Good morning everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. We’re coming to you live from a soggy, steamy, foggy, gray morning in southeastern Michigan today. A quick check of the calendar reveals that we’ve had a full moon this past week, so yeah… no shortage of weirdness in the news this week! And with that in mind, let’s get to it!
- I knew this one was going in the second I saw the headline. I mean, how do you top a headline that reads “Herpes-Infected Monkeys Invade Florida“. Yeah… I got nothing. Except for a feeling of gratitude that I never ended up moving down there. Oh… and if anyone asks, don’t touch the monkey. (No not going with the ‘Shock the Monkey’ song here. We’re going with The old SNL ‘Dieter’ bit)
- Speaking of Florida, I was shocked when I read this next article. Because it wasn’t from Florida. No, this one comes to us from New York (Long Island), where authorities found 850 snakes (!) in the home of an animal control officer. Apparently, the guy has a thing for snakes.
- Speaking of snakes…. Or, not snakes as the case may be. When is a snake not a snake? When it’s a legless lizard from California, apparently. A new species of legless lizard has been discovered in the dunes just west of Los Angeles Airport (LAX). Heh, they aren’t fooling me. I know what they’re up to. If they look like a snake, they’re a snake. And that close to an airport? They’re snakes trying to get on a plane. I’m on to them!
- Since we’re talking about LAX airport, I wonder if those ‘legless lizards’ are trying to sneak onto THIS plane. Yeah, I don’t get it. To me, a Hello Kitty themed Boeing 777 is straight out of the ‘What in the hell??’ department. I just don’t get it.
- This last one comes to us courtesy of our resident college football junkie, PB. He may have found it. The college football game played each year where the ‘winner’ takes home the ugliest trophy in all of sports. It’s worth a read, just for the picture of the ‘trophy’ alone. Not to mention the author taking a shot at the stunt the University of Michigan pulled last week. After all, that’s what’s supposed to make college sports fun.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. We’ve got a busy agenda on the docket this weekend, including an Oktoberfest celebration tonight. So, here’s hoping that as we wind down summer, things will dry out just a bit and we can get one last heatwave.
Have a great weekend folks!