Happy Friday everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thanks to the King for this week’s title. Boy it’s been a week around here, and as a result the title sure does fit. It’s almost like there’s something in the water (Which is why I prefer beer). That being said, let’s get to it!
- We’ll start with the one that prompted the King to come up with the “What the Friday?” theme. I think it’s a fairly well established fact that I’ve had my fair share of boondoggles. But what do you do when you can’t afford, or don’t have the time for a boondoggle? Why, you send your stuffed animals on a boondoggle for you! Or at least, that’s what one company is hoping you will do. And for a price, they’ll chaperone your stuffed friends around the globe.
- I’m sure you’ve probably seen the news, at some point recently about how the NSA has been monitoring communications. (The whole Edward Snowden thing and resulting stories). I’m not here to take sides, I’m not here to point fingers. I’m here to tell you that when you’re talking on the phone, sometimes it isn’t the wiretap you need to be worried about in regards to someone listening in. Or um… live tweeting updates about your conversation. Oops.
- This one is for our friend Red. After all, I’ve been in the ocean many many times. I know there is an inherent risk. Surfers probably know that even more acutely. But given the number of bad shark attacks in the Hawaiian Islands this year… if you’re on a surfboard and you literally see a shark fin in your general area, isn’t it time to be on the beach? Yes, the shark ‘attacked’ a surfer. And by that I mean bit the board. The surfer ended up off the board on basically on top of the shark. After punching it, the shark retreated. I’m glad no one was really injured. But for staying in the water when you knew for a fact there was a large shark on the prowl in the area? Well, Red?
- Hey Red? Don’t go anywhere just yet. Or at least, maybe head over to Austria. They’re going to need you over there. From the news comes a story out of Vienna of a woman trading a live tank shell. I repeat, a live tank shell online. For a picture frame and two bottles of wine. After having used the shell for a doorstop. Take it away Red.
- Lastly… Sir Paul McCartney is damned cool. Aside from the being a Beatle, doing spontaneous free concerts, and all that good stuff. You know how else you can tell? Look at the people he can get to be in his latest music video. Yeah, and he can still sort of play a bit, too.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to fight my way through what’s left of the day. And yes, I’m gonna warn you right now. because after all, with calling this the “What the Friday” edition…. there’s was really only one “What” themed song to use, especially since it sort of fits…
Have a great weekend folks!
Yep, I’m finally back. Now to see if I can remember how to write one of these posts. And why is it I finally get back from a holiday, only to find myself staring down a holiday weekend? How does that happen, anyways? Anyhow, before I get started, a big thanks to PB for filling in ably for me while I was away (Although we need to work on getting him to add tags to posts). And now… Let’s see If I remember how to do this…
- Holy casting news, Batman! Yes, I realize it’s actually kind of old news by now, but really… I guess the part that most people are sort of overlooking is Ben Affleck isn’t going to be playing Batman in a Batman movie. It’s for the next Superman movie. And it’s been back in the news a bit since it’s been announced that it will be filming in Detroit. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they’ll be using Detroit as a Gotham City backdrop. Not Metropolis.
- Speaking of movies, one of my favorites remains “The Princess Bride” which brought us many great lines, including “You keep using that word…”
I mention this because of a headline I saw today on Yahoo!. It was for an E! Online article and the headline read… “Kate Middleton to Make Surprise First Official Public Appearance Since Giving Birth to Prince George“. See, here’s the thing… if it’s being announced in the press? It isn’t a “Surprise”. Which made me think… I do not think it means what you think it means.
- On a completely different note… We’ve talked about Florida a bit in the past, and I’ve made no secret that I just don’t get why it seems to be such an odd place. And yet, here I am again talking about “The Sunshine State” in a weekly post. This time after reading an article about how they’re fighting a giant snail infestation by using… dogs. Labrador retrievers to be exact. Now, I think Labs are fantastic dogs. But I just don’t get it. I mean, the article has this quote, “They’re very good at detecting the Giant African Land Snail”. Yeah, I would think damned near anyone with a working set of eyes would pretty good at spotting a giant snail that can get to be the size of a rat! And they need a dog to help them? Florida, I just don’t get it.
- You know, there’s an awful lot going on in the world right now. Much of it being of the “very serious” nature. Of course, you wouldn’t really know it from the general news or social media, because even off on the big island of Hawaii and insulated by a six-hour time change, I couldn’t escape the news about Miley Cyrus. But it appears she may have really crossed the line this time. She’s now being taken to task for her act, and being called out for it being degrading…. To the foam finger she used by the originator of the foam finger! Yeah, I got nothing to add. Didn’t see it, don’t care. I was busy drinking on the beach. Or something.
- Lastly, simply put… I think this gentleman may be my hero. A British man is making money every time a telemarketer calls him. He changed his phone to the U.S. equivalent of a 900 toll line. So the longer the telemarketers are on the line, the more they have to pay him! As the guys in the Guinness ad say…. “Brilliant!”
Okay folks, that’s five and apparently I still know how to do this (allegedly). And with that, I’m off to enjoy a holiday weekend. So, even thought I’ve used it before… I think this one is fitting. After all, I just back from and no I’m planning on observing… a “Holiday”
Have a great weekend folks!
Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five thoughts. As you may have guessed, Beer’s getting ready for another Boondoggle. But I’m here for now, if my brain is already sending postcards from the road. I’ve been trying to get it to call in so we can get this post done, let’s see how it works out. And with that, here we go!
- If you’ve been following the blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably noticed that I used to be a big NHL until the last labor stoppage. At that point in their latest attempt at “cost certainty” they lost me. And then comes news that having ‘fixed’ the game.. That the NHL is preparing to take control of the New Jersey Devils (One of the leagues more high profile franchises) to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Of course, this morning there’s a story in the Wall Street Journal with the league denying any possible takeover. So… they’re okay with the Devils filing for bankruptcy then? Like my co-blogger said yesterday… Queue the circus music!
- It seems like every year around this time, I’m getting ready for a boondoggle. And every year, this is when Shark Week is on. This is not necessarily a great fit. But hey, at least they don’t have an “Airliner Crash” week to show right before I have to get on a plane. That being said, what’s a Five Thoughts during Shark Week that doesn’t include a post about…. sharks! And if the ‘normal’ ones you see on TV aren’t enough to give you nightmares, check out these deep sea numbers, including one with over 300 teeth! If um… anyone needs me, I’ll be in the pool!
- Speaking of nasty, scary looking fish. How about an invasive species that can breathe air and survive out of water for extended periods? And has no natural predators in North America? So much so that a world record specimen has just been caught in Virginia? Yeah, that would be the aptly named ‘Frankenfish’. Did we mention it’s ugly? Yeah, no charge for the nightmares to come.
- I don’t think I have a tag for this sort of thing, but I could just go with a riff on the Ron Burgundy “Stay Classy” theme with a “You stay Classy, Kenya”. What am I taking about? Well, let’s go with the first line from the article…..
Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the money didn’t burn up?
- Lastly, why going to circle around (just like a shark!) to Shark Week. Why? Well, there’s been some ‘controversy’ about it this year, especially their “special” (Possibly more aptly described as a “Mockumentary”) about Megalodon. It seems some people aren’t happy at all to have a sci-fi piece on Discovery. I have to say though… that’s not the big issue I have this year. And I hate to say it, but I think Shark Week has “Jumped the Shark“. Why? Well… it wasn’t the fake show, or the comedians, or anything like that. It was… The Hoff.
Okay folks, That’s five and I’m about ready to Boondoggle on down the road. PB will be in next week, and I’ll let him and the King sort out the Friday after that. Yes, this one is a BIG Boondoggle.
And as a bit of a bonus on the way out… If you’re still wondering about the origins of “Jumping the Shark”? Well, here you go!
Alrighty, I’m out of here. I have to get ready to boondoggle. And so, to help with preparations.. I give you the vocal stylings of the legendary… Don Ho with… Tiny Bubbles!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NHL, Random, scary, Shark Week, Sharks, stupid
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another hot, sweltering day here at Beerbarrel Productions. Yep, it’s hot. Looking at the map, it’s pretty much hot everywhere right now, but don’t worry! Relief is on the way! How can I be so sure? It’s simple really. There are only about 158 days until Christmas. Hey, I never said it was gonna cool down anytime soon, just that it would! And with that out of the way, let’s see what we can find for today, shall we?
- You know, when it gets hot and humid like it’s been around here, the bugs love it. Mosquitoes, june bugs, you name it. They all seem to be out in force right now. And when you have lots of bugs around, sometimes you need to take some more extreme measures to combat them. Using enough “bug bombs” to partially collapse a building though? I think you took the “bomb” part of the name a little too literally there…
- Speaking of buildings getting knocked down…. I guess nobody double checked the address, since a contractor in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area was hired to demolish a condemned home. Only to knock down the wrong house. That there is a big old “Texas-sized” whoops!
- This is the part of the post where I include something just because I think it’s cool. I went to a school that had a very prominent fencing program (Or so I’m told). Even then, I never paid much attention to it. I think it’s cool, I just don’t really ever think to myself “Hey, I should watch fencing”. Apparently I’m not alone in that. Enter a really fun, cool idea to try to get people to watch. A marketing campaign comparing it to sword fights in the movies.
As the guys from the Guinness ads would say… Brilliant!
- Switching gears into some at least marginally automotive related news, it seems like I can’t let a week go by these days without posting something about people being fired up about privacy. Like this article, that details how law enforcement agencies are tracking the movements of your license plate as you drive around.
- Lastly, just to be evil and give everyone nightmares, I’m including this one. Now, I’ve taken my fair share of vacations. And I’ve taken my fair share of grief for taking those trips from my co-bloggers who like to have fun with my vacation schedule right here on this very blog. This one though… note to self, NO vacations to Peru. Why you may ask? Because I don’t want to bring home a souvenir in the form of a flesh eating maggot inside my head! Yeah, you read that right. It was in her head!
Okay folks, that’s five and it’s time for me to hit the road. And if the police want to track my license plate, that’s fine. Heck, I could even consider it a public service. If they know where I usually go, and I end up somewhere I’m not familiar with, they’ll be able to tell me how to get there. Because obviously, I musta got lost. And with that, someone will finally understand who wubu gubu with the green teeth is…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Christmas, Commercials, Conspiracy, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Silly, stupid, Travel, Vacation
I’ve come to the conclusion that the next time I’m applying for a new job, I’m bringing Beer with me. Most people want to get the expense account, the company car..not me, I want to get Beer’s vacation schedule. That being said, I’m on my own as Beer is gone again.
1. Oh yeah, I’m running the show. Everyone knows what that means…VIDEOS!!! I’m starting the list off with one of the movies that really brings me back to my youth. Ultraman, Johnny Socko and his Giant Robot…
2. So I have to admit, that even this has me dumbfounded. How do you drunk drive a bridge? I mean, reaction time doesn’t have to be the greatest. Am I missing something here or isn’t it as simple as if boat is present, keep bridge up…if boat is gone, lower bridge?
3.One of my littlest has started a great comment on things he comes across in life now. His line is, “Now, they’re just making stuff up!” That line came to my head the moment I read this article by some of the people we trust in our lives. MMMmmm..hungry?
4. Geek alert…There is always a question that the geeks ask, why aren’t there any real superheroes in our real world? I’m not talking about ones with super powers, obviously even nerds understand a little reality…but Batman and Iron Man are based on normal guys. Well, it looks as though the income from the movie franchise alone wouldn’t be enough!
5. Speaking of Iron Man 3, if you have been living in a hole and haven’t seen what it’s about..here is a little different trailer to entice you to go see it.
Well, that’s it folks. Have a great weekend and enjoy it. We all know that Beer already has started to enjoy his!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Features, Five Thoughts, Giant Robot, Ironman, Michigan, Movies, Pacific Rim, Silly, stupid, Ultraman