Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. I’m Beermaker, and I’ll be your guide through this week’s review of the weird, wacky, and just plain dumb. First off, to answer a question… No. I was not on vacation last week. PB just wanted to write Five Thoughts last week, and I think he did a bang up job. So, with that out of the way… Let’s get started!
- Now, I’m still officially boycotting the NHL, but I never did stop being a fan of hockey. And having played the game, even at a recreational level, you gain a real appreciation for how tough these guys really are. It’s often said they’re the toughest pro athletes around. Usually that’s made in reference to guys playing with a broken jaw, or a big cut from a high stick, etc. Well, I’m here to tell you folks – it’s been done before in the past, but the gold standard of tough in the NHL was just reaffirmed this past week. What is said standard? Well, let’s just go with the text from the article….
“The shot broke Campbell’s leg, specifically the right fibula. He stayed on the ice for 10 seconds, clearly in pain. Then he did something only a hockey player would do. He got up and killed the rest of the penalty off.”
Go ahead. Read that last part again. The part where we put the hyperlink. He finished killing a penalty. On a Broken Leg. For another 40 seconds. That deserves a video, and I think there’s one that fits perfectly…..
- Speaking of tough… For years, Ford Motor Company has used a tagline in their truck advertising, “Built Ford Tough”. Turns out, they may want to start using that line in the Mustang advertising as well. We all saw the devastation from the Tornado that tore through Moore, Oklahoma. Suffice to say it was tragic, and horrible. It was not enough, however, enough to knock a 2003 Ford Mustang off the road. It survived a direct hit from an EF-5 tornado and kept running! The article is really worth a read.
- Changing gears a bit here… We all get crap in the mail. Junk mail, bills, advertising flyers, the usually. What we don’t usually get in the mail is actual, bona-fide, dog crap. But that’s what’s happening in a small town in Spain. When people let their dogs do what the need to do, and then don’t pick it up? The city does. And apparently mails it back to the owner as ‘lost property’. Hey, at least they aren’t leaving it on the front porch in a burning paper bag, right?
- It’s not often we get to include a PSA (That would be public service announcement in this case) here in a Five Thoughts post. But today we do. Just remember folks, you can steal the copper from the house, but if you steal and drink some of the beer you find there as well…. The police will find you.
- And lastly. Apparently today is National Doughnut Day. And what better way to lead into a new part of a theme part dedicated to the family led by one of the biggest doughnut lovers of all. One Homer J. Simpson. Universal Orlando has released pictures of the new Simpson’s themed area of their park. And it looks hilarious! Any one want to go grab a Krusty Burger? As for the link between Homer and doughnuts? It’s very well documented.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m looking to get an early start on the weekend. In the meantime, I want to close out here with a song/video just for our very own Kingkielbasa. I’m sure he’ll appreciate the choice here today as he prepares to head across the pond. Nothing like a nice song from The Clash to get you going on a Friday.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Boston Bruins, Commentary, Donuts, Features, Five Thoughts, Ford, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, hockey, Holiday, Mustang, NHL, playoffs, Silly, stupid
Howdy folks! Beer’s back from yet another boondoggle to bring you this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thank you to PB for filling in for me last week while I was out of town. I came back with an idea of what I wanted to call this week’s post, and then life decided to trow even more ideas at me – until I had more titles for this post than I could use. And that’s how we landed where we did. So, what’s going on today? Well, let’s find out!
- A lot going on here in town today as it’s the home opener for the Detroit Tigers. The home opener is virtually a holiday here. Always a huge crowd at the ballpark, and an even bigger crowd downtown outside the ballpark. And that’s great for the team, great for the city, great for almost everyone. One person lost out today though. Last night a young man from the University of Detroit won the NCAA college basketball slam dunk competition. And while Yahoo Sports has a story on it, it was nowhere to be seen on the front pages of the local Detroit paper sites. So I’m putting it here. Because I can.
- On a completely different note – I saw this story in the news lately. Talk about a company bound and determined to put itself in bankruptcy. After everything that’s gone wrong lately, when I read a headline that says “Crews corral cruise ship that tore loose“, I could only think of one cruise line. And yep, if you said Carnival you would be correct. I think people would be more willing to cruise on the Exxon Valdez if it were still around than they would be to get on a Carnival cruise at this point.
- Staying on the water for a moment. You aren’t gonna need a bigger boat this time. You might however, just give up on going in the water altogether. Especially when you see the nearly 7 foot long, 102 pound barracuda this guy caught. Barracuda are bad news at 10-20 pounds. At 100? Eek. Come to the great lakes folks – our fish don’t (and aren’t capable of it) try to eat you!
- Slowly but surely, and despite the massive ice flows I saw on the Straights of Mackinac last weekend all the signs of spring are slowly arriving. The robins are back, baseball is back, and I’m getting the annual hot rod bug. And seeing that ‘Eleanor‘ from “Gone in 60 Seconds” is going up for auction certainly isn’t helping.
- Lastly, since I just love ‘news of the odd, I have to include this one. Of course, sometimes the odd stuff can be a bit scary. Or hairy. Or in this case, both. Now, what could be both? How about a large species of tarantula, roughly the size of an adult human face? Yeah. That’s what I thought, too. To anyone who has a real fear of spiders? Sorry about the nightmares. You um…. might want to avoid Sri Lanka.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to enjoy the opening day festivities. And really, given the events of today, there’s only one song to go with. I just wish I was sitting out there in Centerfield.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Detroit, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, MLB, Mustang, Spiders
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. “Hey Beer, you do realize you never did post that ‘Notes from the road’ piece regarding our recent Boondoggle, right?” Ahem… Before we were so rudely interrupted by my (begrudgingly correct) brain… I was about to say “That you haven’t posted the Boondoggle recap?”.. No! I mean, yes, I haven’t posted it. I’ll recap it in this column, happy now? “Close enough, works for me. One of us has to keep track of these things you know”
Okay, now that we have that out of the way I was about to say… Today’s going to be one of our typical “All over the map” editions. So before I get any more unexpected suggestions, let’s get at it shall we?
- I had thoughts of being mean and/or cruel with the post and the title today, but a few things derailed it. I had thought about calling it the “Was that a Banana?” edition. But since I’d have to explain that line (From NHL Arcade)…
just to set up an earworm. I decided against it. What earworm, you may ask? Well, turns out there making a sequel to one of my co-bloggers favorite recent movies. And the first trailer is out. And who doesn’t love Minions singing Banana to the tune of Barbara Ann?
- In honor of today being “National Beer Lover’s Day“, I’m stealing a line from the Most Interesting Man in the World. “I don’t always read the Huffington Post, but when I do… It’s about beer.” Or in this case, the top selling domestic brands. I do have some questions though. Since Anheuser Busch is part of ABInBev (based in Belgium) and Miller is part of SAB Miller (based out of England)… Do any Anheuser (Including all the Budweiser products) or Miller products *really* count as domestics anymore?? Just asking.
- I’m sure this really got a lot of the tin foil conspirators up in arms, but to me it’s much ado about nothing. Finding out that the Social Security Administration purchased 174,000 hollow point bullets does however, give new meaning to the to the term… Granny Get Your Gun. Now… Get off my lawn! It’s time for Matlock.
- So, a new study out of the UK states…
“Purple is the most amorous color, according to a new study which found that people who decorate their bedrooms in the color have the most active sex lives.
The survey of 2,000 British adults by retailer Littlewoods found that those with purple bedding or furniture had 3.49 “intimate encounters” per week. The least active color scheme in the survey was gray, averaging 1.8.”
To which I have to ask… and you verified the responses were true…. How? Pervs!
- Lastly, in the “we’re gonna need a bigger boa..” What’s that? No. Really? You’re sure? Damn. No, it’s okay, thank you. Well, seems this one isn’t from the “We’re gonna need a bigger boat” department after all. And it seems that the pier was plenty large enough. If you haven’t caught on (see what I just did there?) to what the pier was big enough for.. well, there are pictures in the article. The article about “For the second time in two months a great white shark was hooked on a Southern California pier”
My favorite line from the whole article though? This line…
Martin added: “I have to say one thing that was funny: Seconds after the shark was set free a swimmer swam right in front of the shark and the shark went under the swimmer and the swimmer had no idea what just swam under him.”
That Man… Has an odd sense of “funny”
Okay folks that’s five and I’m off to pursue a weekend of beermaking. Heck, what would you expect from someone who goes by the nickname “Beermaker”? In the meantime, a few notes from the road…
I am officially addicted to jerk chicken.
Red Stripe while floating in the pool is very nice.
Rum while floating in the pool is very nice.
In fact, EVERY drink we had while floating in the pool was very nice.
We did a LOT of floating in the pool while sampling drinks.
We got a short visit from Tropical Storm Isaac.
Compared to Hurricane Irene last year, it was nothing.
We ended up with an unscheduled overnight layover in Miami thanks to Isaac, though.
So we did what anyone would do in that situation… we went and had Cuban sandwiches and beers! (Hey, don’t judge!)
We learned once again that amidst a screaming mass of rude people at the airport, treating the people you’re talking to like humans and using words like please and thank you get you a lot furthers than name calling and unreasonable demands.
Oh, and the US Customs agents will look at you like you’re crazy when your wife declares the ONE bottle of rum that you got as a gift when they ask. Then they’ll send you on your way.
Okay folks, that’s it for me today. Since it’s National Beer Day, let’s go with something that should be sort of appropriate to get us to drinking time…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Beer's Boondoggles, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, Movies, Silly, Travel, Video Games
Howdy folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. before we get going, let’s touch on the title of today’s post. In other words… Happy Star Wars Day. Don’t get it? Here’s a clue… say the part of the title that’s in quotes. Still no? Okay, say it again then listen to this.
Okay, now that we have that out of the way (Hey, I’m just the messenger here folks) let’s see what we can cover today…
- We’ve got one heck of a mixed bag assembled this week. Wait… did I just say “Assemble”. You know, there’s a tiny little movie opening in the States this weekend after a big opening overseas. And it uses the word assemble. It also uses two of my co-blogger’s favorite words. In fact when paired together, I think it may well be his favorite two word combination. What are they? Hulk, and Smash. As in.. “Hulk? Smash.” Might need to go see this one.
- I’ll leave it for you to decide. Cool, creepy, ego-maniacal, or just someone having some fun because they can. And which picture is more disturbing, the ice in the glass, or the stretched out photo on the side with the person holding the ice cube in the tongs? Yes, we’re talking about ice cubes. Made to look like Sir Richard Branson.
- So, imagine you’re walking along the beach. Just sort making note of all the stuff that you’re finding washed up. All the normal stuff, you know… Seashell, dead fish, oh, there’s a tiny little crab running around, rocks, seaweed, Harley Davidson, wait…. what was that last one? That’s right. Harley Davidson. Washed clear across the Pacific ocean from Japan. The things our planet can do at times.
- Staying on/in the water for a moment… If you’ve ever needed a bigger boat.. This is probably not the auction for you. The U.S. Navy is auctioning off it’s stealth ship. Now, before you start making plans to import large amounts of Cuban rum and cigars into the Florida Keys…. The ship will be disassembled. Boo. Well, maybe the market for the scrap metal will be more than the winning bid.
- And for our fifth item today, let’s talk about something for Cinqo de Mayo. I’d like to make a small suggestion on this busy, busy day. You see, it’s not only Cinqo de Mayo (aka any excuse to throw a party, right?). It’s also the 1st Saturday of may. Which means two things. It’s National Homebrew Day. That’s right. A day dedicate to making your own beer. Pretty spiffy if you ask me. The other event? The Kentucky Derby. The most famous horse race in the world. So, my suggestion? In the middle of all the revelry for Cinqo de Mayo and Big brew… take a few moments out around post time for the Derby (6:24pm EDT) and have yourself an All-American drink on Cinqo de Mayo. Have a Mint Julep. Then go right back to your beer, tequila, and tacos. Have fun, but be safe!
Okay folks, that’s Five on the fourth and I am done for the week. So let’s head out into what should be a pretty good party weekend with something a bit more contemporary than what we’ve been using lately. And since it is Star Wars Day, I thought this would fit absolutely perfectly.
Have a great weekend folks! May the Fourth be with you!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, Homebrew, Mint Julep, Movies, Star Wars, Tequila