Howdy folks and welcome to the last Five thoughts before Christmas. It’s pretty quiet here today, so I’m just going to jump right in.
- Off on break for the holidays, and since it’s the night before the night before Christmas. I think I’m going to keep this one short this week.
- It’s the holidays, and we’re all eating too much, aren’t we? I know I am. It always seems like the office has a magic tub of Christmas cookies this time of year. No matter how many cookies people eat, it’s still got cookies in it!
- I still need to finish up Christmas shopping for one person. Other than that, I’m done. And I’ll be heading out to finish that bit of shopping here shortly. Hope everyone else is in good shape too.
- I always wonder on a day like today. Knowing that you’ll be overeating tomorrow…. Do you try to go light today, and save room or do you go big, and try to get “warmed up” for the next day? Decisions, decisions….
- Lastly, but certainly not least I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. And if you don’t celebrate Christmas? Have a Merry Christmas anyways. Why? Because if you do, you’ll at least have a nice day. And everyone deserves one of those every now and then, especially this time of year. I think so, at least.
Okay, that’s five and I’m off to start the holidays and finish my shopping! Now, if only we could do something about the fact that’s I’m still looking at my lawn and not the white stuff that’s supposed to be on the ground this time of year.
Merry Christmas folks!
Good morning folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. So, what are we thinking today? Why don’t we find out….
- First thought of the day.. LAST FRIDAY IN THE OFFICE OF THE YEAR!! Sorry for shouting. Had to get that out of my system though. Yep, as of this time next week it’ll be Christmas Vacation. Works for me! A fun thought for the season though, I tried it out last weekend. Everyone gets caught up with the “Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays” debate. Try this instead.. Don’t say Merry Christmas. Don’t say Happy Holidays. Say “Mele Kalikimaka”. They’ll be stunned. And confused. And then they’ll smile. Hey, it worked for Bing Crosby!
- If you’re like me you still have anywhere from a little to all of your Christmas shopping to get finished up. Well, if you’re like me that also means you have pretty much one week to get it done. So, you have been warned, folks. (Luckily, I’m on the “one more thing” side of the coin this year). And for the record? As I write this SantaClaus.com says you have 8 days. But remember folks, that’s for the start of December 25th. So if you need to have them wrapped and under the tree before then….
- I am now playing the release version of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Yep, I got my early access email. I’m still creating/deleting characters though, trying to figure out what to play. Eventually I’ll probably try one of each I think – just to see the stories. Things are slightly different from the beta. I could probably do a whole review post on it. We’ll see. What really struck me though, wasn’t anything directly related to the game. No, it happened when I had finished creating a character and hit play. A cinematic starts with the famous Star Wars “scroll” and the music. That music. It blows my mind how this many years later, all you need is the first note, maybe two and you instantly recognize it.
- I think I may have to bring Red back for this one. Seriously, you’re a professional athlete. And while I know that doesn’t set you up for life by default, it sure can if you’re smart about it. But if the story about Sam Hurd of the Chicago Bears being arrested is true, well… Red?
- And after that last one, well… I have absolutely nothing mean to say about this story. As we get closer and closer to Christmas (And other assorted holidays), I think it’s nice to hear about something like this every now and then. Maybe there is a little hope after all, you know?
Okay, that’s five and I’m ready to head into the weekend. The holidays are bearing down fast now, so we’ll keep with the theme of running another holiday themed song. I don’t think this one will draw a rebuttal from my co-blogger though. Apparently, he just really doesn’t like that song I linked to last week. This week? Vince Guaraldi. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend folks!
Howdy folks, and happy December to you all. Did you get enough to eat last weekend? Still eating leftovers? Did you survive shopping on black Friday if you went? Personally, I think I’m just now starting to come out of the food coma I put myself into. Anyhow, let’s get cracking and see what five things we can think up and mock today, shall we?
- It’s now December 2011. That means we’re now less than a month from 2012. You know, the year the Mayans got to when they were making their calendar and stopped. Prompting theories that 2012 will prove to be the end of the world. And now, we have undeniable proof that may well be the case.
Remember the band Hanson from the 90’s? They sang that MmmmBop song? Well, now they’re coming out with an “MmmHop” Beer. Yeah, if that isn’t a sign of the apocalypse I don’t know what is.
- Staying on drinks here for a bit, now that we’re heading into the holidays it’s time to start planning this year’s egg nog hunt. No, I’m not talking about that stuff from the supermarket. No, I’m not going to make my own. I go out and hunt down some from a local dairy. It’s the type that’s so damned thick it defies any attempt to mix in a nice dark rum or bourbon into it. Unless you do it right. THAT’S the kind of egg nog I’m going hunting for.
- This one is a bit of a buzzkill. It’s not holiday related at all. It’s about how our smartphones are logging our data. All of it. Without an opt-out function. Bah, Humbug indeed. Not cool folks, not cool.
- Back into a more jolly mode for this one. In an effort to become a more helpful blog, we’ve decided pass along a link to guide for ‘Gifting the gamer in your life‘ from CNN. It’s far from the only list out there, but there are some decent suggestions to be had if you need help finding a game for someone.
- And once you’re done with all that shopping (Hopefully well before December 23rd or 24th), it’s time to kick back and relax. One of my favorite choices is, of course, beer! So with that in mind, Imbibe has a listing of their “Best Holiday Beers“. Be warned though, as some of the beers on that list have a kick of their own, with some hitting 14% alcohol by volume. Ho Ho Ho!
Okay folks, that’s Five and I’m ready to start the weekend. And on the way out, just because we like the song around here…. It’s a Marshmallow World!
Have a great weekend folks!
“Um.. Beer? You know it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, right? It isn’t the end of the year, it’s not really even all that close to it.”
Hush, and let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Anyways, it’s the last Friday before Thanksgiving in the United States. Next week is Black Friday. With that, the holiday season is off and running and there’s no stopping it. By the time you blink it will be Christmas and then the year will be over. So everyone, take a deep breath and say goodbye to 2011. Because after this weekend, you aren’t going to have time. Anyways, on to today’s post! (I had actually intended to go a bit video game centric in today’s post. What with doing the Star Wars: The Old Republic weekend test last weekend and all. Then the reviews from the LA Auto show started to show up online. And my inner gear-head got all cranked up again. So, let’s start with cars.)
- News from
Bizzaro Land, um Los Angeles. The old rules of the known automotive universe no longer apply. Nissan now has a production car (The 2013 GT-R) that will do 0-60mph in 2.7 seconds. I’m gussing it will also get you a speeding ticket in roughly the same amount of time. Not to be outdone (But a completely different type of vehicle), Ford Motor company whipped up some sort of alternate universe Shelby GT500 that has 650 horsepower, will push the 200mph barrier, and… doesn’t get hit with the gas guzzler tax!!??!?!?!! How is that even possible (Don’t get me wrong though, I highly encourage this type of thing!)?
(Both links are worth following, just for the pictures of the cars)
- From the land of “Apparently Hollywood is never going to learn, or admit they have no new ideas”… NBC has not only accepted a script…but has ordered the production of a pilot. Of the Munsters. Listen, I liked the original Munsters a lot. I love the Munstermobile (Both of them actually, don’t forget Grandpa’s ride!).
But Hollywood, let it go, folks. Frankly, I’m shocked that they aren’t doing a reality TV show for the casting of the pilot. Oh crap, I hope I didn’t just give them an idea.
- Doing the segue… Speaking of pilots (Of a different type). A bit of a scary moment turned comical the other day when the truth finally got out. The captain went to the restroom, where he got stuck due to a faulty door latch. The poor co-pilot, who got left alone to wonder why the captain wasn’t coming back got a message from a passenger. Frankly, I can see some people getting upset when they hear the audio, and I can understand it. But I can also see the co-pilot’s point of view. He opens that door, and control of the plane is at risk. The captain though, I feel for him. How would you like to be known from now on as “The pilot who caused an emergency landing by getting stuck in the bathroom”. He’s going to have to own that one, because there’s no avoiding it. But hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go.
- Switching back over to gaming, as I tweeted earlier in the week, I had a blast testing out the Star Wars game last weekend. And I see there are tons of giveaways for beta keys for the next test weekend now. I think it’s going to be a very good game. Will it threaten Warcraft? I don’t know. WoW has it’s own big content patch coming soon (4.3). Looks like there may be some gaming to be done here in the near future. I’ve also stumbled across The Godfather: Five Families and will give that a look, but I’m expecting to see something akin to mafia wars on Facebook. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong.
- Back to television for a moment. I miss “That 70’s Show”. Why do I miss it? I miss it because I miss Red. He got it. He understood that if you’re going to host a pornographic website, as a teacher you probably shouldn’t use your SCHOOL DISTRICT ISSUED LAPTOP to work on it. If you do, that makes you, as Red would say… A Dumbass.
Okay folks. That’s Five and I’m ready to get the weekend (and the end of the year) started. By this time next week we’ll all be in holiday mode. Or a food coma, which is kind of the same thing. Anyways, no music this week. Instead we’re going to let William Shatner make sure you all stay safe if you’re looking to fry a turkey this year. There was no way I wasn’t using this video.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Autoblog, Cars, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Holiday, Porn, postaweek2011, Silly, Star Wars, stupid, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Thanksgiving is rolling towards us, and when it comes to this holiday, there’s really only one holiday special that comes to mind. The old WKRP “Turkeys Away” episode.
Yes, it has some commercials, but it’s totally worth watching. Like the post title says, it’s a Thanksgiving classic. After all, you get to hear the line “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”.
Have fun, eat candy, be safe! But watch out for things that go ‘bump’ in the night…
Just don’t get too scared out there, unless you hear something like this.
Then, you’d best start running….