, one of my favorites remains “The Princess Bride” which brought us many great lines, including “You keep using that word…”
I mention this because of a headline I saw today on Yahoo!. It was for an E! Online article and the headline read… “Kate Middleton to Make Surprise First Official Public Appearance Since Giving Birth to Prince George“. See, here’s the thing… if it’s being announced in the press? It isn’t a “Surprise”. Which made me think… I do not think it means what you think it means.
- On a completely different note… We’ve talked about Florida a bit in the past, and I’ve made no secret that I just don’t get why it seems to be such an odd place. And yet, here I am again talking about “The Sunshine State” in a weekly post. This time after reading an article about how they’re fighting a giant snail infestation by using… dogs. Labrador retrievers to be exact. Now, I think Labs are fantastic dogs. But I just don’t get it. I mean, the article has this quote, “They’re very good at detecting the Giant African Land Snail”. Yeah, I would think damned near anyone with a working set of eyes would pretty good at spotting a giant snail that can get to be the size of a rat! And they need a dog to help them? Florida, I just don’t get it.
- You know, there’s an awful lot going on in the world right now. Much of it being of the “very serious” nature. Of course, you wouldn’t really know it from the general news or social media, because even off on the big island of Hawaii and insulated by a six-hour time change, I couldn’t escape the news about Miley Cyrus. But it appears she may have really crossed the line this time. She’s now being taken to task for her act, and being called out for it being degrading…. To the foam finger she used by the originator of the foam finger! Yeah, I got nothing to add. Didn’t see it, don’t care. I was busy drinking on the beach. Or something.
- Lastly, simply put… I think this gentleman may be my hero. A British man is making money every time a telemarketer calls him. He changed his phone to the U.S. equivalent of a 900 toll line. So the longer the telemarketers are on the line, the more they have to pay him! As the guys in the Guinness ad say…. “Brilliant!”
Okay folks, that’s five and apparently I still know how to do this (allegedly). And with that, I’m off to enjoy a holiday weekend. So, even thought I’ve used it before… I think this one is fitting. After all, I just back from and no I’m planning on observing… a “Holiday”
Have a great weekend folks!
Hello all you fans of the famous Five Thoughts on a Friday! Yep you guessed it Beer is still taking in the fun, sun, sand, and more beer then the normal mortal should be allowed. I just wanted to send a big shout out to King on his return from vacation only to be slammed with work upon return. Like Sheldon Cooper says……..
Any way let’s see what in the old hopper for today shall we?
- Some may say that super powers come in many different forms. Take for instance the music performer Brandi. She can make an entire stadium of over 90,000 people disappear before she begins her set on stage.
- This super power exhibited by this young woman is what some people would say really awesome. I would say OUCH!!! That first bite of the burger can be a killer on the old jaw line especially if you dislocate your jaw in the process. Again I say OUCH!!! Gotta give it to her she went back and ate the dang thing like only a true superhero would.
- Now for this one there is not much to say. Well, let me rephrase that. This one goes into the old they didn’t learn from the last one eh? When an actor plays a comic book superhero and it sucks you don’t have them play another superhero without people immediately thinking ok this movie is going to suck as well. Anyone remember Daredevil? Mr. Ben. Batman was smooth but the Joker always says it best!
Here’s hoping you can break the cycle
- The next one would have made me freak out if I was at that beach for sure. Imagine you are enjoying a fun day at the beach and off in the distance you hear something. What could it be as it grows louder and louder. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it’s a HOVERCRAFT!?!?!?!?!? Yep I guess I will make sure I know if I am going to a beach that the government is going to do maneuvers on that day unlike the people that got this surprise.
- Finally to round out our Five Thoughts we get this little dandy from the King. Some people say things to make themselves look big and bad to keep the bullies away or to intimidate others. Then we have these knuckle heads from North Korea. If you are going to try and make yourself look impressive then maybe you should not doctor photos and get caught.
Well that’s this edition of Five thoughts folks. I hope all have a great weekend and most of all if you are a bad guy and think you are gonna get away with a crime you got another thing coming.
Hello all and welcome to the PB is on his own because Beer and King are on the boondoggle express this week. I would love to say this is truly an honor to have the keys to the mansion but I would be a fool because I want to be on vacation myself! So with that bit of sour grapes by me done let’s see what we got for this week shall we.
- Well my thought was originally going to make this a “Mother Nature gone wild” reset but decided against it. But man she was at it again! Take for instance these guys that found themselves with two sharks in one catch. They say turducken but I say just be thankful it wasn’t their leg or hand in that shark!
- This is just plain silly and cool at the same time. There are glow in the dark fish and then there is this. Imagine you’re a person that loves rabbits and just want to look at them all the time. I don’t get it but hey someone thought it would be a cool idea to make them glow in the dark. That would make it easier to hunt the rabbit as Elmer Fudd would say.
- Who says the badger is an angry mean animal? They are very helpful and take out many nuisance small game. But some are so nice they help uncover medieval burial grounds for us. Imagine what this little guy was thinking when he came across those bones? Would it be something like what the Honey Badger would say?
- This isn’t an animal take but boy just goes to show how some things are not as they seem. Imagine the dispatcher getting a frantic call that someone is drowning. The first responders are on the way to make a lifesaving drowning rescue. They get to the water start looking for the victim that just happens to be a floating basketball?
- Finally to demonstrate how some people are just not meant to have money or decision making skills we have this lovely one. How would you react if you owned a tattoo business and some guy walks in and says “Hey man I want a gorilla tattoo”. You think great another customer! They he says “don’t you want to know where I want it?” You pause and he says “shave the back of my head and put that bad boy right there”. Wonder if the Gorillaz would feel good about having this tattoo?
Well all that’s it for this edition of Five Thoughts. Hope all is well with you and your weekend I know my weekend will have many hits and with football starting I hope to see someone bringing the BOOM!!!
Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five thoughts. As you may have guessed, Beer’s getting ready for another Boondoggle. But I’m here for now, if my brain is already sending postcards from the road. I’ve been trying to get it to call in so we can get this post done, let’s see how it works out. And with that, here we go!
- If you’ve been following the blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably noticed that I used to be a big NHL until the last labor stoppage. At that point in their latest attempt at “cost certainty” they lost me. And then comes news that having ‘fixed’ the game.. That the NHL is preparing to take control of the New Jersey Devils (One of the leagues more high profile franchises) to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Of course, this morning there’s a story in the Wall Street Journal with the league denying any possible takeover. So… they’re okay with the Devils filing for bankruptcy then? Like my co-blogger said yesterday… Queue the circus music!
- It seems like every year around this time, I’m getting ready for a boondoggle. And every year, this is when Shark Week is on. This is not necessarily a great fit. But hey, at least they don’t have an “Airliner Crash” week to show right before I have to get on a plane. That being said, what’s a Five Thoughts during Shark Week that doesn’t include a post about…. sharks! And if the ‘normal’ ones you see on TV aren’t enough to give you nightmares, check out these deep sea numbers, including one with over 300 teeth! If um… anyone needs me, I’ll be in the pool!
- Speaking of nasty, scary looking fish. How about an invasive species that can breathe air and survive out of water for extended periods? And has no natural predators in North America? So much so that a world record specimen has just been caught in Virginia? Yeah, that would be the aptly named ‘Frankenfish’. Did we mention it’s ugly? Yeah, no charge for the nightmares to come.
- I don’t think I have a tag for this sort of thing, but I could just go with a riff on the Ron Burgundy “Stay Classy” theme with a “You stay Classy, Kenya”. What am I taking about? Well, let’s go with the first line from the article…..
Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the money didn’t burn up?
- Lastly, why going to circle around (just like a shark!) to Shark Week. Why? Well, there’s been some ‘controversy’ about it this year, especially their “special” (Possibly more aptly described as a “Mockumentary”) about Megalodon. It seems some people aren’t happy at all to have a sci-fi piece on Discovery. I have to say though… that’s not the big issue I have this year. And I hate to say it, but I think Shark Week has “Jumped the Shark“. Why? Well… it wasn’t the fake show, or the comedians, or anything like that. It was… The Hoff.
Okay folks, That’s five and I’m about ready to Boondoggle on down the road. PB will be in next week, and I’ll let him and the King sort out the Friday after that. Yes, this one is a BIG Boondoggle.
And as a bit of a bonus on the way out… If you’re still wondering about the origins of “Jumping the Shark”? Well, here you go!
Alrighty, I’m out of here. I have to get ready to boondoggle. And so, to help with preparations.. I give you the vocal stylings of the legendary… Don Ho with… Tiny Bubbles!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NHL, Random, scary, Shark Week, Sharks, stupid
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another coffee fueled edition of Five Thoughts. The good news is, I have internet access today, so I don’t need to call in an emergency reliever (Big thanks to PB for subbing last week!). The bad news? Hehe… I have internet access this week and get to write today’s post! Let’s see where we land, shall we?
- I saw this one, and I knew I’d have to use it. This really does fall into the heading of, “If you use this for your PIN… you probably DESERVE to what you get”… Ladies and gentleman, the 10 Worst PIN numbers. (And why to we say PIN number? That’s what the N is for! If anything it should be PI Number!) And of course, I couldn’t read that article without think of this scene from Spaceballs!
- Next up as anyone who reads the blog knows, I like to post articles abut drones. And here comes another one. Except, this time they aren’t spying on you or shooting at anyone. They’re spying on Hurricanes. I think it’s cool, so I’m posting about it. Although now I have this mental image of a kid at a NASA drone pilots house running around going “Mom, where do hurricanes come from?” Yeah, I’m weird sometimes.
- Moving along, we have a public service announcement………
EVERYBODY PANIC! WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE! THEY FOUND A GIANT HOLE IN THE SUN! Okay, you don’t have to panic. But we are all gonna die, eventually, that’s how life works. And they did find a giant hole in the sun. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.
- As for this one… I’ve often wondered about it myself, but frankly I don’t think there really is any explanation. Even though they try to offer several theories. I think much like the Bermuda triangle, we just have to expect that when weird stuff happens, odds are it’s happening in Florida.
- Lastly, but certainly not least. A little something for you to ponder this weekend as you’re having a few cocktails. Because, what’s a weekend without a few drinks, right? That syrupy, sugary thing you’re calling a Daiquiri? You’re doing it wrong. Here’s what it used to be (And is supposed to be).
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m cutting out of here to start the weekend. We’ve got a car show, a concert, and even a fireworks display on tap for the weekend! Speaking of taps… yes. There will be beer involved. Hey, if you’re gonna go, go all the way. Right? (How’s THAT for a blast from the past?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Alcohol, Beer, Blog, Drinks, Features, Five Thoughts, Florida, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Random, Silly, Tech