Howdy folks, and welcome to a Friday the 13th edition of Five Thoughts. Yeah, I know. Playing up Friday the 13th is a cheap cop out for a subject for today’s post. Well, yes and no. But, I’ll get into that more in the body of the post. Shall we get started?
- Maybe it’s a sign of getting older, but is Friday the 13th even really that big a deal anymore? Seems to me that it used to seem a lot more ominous back when I was younger. It got talked about more. Horror movies would be on TV, that type of thing (As opposed to today, where the television programming basically is a horror). Maybe it’s because they finally stopped with the Friday the 13th movies after, what 127 of them? Just one of those weird things I wonder about from time to time.
- I realized last night, that we are quickly heading into one of the sports “Dead Zones” of the year. With the snoozer (unless you’re an Alabama fan, I guess) of the BCS title game college football is over. A few more weeks and the Superbowl will be played and then the NFL will be done for the season. What does all this incessant babbling mean? It means that if you aren’t into hockey and basketball, there isn’t going to be a heck of a lot, sports wise, to keep up with here very soon.
- Of course, from all endings, can come a beginning. Just as you realize you’re into a sport’s dead zone – the four magic words that signal the coming of summer are nearly ready to be uttered. We are just over a month out from the dates that “Pitchers and Catchers Report“. That’s right, as I sit here watching it snow we are roughly one month from the start of baseball spring training.
- And speaking of snow – here’s a little driving tip for the folks that were having such a hard time of it this morning. It really wasn’t that bad folks, and you’d have known that, and had a much easier drive in, if you had cleared the snow and ice off of your windshield before leaving! Being able to see where you’re going really does make a big difference in your driving experience. Trust me on that one. I’m right.
- Wow, talk about getting sidetracked. I stopped after thought number 4, and suddenly it’s almost lunchtime. Ah well. Crap happens. Don’t believe me? Ask the guys from Lincoln. Who had their shiny new MKZ concept start smoking at the Detroit Auto Show. Right when there was a guy from the newspaper there to catch a video of it. Oops.
Okay folks, that’s slightly tardy on a not very spooky Friday the 13th. I’m off to go do… other stuff. So, off we go with a little music to jam by.
Have a great weekend folks!
“Um.. Beer? You know it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, right? It isn’t the end of the year, it’s not really even all that close to it.”
Hush, and let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Anyways, it’s the last Friday before Thanksgiving in the United States. Next week is Black Friday. With that, the holiday season is off and running and there’s no stopping it. By the time you blink it will be Christmas and then the year will be over. So everyone, take a deep breath and say goodbye to 2011. Because after this weekend, you aren’t going to have time. Anyways, on to today’s post! (I had actually intended to go a bit video game centric in today’s post. What with doing the Star Wars: The Old Republic weekend test last weekend and all. Then the reviews from the LA Auto show started to show up online. And my inner gear-head got all cranked up again. So, let’s start with cars.)
- News from
Bizzaro Land, um Los Angeles. The old rules of the known automotive universe no longer apply. Nissan now has a production car (The 2013 GT-R) that will do 0-60mph in 2.7 seconds. I’m gussing it will also get you a speeding ticket in roughly the same amount of time. Not to be outdone (But a completely different type of vehicle), Ford Motor company whipped up some sort of alternate universe Shelby GT500 that has 650 horsepower, will push the 200mph barrier, and… doesn’t get hit with the gas guzzler tax!!??!?!?!! How is that even possible (Don’t get me wrong though, I highly encourage this type of thing!)?
(Both links are worth following, just for the pictures of the cars)
- From the land of “Apparently Hollywood is never going to learn, or admit they have no new ideas”… NBC has not only accepted a script…but has ordered the production of a pilot. Of the Munsters. Listen, I liked the original Munsters a lot. I love the Munstermobile (Both of them actually, don’t forget Grandpa’s ride!).
But Hollywood, let it go, folks. Frankly, I’m shocked that they aren’t doing a reality TV show for the casting of the pilot. Oh crap, I hope I didn’t just give them an idea.
- Doing the segue… Speaking of pilots (Of a different type). A bit of a scary moment turned comical the other day when the truth finally got out. The captain went to the restroom, where he got stuck due to a faulty door latch. The poor co-pilot, who got left alone to wonder why the captain wasn’t coming back got a message from a passenger. Frankly, I can see some people getting upset when they hear the audio, and I can understand it. But I can also see the co-pilot’s point of view. He opens that door, and control of the plane is at risk. The captain though, I feel for him. How would you like to be known from now on as “The pilot who caused an emergency landing by getting stuck in the bathroom”. He’s going to have to own that one, because there’s no avoiding it. But hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go.
- Switching back over to gaming, as I tweeted earlier in the week, I had a blast testing out the Star Wars game last weekend. And I see there are tons of giveaways for beta keys for the next test weekend now. I think it’s going to be a very good game. Will it threaten Warcraft? I don’t know. WoW has it’s own big content patch coming soon (4.3). Looks like there may be some gaming to be done here in the near future. I’ve also stumbled across The Godfather: Five Families and will give that a look, but I’m expecting to see something akin to mafia wars on Facebook. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong.
- Back to television for a moment. I miss “That 70’s Show”. Why do I miss it? I miss it because I miss Red. He got it. He understood that if you’re going to host a pornographic website, as a teacher you probably shouldn’t use your SCHOOL DISTRICT ISSUED LAPTOP to work on it. If you do, that makes you, as Red would say… A Dumbass.
Okay folks. That’s Five and I’m ready to get the weekend (and the end of the year) started. By this time next week we’ll all be in holiday mode. Or a food coma, which is kind of the same thing. Anyways, no music this week. Instead we’re going to let William Shatner make sure you all stay safe if you’re looking to fry a turkey this year. There was no way I wasn’t using this video.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Autoblog, Cars, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Holiday, Porn, postaweek2011, Silly, Star Wars, stupid, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Howdy folks, and welcome to the latest installment of Five Thoughts. As you may be aware, today is the day after St. Patrick’s Day. What you may not be aware of is that today is also a little known holy day/holiday/day of observance. Yep. Today is the “Feast of the Holy Hangover”. I do my best not to celebrate, or even observe it though. Anyways… Let’s get started, shall we?
- I’m just going to lead right in with this one. And as my co-blogger put it “I don’t even have to read it. Every year, same thing”. And he’s right. But there is stupid as can be, and then there is “Hey! It’s been warm for a week, and today it’s 65 degrees! Let’s go ice fishing!” off the chart stupid. Yes. You read that right. Yesterday in southeastern Michigan, it was 65 degrees. And people were out on the ice. Naturally, the coast guard had to go get them.
- Okay… how on earth do you transition away from that type of stupidity? How about with some sarcasm? I’m pretty much sarcastic and cynical by nature these days, so when I saw a post on Autoblog Green with this title “Study: $5/gallon gas could overload public transit system in U.S.” my immediate reaction and thought was “WHAT PUBLIC TRANSIT?” Yes, I know. Then I read the article, and despite the headline, it seems the author might be slightly of the same mindset, considering the last line in the article. “Saving money by switching from personal to public transportation is a good idea – but only if there’s an available ride.” Yeah, I would agree with that.
- You know, there are some days when the writer’s block really kicks in. That would be today… and on top of it all, the usual places I tend to draw ideas and stories from seem to have dried up as well. Still, every once in a while you do find a little gem here or there. Like this one from USA Today “Politicians: Think before you click ‘tweet’“. Folks, two things… That would really apply to anyone, not just a politician. And second… Politicians: If you’re just now trying to figure out new age social media like twitter? You are way behind the curve there folks. Better hire some teenagers to get you up to speed. Just um… Don’t let them tell what what to tweet, just explain how it works. And no tweeting from the crapper!
- Had to laugh at the person on the radio this past Monday. Having just switched to daylight savings time Saturday Night/Sunday Morning, This guy was going own about setting the clocks back. And he was going on about it every time he gave out the time. This tells me a few things.. There must not have been anyone else in the studio listening, because nobody stuck their head in the door to correct him (or maybe they were just letting him be an idiot on the air on purpose), and second – he probably gets his time from a smartphone that automatically updated itself. Remember people… Spring forward, Fall back. This Sunday will be the first official day of spring, so the clocks all went forward. Not back. Sorry dude.
- Speaking of spring, I heard a rumor recently that there was some little college basketball thing starting up? Some sort of tournament or something? has anyone heard anything about it. I can’t seem to find any news about it anywhere.
Alrighty folks, that’s five and I’m… What’s that? Yes. That last post was a joke. Of course I know about the NCAA tournament. You think I live under a rock or something?
Ok, now I’m out of here. Have a great weekend folks!
What? You thought you were getting out without some crazy Beermaker picked video? Not a chance! This one should really blow your mind.
Posted in Feature
Tagged Autoblog, Daylight Savings, Detroit, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, March Madness, postaweek2011, Silly, stupid, Tech, Travel, Twitter, Writer's Block
Howdy folks, and welcome to another Five Thoughts on a Friday. Sitting here at home today drinking coffee as we go, so hopefully I don’t spill it all over the keyboard before I get this typed up. Been a bit of a crazy week around here, although you’d never know if from the lack of posts, huh? What can I say… I have a few posts in the works not called “Five Thoughts on a Friday” but they’re all sort of stuck in the mud right now. Oh well, enough about that – let’s see what we’re thinking about today….
- Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of the “Single shoe on the side of the road”. That’s always really confused me. Why is it only one shoe? And how did it manage to end up on the side of the road? It conjures up thoughts of someone rolling down the window and just sort of flipping it out of the car while they’re driving down the road if you ask me. And what happens to the other show at that point? Does it get thrown out of the car somewhere else? If you drive around town collecting single shoes, would you eventually end up with a matched pair?
- Got this link from my co-blogger a while back. Think it’s a pretty fun idea. Just um… If you’re serious about photography and have ACTUAL camera lenses around, don’t get it mixed up with the mug, and put your coffee into your actual camera lens, you know?
- Yes, I’m sure this article is slanted/biased/call it what you want. I still like it. That’s a weight loss program a lot of guys would probably be really interested in! Beer is better than exercise for losing weight? What’s there not to like??
- Jumping to auto news for a second (Hmm, right after the beer story – No, I’m not drinking and blogging), this has the potential to be a PR nightmare for General Motors. Some dealers are announcing their intention to charge as much as $20,000 OVER the sticker price. Ouch. Now, they’re perfectly within their rights to do it, but I have to figure the bosses at GM in Detroit won’t be too happy about it.
- I think these suitcase stickers are hilarious. I also think there’s no way on earth I’m bringing one of them anywhere near the airport while I’m on vacation. I don’t think the TSA and airport security have any sense of humor about anything. Let alone luggage stickers design to get their attention.
Ok, that’s 5 things and it’s time for me to head on out. We’ll be down at the local festival supporting the beer tent this weekend. Car shows, beer tents, fireworks… All within walking distance. Summer is good, no?
Speaking of summertime….
Have a great weekend everyone!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Autoblog, Beer, Blog, Cannon Mugs, Cars, Chevy Volt, Features, Five Thoughts, Luggage Stickers, Shoes, Silly
Now this is the type of campaign we can get behind here at the Beerbarrel.
The folks over at Autoblog picked it up, and it seems that Car and Driver has taken up the cause to “Save the Manuals”. That’s right folks, they’re out to save manual transmissions before it’s too late!
Being car guys, we here at the Beerbarrel are proud to support this cause!
Save the Manuals!
-Beer and the King