Good morning everyone and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. We’ve got an odd mix this week, so rather than try to make sense of any of it, let’s just get right to it shall we?
- I’m gonna lead with this one because I never miss a chance to post one of these types of stories. Why? I’m not sure. Maybe it’s a reminder that it’s really not safe to go back into the water. Or maybe it’s just that I think it’s freaking cool to see an eight foot long great white shark and be alive with all your parts to talk about it.
- Then again, in a true case of doing without thinking we have the surfer who jumped off a cliff into huge surf because he was late for his heat in a surfing competition. Did he not see the article we were just talking about before this story? The link is worth a click just for the picture they got of him in mid-jump, though.
- Back last year, Felix Baumgartner set the mother of all skydiving records by basically jumping from outer space back to earth. Now, his sponsors have released the point of view video along with mission data indicators. And once again, all I can say is damn, that was cool. And crazy. And some other words I probably shouldn’t say in public. Think I’m being a little too over the top?
- Next up, from the ‘Maybe they were too busy cleaning up other hazardous material sites’ department…. Comes news that as the federal government in the United States got back to work, a memo was circulated by the Environmental Protection Agency. After a 16 year old can of Campbell’s soup was discovered in an EPA office refrigerator. Also of note… the EPA has an office fridge that’s lasted 16 years??? And who puts canned soup in a fridge, anyways?
- Lastly, I need to post this one. I’ve been very, very critical of the NHL for a while now. And I’ve seen nothing from the league that makes me re-think my position on that. What gets lost in the translation of that though, is that some of the teams, their owners, and the people who work for them are really good people doing really good things. Like the Toronto Maples Leafs reaching out to the family of a long time season ticket holder who had passed away. Even sending a letter from the GM and flowers. Very nice.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ve got a ton of stuff to get done before I can start my weekend, so yeah. I gotta go. Yeah, believe it or not I’m working for living just like everyone else. Including Huey.
Have a great weekend folks!