Happy Freakin’ Friday everyone! Wow, now there’s a phrase that can be taken several ways, can’t it. Well, I’ll let everyone ponder that for a bit as we blast through this week’s post. Should be a mixed bag this week, with a mix of silly, fun, and… stuff! So, let’s get going, shall we?
- I’m a huge coffee guy. I drink a *lot* of coffee. And I’ll be honest, at any given moment the coffee I’m drinking is probably pretty far from being “high quality”. That being said, I do enjoy what is generally known as good coffee. However, you gotta draw the line somewhere. And when I read articles like this, all I can think of is – “This started as a joke or something right?” I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever been needing a cup of coffee so badly I decided that beans that had been pooped out by an animal would work to make a cup of coffee! And yet now… It’s the most expensive coffee in the world!
And of course, I can’t mention fancy coffee without bringing up this:
- Every now and then, you just read one of those stories that you know had several other working titles in the office before the ‘official’ one was settled on. And I know that probably happened with this one. I could see it being called something along the lines of “Movie nerds pee themselves”. Now, what could possibly prompt that? How about being in the theater as “Man of Steel” launches (And where Superman fights General Zod) only to find yourself in the restroom with the original (movie) General Zod himself, Terrance Stamp. Not familiar with the character? Here you go.
- Changing gears a bit, we head to the intersection of (sad) current events and pro sports. I can’t blame the guy for not being amused. It seems ESPN got a little mixed up during coverage of the murder case involving Aaron Hernandez. And referred to the suspect as… Aaron Rodgers. Murder suspect, MVP…. Hey, both start with an ‘M’ right? Sheesh! I gotta side with Mr. Rodgers on this one. Not Funny ESPN.
- So, now that we’ve established ‘not funny’ I think it’s time we move toward something that is funny. Seems only fair. We’ve shown some fun posts of people kayak fishing before. Usually it involves large sharks and such, but we’ve never shown a kayak fisherman being attacked before. Until now. And the attacking species? Great White? Nope. Tiger shark? Negative. Mako? Not even close. It was that menace of the sea known as…. the cuttlefish.
- And to close it out, a note about a family
sticking together. Or maybe not so much, maybe the son didn’t like his cut? Because after recognizing a bank robbery suspect on the television, he called the police. And let them know it was his own mother! Hmmm, maybe he didn’t get the gaming console he wanted for Christmas or something.
And a side note… the story said she demanded $2500 and got $1092. What, did the bank take out taxes on the withdrawal or something?
Okay folks, that’s five for this freakin’ Friday. I’m knocking off early today to look into spending money I don’t have. So in the meantime, why don’t you join me in freaking out. (See, you knew I’d explain it at some point. Right?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Coffee, ESPN, Features, Fishing, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Movies, Silly, Superman, Television
Howdy folks, and welcome to yet another “Five Thoughts”. Beer’s in a good mood this morning. Why? Well, read along and see if you can figure it out. Let’s get started!
- I saw this on ESPN last night, I tweeted about it, and it still has me ticked off. ESPN did their “Top 10 Rivalries”.. now, I was at the bar (shocker!) and I don’t remember all of them but I do remember this…
Yankees/Red Sox was number 1. I have no problem with that.
Harvard/Yale made the list. Really?!?!? Okay, I know it’s a rivalry, but other than the folks who went to one of those schools (And let’s be honest here, it isn’t THAT many people – it’s about the money) who really watches that game. Is it even on TV? (ESPN 8 maybe?)
What really got me cranked up though was number 10 on the list. The only hockey rivalry mentioned. Boston/Montreal. Good old fashioned original six hockey as God intended. Except for one thing… They went with the US slant and completely ignored a little rivalry between Toronto and Montreal. And Detroit and Toronto (sort of dormant right now), and Detroit/Chicago (Want a US slant, there you go). Seriously though… I think I liked it better when ESPN just ignored hockey in favor of things like poker and dodgeball.
- From the news… This one struck me as odd. And not really even “news”. More of a fluff/interest piece if you ask me. But still, when you run a headline link as “25 best places to find rich singles“, it’s just really odd that each place listed talks about the “Median Family Income“. So, let’s review… “Find rich SINGLES” and “Median FAMILY Income”. Am I the only one seeing a disconnect there? Didn’t think so. And my criticism of internet editors can continue unabated. (By the way – we operate without any type of editor here. As if you needed us to actually point it out. I think our typos and grammatical errors speak for themselves.)
- Being self confessed “car guys” here at the Beerbarrel, I’d be remiss if I didn’t make mention of an event coming up this weekend. The Woodward Dream Cruise. If you’re a fan of cars, you should go at least once to see it. It skews to older American muscle cars, but there is something there for everyone. It’ll definitely take you back, even if it’s to a time before you were born. And you might even see one or two of these..
- What won’t you see at the Dream Cruise? Probably one of these. Ok, I’ve seen motorized beer coolers, bar stools, and all that before. They’re funny. They’re toys. Let’s cover this again people…. They Are Not For Driving On Actual Roads. Especial after tossing a few back! Got it? Good. Red?
(Yeah, we pretty much keep that clip bookmarked for occasions like this.)
- I have to pick on this article before I go. Now, make no mistake. Getting attacked by a shark is not cool. I’d prefer not to be someone they interview for shark week. But when you read a report of a shark attack with this line in it…
“Witnesses said the shark was about 13 feet (4 meters) long with large fins, according to the Pravda report.”
Oh, good. Thanks for clearing that up. We know JUST which shark it was now. Good grief….
Ok folks, that’s Five and I.. am… out of here! Keep an eye out for the King next week. He’ll be minding the store. Why? Well, Gold old Beer is… well.. I’ll just let Willie explain it.
(And as for that being stuck in your head all day now.. You’re welcome)
Have a great weekend folks!
A rainy Friday. Boo. Still, a rainy Friday is better than a sunny Monday. Why, you may ask? Well because silly. Friday means it’s time for this week’s edition of Five Thoughts! (Too self important? I was going for lighthearted fun.)
Let’s see… where to start this week? I know, let’s start here:
- Brett Micheals, former Poison frontman admitted this week that he was home “watching porn” when his brain hemorrhage occurred. Turns out he was flipping between ESPN and “Busty Cops 3”. I have an idea.. someone get in touch with Netflix and let me know if rentals of that title suddenly increase.
- Would this get filed under “Whoops! Our bad!” by the medical community if it ends up being true? Study suggests smallpox vaccine may protect against HIV That would be the smallpox vaccine that they stopped using in the 1950’s because smallpox was basically eliminated.
- In my continued despise for all the remakes that are coming out, I have to admit that when I first read about this I thought it sounded like a horrible idea. Especially when I heard they would change the theme song. Well, it isn’t as bad as I feared. The remade the song, they didn’t change it. That makes sense. it may still bomb on TV before anyone even knows it’s there, but you DO NOT change the theme song to Hawaii Five-O. The song WAS the show. A remake/cover of the song is understandable.
- Last week it was a zombie satellite. This week… Aliens hijacking a satellite? I sure hope they aren’t yelling at us to get off of their lawn! (and take our toy with us)
- See, this is why the internet is bad for grammar. The headline of the article is “Nude cemetery photos result in charges“. That means he’s been charged with a civil infraction. A crime. The headline as it appeared on the MSN.com site was (and this is a direct cut and paste folks) “Man charged for nude cemetery photos“, which leads you to think… “Well, how much did they cost?” See the difference there? Technically, there’s a price to be paid either way, but the meanings are quite different.
You really can't make this type of stuff up
Ok, so that’s five and it’s time to switch into weekend mode!
(You didn’t think I’d skip the video, did you? This one seems fitting given the Voyager 2 article…)
I really wanted to go with the original Hawaii Five-O, but I held off. Too easy.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Aliens, Brett Michaels, ESPN, Features, Five Thoughts, Grammar, MSN, Porn, Silly, Smallpox, Television, Voyager, Voyager 2