Happy Friday everyone!
Why’s Beer in such a good mood this week? Is he planning another boondoggle or something? No, no. Well, I am, but it isn’t for a while. No, I’m happy because I might actually get a chance to sleep tomorrow! But, enough about that. It’s been a crazy week, and I there a few things I’ve been thinking about (It being Friday and all). So with that, it’s time for this week’s Five Thoughts.
- Let’s start with some news from the “You’re night real bright, are you?” department. We’ve all heard the phrase “Young and dumb”. The latest example of taking it a bit too far? A 26 year old in Pennsylvania finds himself now charged with a felony. For barking at a police dog at a DUI checkpoint. I do believe this is where we bring in our hero Red….
- Switching gears to the technology front. I’m currently able to do a side by side comparison of the new Apple operating system upgrade and the old version. Being the Luddite that I am, I have not yet upgrade while people I know have. Many of them are not fans of the change. Apparently they aren’t alone. Although none of the people I know who don’t like it are complaining about it making them sick. Oops. Then again, maybe it’ll help cut down on texting and driving. Bright side folks, look on the bright side!
- Speaking of turning stomachs… How about a list of ‘Retro’ foods that are making a comeback. Including Rolaids! Which should help settle that stomach ache you’ve got from your iPhone. More than anything though, this article is proof. Twinkies are going to be around forever!
- We interrupt this list of things that could be considered ‘over the top’ for an idea we think is totally cool and not over the top, a gimmick, or silly. It needs to happen. As one of the classiest (and best) players major league baseball has ever seen is wrapping up the final few games of his career – Mariano Rivera wants to play center field for the Yankees. And the Yankees just might let him. This needs to happen. It would be really cool. Just like the send off he got at Yankee Stadium in his final game there.
- And now back to things that might be a bit over the top. Except, there is no ‘might’ involved in this one. This is not ‘over the top’, this is textbook ‘OverKILL’. What am I talking about? I’m talking about a US Air Force test program to deal with pirates. By bombing them out of the water using supersonic B-1 bombers. Yep. Overkill. But definitely a kill, I’d say. And I can help but think the pilots would be playing this.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. Busy night tonight that includes going to benefits with beer. Or was it beer with benefits? Ah well, I’ll get it sorted out when I get there. Not to worry, it’s not excessive… it’s just overkill.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Air Force, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, iPhone, MLB, Pirates, Silly, stupid, Tech, Yankees
Good morning everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. We’re coming to you live from a soggy, steamy, foggy, gray morning in southeastern Michigan today. A quick check of the calendar reveals that we’ve had a full moon this past week, so yeah… no shortage of weirdness in the news this week! And with that in mind, let’s get to it!
- I knew this one was going in the second I saw the headline. I mean, how do you top a headline that reads “Herpes-Infected Monkeys Invade Florida“. Yeah… I got nothing. Except for a feeling of gratitude that I never ended up moving down there. Oh… and if anyone asks, don’t touch the monkey. (No not going with the ‘Shock the Monkey’ song here. We’re going with The old SNL ‘Dieter’ bit)
- Speaking of Florida, I was shocked when I read this next article. Because it wasn’t from Florida. No, this one comes to us from New York (Long Island), where authorities found 850 snakes (!) in the home of an animal control officer. Apparently, the guy has a thing for snakes.
- Speaking of snakes…. Or, not snakes as the case may be. When is a snake not a snake? When it’s a legless lizard from California, apparently. A new species of legless lizard has been discovered in the dunes just west of Los Angeles Airport (LAX). Heh, they aren’t fooling me. I know what they’re up to. If they look like a snake, they’re a snake. And that close to an airport? They’re snakes trying to get on a plane. I’m on to them!
- Since we’re talking about LAX airport, I wonder if those ‘legless lizards’ are trying to sneak onto THIS plane. Yeah, I don’t get it. To me, a Hello Kitty themed Boeing 777 is straight out of the ‘What in the hell??’ department. I just don’t get it.
- This last one comes to us courtesy of our resident college football junkie, PB. He may have found it. The college football game played each year where the ‘winner’ takes home the ugliest trophy in all of sports. It’s worth a read, just for the picture of the ‘trophy’ alone. Not to mention the author taking a shot at the stunt the University of Michigan pulled last week. After all, that’s what’s supposed to make college sports fun.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. We’ve got a busy agenda on the docket this weekend, including an Oktoberfest celebration tonight. So, here’s hoping that as we wind down summer, things will dry out just a bit and we can get one last heatwave.
Have a great weekend folks!
Good morning folks, and welcome to yet another edition of Five Thoughts. We’re off and running again this morning, just waiting to get the weekend started. So without fiddling around too much in this space here this morning, let’s get at it shall we?
- I like to think I understand the basics of business and marketing pretty well. Especially considering the diplomas on the wall that say I’m supposed to. As such, I totally get the point, economically speaking, that the author is trying to make in this article about McDonald’s possibly needing to abandon the $1 burger on its dollar menu due to increased costs. They simply aren’t making enough money on it to keep it around. But when you bust out a line that says.. “McDonald’s needs to start charging $1.50 or $2 for Dollar Menu items , Peter Saleh, an analyst at Telsey Advisory Group”…
I’m just curious, do you GET the whole point of a DOLLAR menu? Things are supposed to cost a DOLLAR. If they cost more, then they aren’t on the DOLLAR menu anymore. See how that works? Glad I could clear it up for you.
- Changing gears completely…. We’ve all seen these NSA online snooping stories… And I’m sure a bunch of people feel safe now because they either were using, or started using a bunch of extra encryption software to protect their data. Well, guess what… Now there’s news that the NSA can crack most anything you might be using. So that helicopter you thought you heard last night when you were surfing the web… Yeah, probably the Feds. Maybe you used the wrong keywords…
- Next up, from the “I’m including this because I think it’s funny and scary at the same time” department…. You’re at home, having breakfast. The car you just sold is sitting in the driveway, waiting for its new owner to pick it up. And here comes a semi trailer with 45 TONS of sand rolling backwards down the road. Over your car and into your house. Yeah, I’d say you’re awake after that.
- Next up…. drones! Yes, I’ve posted my fair share of stories about them. I find the technology very interesting. And the “privacy” debate is interesting. This though, this is humorous. All I’m going to add though, as a Colorado town considers passing an ordinance that will allow people with a license to shoot down drones (And they are currently flooded with applications for the licenses), are those infamous words…. This. Will. Not. End Well.
- So a funny thing happened before the football game last night…. Sounds like a set-up for a punchline, you know? Aside from the weather delay, one of the stories coming out of the game (OTher than the game itself) was the shot NBC got of the Baltimore Ravens being patted down before the game. Turns out it’s a normal occurrence, designed to check for banned substances like grease or silicon (Which in theory could make someone harder to tackle, I guess). Although I’m still unsure how grease would help when you have a 300 pound missile leading with its helmet looking to remove you from your shoes. Oh well, that’s why I only watch the games on TV.
Okay folks, that’s five and I am about ready to get my weekend started, how about you? In the meantime, if things are still a bit off schedule from the holiday weekend last week like they are around here. Just remember, this morning was not the normal Garbage day. It’s tomorrow. See what I did there?
Have a great weekend folks!