Happy Friday everyone! Hope you all survived and enjoyed turkey day yesterday. I’ll do my best to keep it quick and light-hearted this week, in an effort to get finished up before I slip back into a turkey induced coma. So with that in mind, let’s get at it, shall we?
- Is it really appropriate to call today black Friday anymore? It seems to me that the name, which originally came from this being they day when brick and mortar retailers would see their stores reach the point of profitability for the year (Which would be shown in black ink rather than red for showing a loss), hence the name. With the sales starting earlier and earlier now, I just don’t see the connection anymore. Ah well…. maybe I’m just getting too old.
- It is now officially acceptable to not only have Christmas decorations up, but to turn them on at night in my world. And for the record the earliest official time it’s acceptable in my world occurs just after sundown on Thanksgiving. I think it goes back to when I was growing up, and we’d be watching the Cowboys game at grandma’s house. At some point during that game, Norelco would run an ad with Santa Claus using the top of an electric razor as a sled. And that came to signal that it was Christmas time to me.
- Now, I’m gonna say this up front. I didn’t go out shopping yesterday. We aren’t going out shopping today, either. But for everyone yelling about places being open and available to shop – deal with it. You’re in the minority. We live in a democratic republic, and people have voted… with their wallets. Maybe it has something to do with their being fewer shopping days this year. I don’t know. I know you won’t get me to go out in that madness, but obviously enough people will to make it worthwhile for stores to be open. So that’s that.
- On a more cheerful note if you happen to be from my neck of the woods – we got to see something from a group that works every single Thanksgiving day that we haven’t seen in a decade. The Detroit Lions won a game on Thanksgiving for the first time since 2003! And for that, I am thankful!
- Lastly, it’s not a post from me without some sort of random geek type news, and this one is no different. Again, these are here because I think a story about how a comet basically appears to have burned up while flying too close to the sun is cool. If you’ll pardon the pun.
Okay folks, that’s a quick five thoughts on black Friday and I’m off to get back to work. Which in this case means I’m off to make a turkey and swiss omelet. In the meantime, considering I did wake up to snow on the ground yesterday… It is now time to bust these out. After all, it did sorta look like a Marshmallow World.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Black Friday, Christmas, Commercials, Detroit, Features, Five Thoughts, Food, football, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Shopping
Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. Pretty quiet day around here today. PB is off doing his best Elmer Fudd impression, and a whole lot of other people are either now sleeping, or still glued to their couch/television with the release of the new Playstation 4. So while we have a few moments, let’s see what’s going on this week, shall we?
- It’s funny that we mention hunting in the opening today, because apparently the guys in the woods aren’t the only ones hunting.It would seem that hot on the heels of the Alligator at the Airport in Chicago, the Chicago police are now hunting for the person they believe brought said alligator to the airport. On the train. Yep, they have footage of it. Snakes on a plane, Gators on a train? Could be a sequel!
- Seems like this one would be right in the wheelhouse of all the video game playing folks that are home today blissfully shooting away at pixellated bad guys, racing cars, or flying planes. Or maybe not the flying part. After all, the Air Force is now searching for a drone that went down in Lake Ontario. Hmmm… wonder if they were hunting that mayor up in Toronto who’s been in the news so much lately? Apparently video game flying is harder than it looks!
- It’s a airbag! For your head! Or as they like to call it, an invisible bicycle helmet. Yeah, I really don’t have much else to add. Except I generally prefer to not wear a helmet, and NOT FALL OFF MY BIKE to begin with. Seems to have worked for me most of these years. Safety first though, I guess.
- I post this for all of my engineering friends. Many of whom are too busy with their new Playstation 4 this morning to spend too much time thinking about this right now, but when they get back from their sick day/vacation day/didn’t go in because they were picking up the next gen gaming console at midnight day off, this will help. And it’s even based on scientific studies. That’s right, for all of you who always have trouble, science has now issued you a guide. For how to properly pee into a urinal. Just in case you haven’t been able to figure it out on your own.
- We haven’t talked about cars very much in this space here lately. But we’re going to sort of talk about it now. And by sort of, I mean we’re going to talk about trucks. Big trucks. Big Volvo trucks. And we’re going to do it just so I have a reason to sneak in a mention of the new Volvo commercial that has Jean-Claude Van Damme in it. Doing the splits. Between two moving trucks. Is it just me, or does it hurt to even watch that?
Okay folks, that’s five and that means it’s time for me to split! (Ba-dum-bump!) In the meantime, Here’s hoping everyone out in the woods stays safe, stays warm, and finds happiness.
Have a great weekend folks!