Howdy folks, and welcome to the next to last Friday before Christmas. And yep, we’re starting to get caught up in all the usual holiday hubub, hence the title of this week’s post. You know how it goes, Invitations to be at three different things in three different places on the same day, trying to make sure all the last minute gifts are bought, dealing with single digit temperatures at night, all the fun stuff. In the meantime, the world marches on. And with that, let’s see what we have for this week!
- I’m going to start with this one because it made me laugh. Straight from the “wait, someone actually got paid money to research this?” department comes a study that has looked into, of all things, the drinking habits of one James Bond. Yes. THAT James Bond. And apparently, they’ve determined his drinking is likely to be the cause of his demise. According to the study “British researchers predict he could die from alcohol-related causes, such as liver damage, by age 56.” Assuming of course, he doesn’t die first from, of I don’t know… Bullets, Knives, Bombs, Poison, Explosions, Lasers, Sharks, Plane Crashes, or any other exotic, overly complicated means of death. Because he’s a spy. Which totally makes alcohol his likely cause of death. Sheesh
- Speaking of sharks…. Note to self, if you ever get a chance to go to the beach near Camp Pendleton. Do not go swimming. Fishing on the other hand, might be fun, considering there are great white sharks to be caught. And yes, this is one of those stories that I used because I thought it was cool. And at least this is a shark story that doesn’t involve a shark biting a human.
- Staying in the “I thought it was cool” department, but moving to the automotive history wing of the exhibit…. We have an article talking about the history of the Michelin Man. Never really realized he’d been around so long. And yeah, some of those early costumes, gotta say I agree. They could be viewed as being quite creepy. I did think the picture of him smoking a cigar was kind of funny. Not what I usually think of when I think of smoking tires. More like this:
- As the holidays approach, and you plan and get ready for your holiday travels and travails, here’s a piece of advice to keep in mind. It’s generally okay to sleep on the plane. Heck, I’ve been known to nod off before we’re even off the ground. But when you manage to sleep through the landing, well… you risk being left on the plane and locked in!
- Lastly… Ah those crazy Canadians. Now they’re trying to claim the North Pole! Now, I’m not an authority on the subject, but I don’t believe Santa Claus considers himself to be a Canadian. And it was certainly never mentioned as such in any of the TV specials I watched growing up. So I really can’t see this happening without a fight. Especially since they’re doing it right around Christmas. I bet they’re hoping to catch him out of the workshop when they show up. My money is on Santa in this one. It’s been tried before.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. So until next week, how about an old school Christmas song that doesn’t get a ton of play, from back when MTV actually had music and stuff going on?
Have a great weekend folks!