Good morning everyone, and welcome to our first Five Thoughts of the new year. We’ve got a bit of a mixed bag here today, but before I get started let me thank Kingkielbasa for filling in for me last week (even though he did take a shot or two at me in his post) while I was out of town. No, let’s see what we can dig up for this week.
- It’s been a while since Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. And even the great lakes area (Toronto, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Chicago, etc..). But the brunt of the damage was definitely on the eastern seaboard, where it became known as “Superstorm Sandy”. The damage was massive, to the point of being hard to quantify. I think this may help a bit though. Keep in mind, these are runways for commercial air traffic, just to provided some scale / reference. And they are jammed full of cars that were flooded and/or damaged by the storm.
- Seeing as how we just posted our NFL playoff picks yesterday (And since we don’t really expect to be picking any NHL playoffs anytime soon) I figured I might talk a little bit more football here today. Last Monday was “Black Monday” in the NFL with 7 head coaches being let go. Now, it’s no secret that our local team is not so good. But I have to laugh. There are people around here who want our coach fired. There is pleading for one of two established coaches that just hit the market to be brought in. The thing is… this two coaches run systems that the fans here just a few seasons back screamed to the heavens to get rid of! Now they want them back? Sheesh!
- When I saw this one, I thought maybe it was going to be about the John Lennon Christmas Song at first. But no, it’s not. And I have to say, I’m shocked, SHOCKED! to find out that there was a false article on Wikipedia. I thought if it was on the internet, it had to be true!
- I can’t help but go with this one. It seems the Vatican has gone ‘Cash Only’ for tourists after its electronic payment systems were blocked by their processing bank. Now, say what you want about them needing to comply with banking rules an all that, but really – shouldn’t a faith based institution trust you when you say you’re good for it on an IOU? Ba-dum-bum!
- I don’t think a rimshot is quite right for this next one. Hey, I know the joke is that Utah is behind the times and all, but when school officials are trying to shut down a school play due to racy lyrics from the Elvis song ‘All Shook Up’ well… What, they’re stuck in the 1950’s? I didn’t think it was that bad out there. And for them, we don’t go with the rimshot. Fortunately, I do know what to go with. Sorry Utah, You lose.
Okay, that’s five and I’m out of here. I’m off to enjoy the weekend and some football. And just for those folks in Utah, here you go.
Have great weekend folks!