Happy snowy morning everyone. Yep, it’s another Friday, and that means another edition of Five Thoughts, and here lately – another big snowstorm. It’s been a great week though, so I’m not gonna get a little snow and cold get me down. And with that in mind, let’s get started!
- Speaking of being down, I know this won’t surprise anyone who’s even remotely local, but Detroit was just named to the number one spot on a Forbes list! Of Miserable Cities. Like I said, it’ll be no surprise to any locals.. What’s that? It wasn’t a commentary on the city government? Really! Well, it still a pretty accurate ranking.
- In the meantime, Michigan’s state government is looking to tackle the tough issues. It seems they’re finally getting around to going after those notorious criminals, Kramer and Newman. That’s right you two. The state’s on to your little bottle return scam!
- Being the age that I am, it’s not uncommon for me to reference things from the 80s or 90s. One thing I generally don’t bring up, or even worse, try to bring back is the fashion. Sadly, I may be alone in that. It would appear that one of the worst of the 1990s fashions is trying to make a comeback. Yep, I’m talking overalls. Hmm… I wonder if Tim from Moonshiners has anything to do with it?
- This one ended up being one of my favorite stories of the week. On Monday, Burger King’s twitter account was hacked. On Tuesday morning, the company that handles social media for Jeep posted an article about how to avoid being hacked. 15 minutes later, Jeep’s twitter account was hacked. I haven’t checked the site lately to see if they’ve posted a “How not to tempt fate” article yet.
- Lastly, from the “You’re not real bright, are you?” department… It seems that there’s an organization that’s battling a rash of employees using work issued electronics for inappropriate communications. Yep, ‘sexting’ basically. Now yes, I know it probably happens everywhere to an extent. And there are people who ‘think’ they probably know ways around it. But when it’s happening at the organization that’s gets involved in investigating a lot of these cases… well.. “You aren’t real bright, are you?”. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the F B I. (I wanted to use this quote – but I couldn’t find a video of it). This one still seems appropriate though. We’re gonna need some more FBI guys.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. Time to stare out the window at the snow let the knowledge of my recently scheduled boondoggle keep me warm. Yep, before long it will be Boondoggle time again. Hello, Montego Bay!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Detroit, Die Hard, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Retro, Seinfeld, Silly, stupid, Television
Well, it’s been awhile but Beer figured that he’d allow me to post again. So, I’m going to do my thing and here we go….
1. I know my co-bloggers have stated their feelings on the lockout and Beer made it pretty obvious he won’t be back. Apparently, he’s not the only one. I was surprised just as many were and that “One-third of Canadians polled consider themselves “passionate” about hockey, one-third is neutral on the topic and one-third has no interest at all.” That means that 2/3 of Canadians are not concerned about the lockout. You hear that NHL and NHLPA, 2/3 of Canadians..yes Canadians aren’t interested anymore…have fun splitting those profits. Bonus note though, I found this ad to be interesting….
2. During the holidays, we all buy products that we probably don’t think about where they are made. We might for awhile become passionate about “Made in the USA” products, but after a while we find that finding items like that in all levels of purchases becomes difficult. I do believe if I received this in a purchase, I’d seriously work harder on looking at the labels.
3. I can’t believe that Christmas has come and gone already. I tried to watch as many of my favorite Christmas movies as possible, but I missed one of my favorites. So for all to enjoy is a clip that I just love….
4. I love going to the Ripley’s Fish Aquarium in Gatlingburg and Myrtle Beach. One of the highlights is going in the tunnel and watching the sharks swim past you. I might have to rethink that after seeing this video..yikes!
5. As we approach the New Year, I was intrigued to find out that I missed alot from the past year (like my appendix). I’m even more surprised to find out that missed all these new words and phrases.
Well folks, there you have it. Beer should be back from his “Alcoholiday” next week and I’m off to “Douse the Edisons.”
So I think my fellow co-blogger is unavailable again to do his Five for Friday. I think he does this just to get me to get off my dupa and start writing again. Well, here goes…..
- Anyone that knows me knows that I’m a holiday nut. I’ll watch any movie that has a Christmas theme tied to it no matter how bad it is. Well, I think I’ve finally found a movie that will end that streak for me…Deck the Halls. People, is there any other piece of junk movie out there worse than that one…Bah Hum Bug!
- Along those same lines, is there any more awesome movie with a Christmas theme than the original Die Hard! “Come out to the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs…”
- Where’s the snow dammit! Haven’t you heard what I’m dreaming of…..White Christmas!
- Hey Buddy! Here’s an idea…finish making your turn before you decide to open your car door and pour out your coffee! That way you won’t go bouncing up on the curb almost hitting a telephone pole and have an intersection of people staring at you!
- I’ve always said I’m a simple man with simple thoughts and here’s one. If we’re using all this stimulus money and extending unemployment benefits, why don’t we just offer full tax refunds for businesses to hire new employees? It would be a tax refund for hiring, hell let’s just say two people, and you need to keep them on staff for two years. So my simple plan would be refunding the business owners the full cost of two employees for the first year. That way we get people employed and hopefully start feeling comfortable knowing they have a job for awhile. I’m sure it can be shredded a hundred ways, but hey, I’m trying to thing think outside the box!
Okay, I’m done…hopefully I haven’t scared away any of our two normal readers. My partner in crime will be back next week…until then, keep crashing the net!