Good morning folks, and welcome to yet another edition of Five Thoughts. We’re off and running again this morning, just waiting to get the weekend started. So without fiddling around too much in this space here this morning, let’s get at it shall we?
- I like to think I understand the basics of business and marketing pretty well. Especially considering the diplomas on the wall that say I’m supposed to. As such, I totally get the point, economically speaking, that the author is trying to make in this article about McDonald’s possibly needing to abandon the $1 burger on its dollar menu due to increased costs. They simply aren’t making enough money on it to keep it around. But when you bust out a line that says.. “McDonald’s needs to start charging $1.50 or $2 for Dollar Menu items , Peter Saleh, an analyst at Telsey Advisory Group”…
I’m just curious, do you GET the whole point of a DOLLAR menu? Things are supposed to cost a DOLLAR. If they cost more, then they aren’t on the DOLLAR menu anymore. See how that works? Glad I could clear it up for you.
- Changing gears completely…. We’ve all seen these NSA online snooping stories… And I’m sure a bunch of people feel safe now because they either were using, or started using a bunch of extra encryption software to protect their data. Well, guess what… Now there’s news that the NSA can crack most anything you might be using. So that helicopter you thought you heard last night when you were surfing the web… Yeah, probably the Feds. Maybe you used the wrong keywords…
- Next up, from the “I’m including this because I think it’s funny and scary at the same time” department…. You’re at home, having breakfast. The car you just sold is sitting in the driveway, waiting for its new owner to pick it up. And here comes a semi trailer with 45 TONS of sand rolling backwards down the road. Over your car and into your house. Yeah, I’d say you’re awake after that.
- Next up…. drones! Yes, I’ve posted my fair share of stories about them. I find the technology very interesting. And the “privacy” debate is interesting. This though, this is humorous. All I’m going to add though, as a Colorado town considers passing an ordinance that will allow people with a license to shoot down drones (And they are currently flooded with applications for the licenses), are those infamous words…. This. Will. Not. End Well.
- So a funny thing happened before the football game last night…. Sounds like a set-up for a punchline, you know? Aside from the weather delay, one of the stories coming out of the game (OTher than the game itself) was the shot NBC got of the Baltimore Ravens being patted down before the game. Turns out it’s a normal occurrence, designed to check for banned substances like grease or silicon (Which in theory could make someone harder to tackle, I guess). Although I’m still unsure how grease would help when you have a 300 pound missile leading with its helmet looking to remove you from your shoes. Oh well, that’s why I only watch the games on TV.
Okay folks, that’s five and I am about ready to get my weekend started, how about you? In the meantime, if things are still a bit off schedule from the holiday weekend last week like they are around here. Just remember, this morning was not the normal Garbage day. It’s tomorrow. See what I did there?
Have a great weekend folks!