Good morning everyone, and welcome to another hot, sweltering day here at Beerbarrel Productions. Yep, it’s hot. Looking at the map, it’s pretty much hot everywhere right now, but don’t worry! Relief is on the way! How can I be so sure? It’s simple really. There are only about 158 days until Christmas. Hey, I never said it was gonna cool down anytime soon, just that it would! And with that out of the way, let’s see what we can find for today, shall we?
- You know, when it gets hot and humid like it’s been around here, the bugs love it. Mosquitoes, june bugs, you name it. They all seem to be out in force right now. And when you have lots of bugs around, sometimes you need to take some more extreme measures to combat them. Using enough “bug bombs” to partially collapse a building though? I think you took the “bomb” part of the name a little too literally there…
- Speaking of buildings getting knocked down…. I guess nobody double checked the address, since a contractor in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area was hired to demolish a condemned home. Only to knock down the wrong house. That there is a big old “Texas-sized” whoops!
- This is the part of the post where I include something just because I think it’s cool. I went to a school that had a very prominent fencing program (Or so I’m told). Even then, I never paid much attention to it. I think it’s cool, I just don’t really ever think to myself “Hey, I should watch fencing”. Apparently I’m not alone in that. Enter a really fun, cool idea to try to get people to watch. A marketing campaign comparing it to sword fights in the movies.
As the guys from the Guinness ads would say… Brilliant!
- Switching gears into some at least marginally automotive related news, it seems like I can’t let a week go by these days without posting something about people being fired up about privacy. Like this article, that details how law enforcement agencies are tracking the movements of your license plate as you drive around.
- Lastly, just to be evil and give everyone nightmares, I’m including this one. Now, I’ve taken my fair share of vacations. And I’ve taken my fair share of grief for taking those trips from my co-bloggers who like to have fun with my vacation schedule right here on this very blog. This one though… note to self, NO vacations to Peru. Why you may ask? Because I don’t want to bring home a souvenir in the form of a flesh eating maggot inside my head! Yeah, you read that right. It was in her head!
Okay folks, that’s five and it’s time for me to hit the road. And if the police want to track my license plate, that’s fine. Heck, I could even consider it a public service. If they know where I usually go, and I end up somewhere I’m not familiar with, they’ll be able to tell me how to get there. Because obviously, I musta got lost. And with that, someone will finally understand who wubu gubu with the green teeth is…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Christmas, Commercials, Conspiracy, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Silly, stupid, Travel, Vacation
Happy Friday again everyone. Yes, we’ve been sort of absent for the past week. I actually meant to get a post up Tuesday or Wednesday, but I just couldn’t get it worked out. The post was, ironically, about writer’s block. Still, it’s Friday and that means we’re back at it with our weekly “Five Thoughts”. And awaaaaay we go!
- I’ve been hearing a lot of chatter about this, but this morning I saw it on the front page of Yahoo!. If people didn’t know about it before, they will soon if the major news and web sites (as opposed to blogs and forums, no offense meant) start carrying the story. Blizzard Entertainment (The folks who make World of Warcraft) seem to be playing pretty fast and loose with people’s personal information. I’ll leave my personal thoughts on the sideline and say this… There is NO WAY Blizzard can win the PR battle on this one. None. If this story goes mainstream, the PR backlash they’ll get hit with will be unreal (And remember folks, PR doesn’t have to be logical or rational. You still have to deal with it, though). All they have to do is ask their friends at Facebook.
- Let’s change gears here and deal with soccer (you know, the football the rest of the world plays). Seems there’s been an octopus in Germany that’s been correctly picking a lot of the games. Seems he correctly picked Spain to beat Germany. He got another one right – that’s good, right? Not so much. It appears some people in Germany now feel the octopus would be better off being dinner. Ouch. So much for being good at what you do.
- Get out the tin foil hats! There’s a secret message embedded in the logo of the US Cyber Command’s logo! It might just be their motto, or it could be some message that they’re planning to take over the world! Or it could be someone saying that someone owes them a pizza because they actually put the code in the logo. Have fun with it, folks!
- So LeBron made his choice, huh? I could say I watched it, but I would be lying. I could say I care, and I’d be telling you the truth. “Let me explain… no, there is no time, let me sum up.” I don’t follow basketball all that much. I do read the sports page though so I know what’s been going on. And I *do* care. I really do. I wanted him to hurry up and make his decision. So the story would GET OFF OF MY DAMNED SPORTS TICKER! See? There’s a reason for everything.
- I don’t think I will ever understand this. You didn’t like the verdict and were upset about it, so you rioted. Ok, there’s almost some convoluted logic to that. Why then, when you’re celebrating your team winning the big game… you… riot? Go ahead, call me confused. I just don’t get it.
So there we go, this week’s Five Thoughts. Now that that’s done, can someone tell me if it’s time to start the weekend yet? No? Not yet? Damn.
This past Monday a legendary NHL tough guy passed away far too soon. Bob Probert passed away at age 45 after complaining of chest pains. His funeral is today in Windsor, Ontario Canada. Just across the Detroit river from Windsor sits Joe Louis Arena where he made his name with the Red Wings. He even helped name a band with one of his fights. Five for Fighting took it’s name from the fight.
From John Ondrasik’s Twitter:
To clarify fff was named after a hockey fight between Bob Probert and Marty McSorley #f4f
Here’s the fight, it’s legendary:
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature, Uncategorized
Tagged Blizzard, Blog, Bob Probert, Commentary, Conspiracy, Features, Five for Fighting, Five Thoughts, From the News, LeBron James, Marty McSorley, NBA, RealID, Video Games, World of Warcraft