Happy Friday everyone! Beer’s back from the islands, and boy did he have a good time. More of that later though. For now, let me thank Kingkielbasa for filling in for me last week. Now that I’m back… let’s see what’s going on…
- Unless you live under a rock – and even if you do, they probably still found a way to make sure you found out – the NFL draft started last night. I get a kick out of it – for several reasons. First, I like football, and I think it’s fun to watch. Possibly even more fun though, is listening to all the ‘fans’ that either start making Superbowl reservation, or screaming bloody murder about the pick their team just made. And then the very next day come the “grades”. Really? These kids haven’t even gotten to the city where they’ll play yet, and they’re being graded? Good luck with that.
- Bouncing back to travel, and no – this isn’t going to be about another of my boondoggles…. Virgin America is basically introducing in-flight dating. Okay, maybe not quite that extreme. But then again, when the feature is rolled out in a video called “Sir Richard Branson’s Guide to Getting Lucky“, well…
- Coming back from a trip… I am reminded at just how fast, and how easy it is to become unplugged, and enjoy it. I’ve also come to realize how hard that makes it to keep up with interesting stories to use when writing a post like this at the end of the week. Then you watch a baseball game and see a player decide risking his surgically repaired knee by slamming into the catcher on a frigid cold April night isn’t even remotely close to being worth it. And that’s what Victor Martinez of the Detroit Tigers did this week.
- A fun story in the news this week has been about a giant (foam) head that came floating down the Hudson River. Of course, all the hoopla as I’ve read it has been about people trying to find out where it came from. Meanwhile, I have another question. How do you misplace a 7-foot foam head, and not notice it’s gone missing???
- Lastly, I’m not sure why this came up under the finance headlines, but that’s where I found it. And any of you that hate hospitals, and bugs? Welcome to a your latest nightmare. Hospitals – that have bed bugs. Think about it, you’re lying there trying to heal up from whatever injury or illness landed you in a hospital bed to begin with, when you realize those little buggers are starting to bite. Pleasant thought, no? And for those of you whose skin is crawling now? You’re welcome.
Okay folks. That’s five, and I’m off to try to get caught up from not being home last weekend. In the meantime though, as I was celebrating getting to add yet another year to my age while I was on my latest boondoggle, I realized that age is indeed starting to catch up with me. And the twenty-somethings at the bar that night? They learned something too. Just like the Toby Kieth song… “I’m not as good as I once was, But…”
Posted in Feature
Tagged Baseball, Beer's Boondoggles, Detroit Tigers, Draft, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NFL, Silly, Travel
Howdy folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts! I’m back again this week to guide you through another silly post. So, let’s get started rambling through another one of Beermaker’s rambling rants about what’s going on in the news of the weird (at least according to Beer’s Brain) this week.
- Let’s start with this one. I’m really trying to figure this one out. A woman in Chicago is fighting a $100,000 parking fine. It appears her ex-boyfriend abandoned a car at an airport parking lot, where it piled up the fines over three years. So… you didn’t notice the car was gone for three years? You didn’t report it stolen? One day three years on you suddenly remembered “Oh! I know where we left the car!”??? Or you just wanted to get rid of it, and dumping it an at airport parking lot seemed easier than calling one of those charities that will come get it from your house??? This is definitely one where there’s got to be more to this story.
- There are times during everyone’s life when they wonder if someone is even paying attention. Like when someone tries to merge into your lane on the expressway – right into the spot your vehicle is currently occupying. Or, you know… when it turns out that those toy poodles you bought after wanting them for so long… turn out to be ferrets on steroids. Yes, you read that right. Ferrets. On Steroids. Sounds like a bad B movie title (You know, like Snakes on a Plane). They didn’t look odd to you at all when you bought them, right?
- Speaking of not paying attention. When I read this article and watched the video I thought most of it was very cool. How else would you describe a close encounter with a huge shark while you’re on a kayak doing some fishing? But then there’s a the part in the video where he brings (what’s left of) the fish up towards and almost onto the kayak. And so I have to ask… were you not paying attention? Did you not see the size of the shark? Did you not notice that it likes that fish, and is roughly the same size as your kayak? I really don’t think you want it coming aboard.
- Changing gears… We’ve made no secret that we like old cars around here. And when something comes along that can combine some the vehicles we thought were cool growing up with the TV shows and movies we thought were cool? Even better. And when they’re from Hot Wheels, which means we don’t have to plan on hitting the lottery to afford them? Well, that gets mentioned here. Because This is cool. Hot Wheels Retro Entertainment series memorializes your favorite Hollywood cars. The link is worth a click just for the picture in the article.
- Lastly, despite all of my boondoggles I don’t really consider myself a worldly person. I certainly don’t consider myself a diplomat or a peacemaker. That being said..I think I finally have it figured out. I know why North Korea is always so cranky. Turns out, there’s a BEER SHORTAGE in North Korea. I was reading an article about a group that tried to set up a brewery in North Korea and this line caught my eye, “They can’t produce enough for the domestic market”. Don’t they know beer promotes love? And not just the beer-goggle type. I’m talking down to earth “I love you, man” statements.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. And then I mean out of here. I mean “Look for a guest writer next week because I’m off on another boondoggle” gone. Yep, As a late winter storm draws a bead on our state I’m drawing a line in the sand. On a beach. Someplace warm. You know, down in that One Particular Harbor.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Commercials, Features, Fishing, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Sharks, Television, Vacation
Howdy folks! Beer’s back from yet another boondoggle to bring you this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thank you to PB for filling in for me last week while I was out of town. I came back with an idea of what I wanted to call this week’s post, and then life decided to trow even more ideas at me – until I had more titles for this post than I could use. And that’s how we landed where we did. So, what’s going on today? Well, let’s find out!
- A lot going on here in town today as it’s the home opener for the Detroit Tigers. The home opener is virtually a holiday here. Always a huge crowd at the ballpark, and an even bigger crowd downtown outside the ballpark. And that’s great for the team, great for the city, great for almost everyone. One person lost out today though. Last night a young man from the University of Detroit won the NCAA college basketball slam dunk competition. And while Yahoo Sports has a story on it, it was nowhere to be seen on the front pages of the local Detroit paper sites. So I’m putting it here. Because I can.
- On a completely different note – I saw this story in the news lately. Talk about a company bound and determined to put itself in bankruptcy. After everything that’s gone wrong lately, when I read a headline that says “Crews corral cruise ship that tore loose“, I could only think of one cruise line. And yep, if you said Carnival you would be correct. I think people would be more willing to cruise on the Exxon Valdez if it were still around than they would be to get on a Carnival cruise at this point.
- Staying on the water for a moment. You aren’t gonna need a bigger boat this time. You might however, just give up on going in the water altogether. Especially when you see the nearly 7 foot long, 102 pound barracuda this guy caught. Barracuda are bad news at 10-20 pounds. At 100? Eek. Come to the great lakes folks – our fish don’t (and aren’t capable of it) try to eat you!
- Slowly but surely, and despite the massive ice flows I saw on the Straights of Mackinac last weekend all the signs of spring are slowly arriving. The robins are back, baseball is back, and I’m getting the annual hot rod bug. And seeing that ‘Eleanor‘ from “Gone in 60 Seconds” is going up for auction certainly isn’t helping.
- Lastly, since I just love ‘news of the odd, I have to include this one. Of course, sometimes the odd stuff can be a bit scary. Or hairy. Or in this case, both. Now, what could be both? How about a large species of tarantula, roughly the size of an adult human face? Yeah. That’s what I thought, too. To anyone who has a real fear of spiders? Sorry about the nightmares. You um…. might want to avoid Sri Lanka.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to enjoy the opening day festivities. And really, given the events of today, there’s only one song to go with. I just wish I was sitting out there in Centerfield.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Detroit, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, MLB, Mustang, Spiders
Howdy folks! Sad to think, but this past Saturday evening I was watching the Mardi Gras parades kick off in New Orleans (I was on the corner or Royal and St. Phillip streets, to be exact). Today I’m back in the office watching it snow out the window. Talk about a chilly (or to be more exact, ‘chilling’ reception). Anyways, on with the show!
- We’ll get to our picks for the SuperBowl The “Big Game” early next week. But it seems I was right about one thing in my picks. The Har-Bowl talk is already spiraling out of control. (Get it? Football… spiraling?) Anyhow, even through all of that, this one was pretty funny. Only question would have been if John Harbaugh’s (And Jim’s, too) would have fallen for the prank. Calling in as “John from Baltimore probably gave it away though”.
- I’m not gonna say that athletes are superstitious, but if the Ravens win after observing this rule, I could see it becoming a trend. Just like it is in hockey. You know, when they bother to play a full season once in a while. And besides… with the roll they’re on leading up to his last game… who’s gonna tell Ray Lewis “No”?
- Staying on a football kick a little bit here, I’m going to enjoy watching a lot of the CBS coverage from New Orleans. Because having just been down in the French Quarter, and especially down near Jackson Square, every time I see “CBS Super Bowl Park at Jackson Square” all I’ll be able to think about will be that giant line up of big tractor-trailer rigs that had to navigate down streets that were built barely wide enough for two horses, let alone modern trucks.
- 48 hours ago as I write this, I was still in the French Quarter. And yes, in true boondoggle fashion I was already at a bar. But even as I was enjoying the last bit of nice weather I could before heading home, a brutally cold weather system had people talking about what might happen next year with the Superbowl being playing outdoors in New Jersey. I say bring on a blizzard during the game. The reason everyone remembers the “Tuck Rule” game isn’t simply because of that call. It was because the Raiders and Patriots played it in a snowstorm!
- Lastly, and you had to know I’d get in on it a bit, too. This whole fake girlfriend story. Now, I honestly think it’s much ado about nothing, other than the fact that it’s such a bizarre train wreck that you can’t stop watching. But just when Don Banks from SI.com tweets “Not sure Te’o could look or sound worse if he was caught with inflatable doll. Dressed as Norman Bates’ mother. This story needs to go away.” Along come the Dallas Stars who just help keep the viral nature going with this classic…
Okay folks, that’s it and I’m wrapping it up. Time to chill back and relax for the weekend. So on that note….
Have a great weekend folks!
Good morning folks and welcome to this week’s Five Thoughts. As the title suggests, you’ve got me in full Boondoggle mode again. Where am I off to now? Well, the title should give a bit of a blatant hint, but if that doesn’t do it, just read on till the end and we’ll remove all doubt. Now, let’s see what’s up for today’s post!
- It’s usually not too hard to get people to roll their eyes or see them suffer a shiver running down their spine. All it usually takes is one word. Florida. But well, this time there’s more. As in an 800 person “python challenge” in the Everglades. Now before anyone gets too worried, there is some training required. “The training came down to common sense: Drink water, wear sunscreen, don’t get bitten by anything and don’t shoot anyone.” Now, I’d like to think that “Don’t shoot anyone” would be common sense, but again… Florida.
- Under the heading of “Your brilliant plan… You did not think it through”, we bring you the article about the woman who was arrested for stalking herself. There’s that lack of common sense thing again. Surprisingly, this one was NOT in Florida (Or would that be disturbingly?)
- The joke has been around for ages. Now Subway is getting drawn into the joke. What am I talking about? Well, it would appear that some of the Subway Footlongs, may not actually be a foot long. And that’s as close to that joke as I’m going to get in this post. I’m sure you can figure it out.
- And back down to Florida again, it appears there was what is being described as anywhere from a “Collision” to “clipping of wings” between two jet airliners at Miami International Airport. Good news, no one was hurt. But we did learn something though. What was it? Well, based on this line in the Detroit News article… “The Herald reports the passengers arriving from Argentina were allowed to get off the plane at the gate. The passengers heading to France had to pick up their luggage and wait in long lines to reschedule their flights.” Apparently it’s better to have your plane collide with another once you’ve arrived at your destination!
- I have to say I’ve been impressed with my picks so far for the NFL playoffs. The fact that I’m hanging on at the .500 mark is something I find impressive, considering that as much as I enjoy watching football, I don’t follow it all that closely all year long and really don’t know much of anything about the teams in the playoffs – other than most of them could (or did) beat the Lions this year.
Okay, that’s five and I can now set my otherwise occupied mind to some other tasks. Like concentrating on being in vacation mode. You see, after yesterdays picks to see who gets to go to New Orleans, well…. Lets just say I already know someone who’s going for sure. Yep. You see, I know this great place to get some cajun food…. Yep. Beer’s off to New Orleans! Cajun food and zydeco jazz here I come. In the meantime, just like the title of this post says… Let the Good Times Roll! I’ll save the zydeco for when I get back!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Features, Five Thoughts, Florida, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, New Orleans, NFL, picks, playoffs, Silly, Travel
Merry Christmas everyone!
Well, we made it! it’s Christmas day! Sorry I’m a bit tardy today, already getting ready for the dinner and all. Oh well, on with the last Christmas song of the day for this year. It’s from one of my favorite movies, and it’s also what I’m starting on tomorrow. Christmas Vacation!