Good morning everyone, and welcome to December 21st!
Seems there was a bit of false advertising about the end of the world, huh? Ah well, that just means everyone needs to finish their shopping now. As for me, I’m gonna rush through this just a bit, just so I can jet out on a holiday boondoggle!
- Well, we may not have seen the end of the world, but we may well be seeing the end of Instagram. I mean, wow… how no one at Instagram saw a major backlash coming when they published their (Since revised again) updated terms of service with a line that most everyone took to mean “We have the right to sell any photo you upload without credit or payment to you”… well, wow. Not real bright, are they?
- You know, I’m usually a fan of people who go all Clark Griswold and do up the lights, regardless of their motives. But this lady, she just doesn’t get it. It’s the “holiday season” folks. You may not believe in all of them, or even any of them. But when you’re using your holiday light display to flip off your neighbors? You really don’t get it. Peace on Earth? Goodwill towards man? Aren’t those what it’s supposed to be about this time of year? Ah well.
- Since it is the holiday season – there’s one holiday tradition that seems to be the bane of nearly everyone’s existence this time of year. Yes, we’re talking about the fruitcake. They aren’t all bad though. And some are downright sought after. Especially the ones made by monks in Missouri. No I am not making that up, or confusing it with a Jimmy Buffett song.
- On a completely different note… I’ll just leave this one right here with precious little additional comment. It seems that in Australia…”An Australian court has ruled that a bureaucrat who was injured while having sex on a business trip is eligible for worker’s compensation benefits“.
- And lastly, I want to wish everyone a safe a happy, merry Christmas. And like I said last year – even if you don’t observe or celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a Merry Christmas anyways. Why? because if you do, it means you’ve probably had a pretty good day. And we can all use a few of those now and then.
Okay, that’s five and I’m out of here. I’m off to find a mis-scheduled doomsday party or something. That, and I’m going to leave while keeping a promise I made to myself. When I realized that the 21st I realized that there will probably be a certain REM song that is entirely overplayed today. Now, I may be looking for a Party at the End of the World, but I’m not using that one. I prefer something a bit more festive. Later folks!
Merry Christmas everyone!
Good morning everyone, and welcome to today’s Christmas song of the day. I promised PB I’d use this one tomorrow but upon further review I’m going with it today. Why? Because all those end of the world parties scheduled for tomorrow? They’re pretty much a day late. If the long count calendar ends at midnight on the 21st. Just a reference from Wikipedia… “Midnight is the transition time period from one day to the next: the moment when the date changes”. So tomorrow, it would be too late. And since there weren’t any other appropriate doomsday Christmas songs we turn to Weird Al’s classic… Christmas at Ground Zero.
And end of the world aside…
See you tomorrow for another song! (It think that tells you where I stand on all this, huh?)
Friday Again! Amazing how fast it gets here when your week starts on a Wednesday. Yep, you read the right. Shortly after posting last weeks Five Thoughts Beermaker hit the road for some R&R. I also got chastised for using Traffic’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy”, although coming from someone who also sent me a link to the snazzy napper I’m thinking I don’t have much to worry about. So with all that said, let’s see what’s kicking around in Beermaker’s brain today…
- I have to lead with this. It’s a moral imperative (Bonus points if you can pick out the movie that’s from). Today is National Doughnut Day! And did we get doughnuts here at the office? Of course not. Damned diets. If I were you, I’d check out the local Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme.
And what’s National Doughnut Day without Homer Simpson?
- We aren’t huge basketball followers here at Beerbarrel Productions. Especially not the pro game. I’ve actually considered looking for someone to help with that. That aside, I’m going to miss Shaquille O’Neal. Shaq tweeted out his retirement the other day. As I told my co-blogger, there aren’t very many guys like him left in sports. No, I don’t mean 7 foot whatever and 300 pounds. I’m talking about guys who “get it”. Guys who seem to understand that it’s a game, they’re truly fortunate, and are enjoying the ride for all it’s worth. You can just see it in their eyes (even if they are as intense as can be during the game) and hear it in their voice. They’re having fun. We need more of those types in pro sports, not less.
- 2 weeks on, and a lot of people are still talking about the rapture that wasn’t. And they’re asking a lot of questions about the money that was spent on it. I just wonder, after looking at the guy who predicted it again that maybe they aren’t asking the right person. I just want to know, if Jeff Dunham playing a prank on all of us? When I look at the two side by side, I see it now… (Yes, I photo shopped it together)
- In the news this morning, a small beacon of light, of hope. In the face of once again rising oil prices comes the news that one of the banes of humanity may be facing its end. No, we aren’t talking another terrorist or dictator or anything like that. We’re talking about that damned impermeable, hermetically sealed, often sharper than the razor blades it sometimes holds plastic “clamshell” packaging! Turns out the high oil prices are making it too expensive. Finally! A silver lining to high oil prices!
- Earlier this week our picks for the Stanley Cup finals went up. I think the post name says it all. “The Greatest Trophy“. It really is, no other trophy in sports can match it. Not just because of its age. or the names being etched on it. That’s part of it for sure, but just the history of that trophy. The stories that go along with it. Ones like this article, “The 10 oddest places the Stanley Cup has ever visited“. No other trophy comes close.
Ok, that’s five for this week and I’m off to see if ANYONE around here brought in some donuts.
And while I know it isn’t really fitting for the season, but what the heck… This one is fun, and timely…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged End of the World, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, hockey, Jeff Dunham, NBA, NHL, Office, postaweek2011, Rapture, Shaq, Stanley Cup, story, Twitter, Walter