Friday again already. Hard to complain when you’re staring at a weekend, isn’t it? Let’s see where today leads us…
- So last weekend, The Karate Kid offed the A-Team for the top spot at the box office. I wonder… was it Wax on, or Wax off?
- Saw what may be one of the dumbest advertisements the other day. It was fear mongering at it’s best. The ad says “Stop the spread of bacteria in your home” or some such nonsense. The product? An automatic soap dispenser. See, if you don’t have to touch it, you won’t get those icky, nasty bacteria on your hands! Of course, isn’t the point of WASHING your hands with soap and water to clean them? And doesn’t the touching of the soap dispenser occur BEFORE said washing? Meaning any minuscule amount of bacteria you pick up from touching the soap dispenser… would get washed away anyways? Listen, if you really want to throw your money away that badly, send it to us! Happy we could clear that one up.
- With the next World of Warcraft expansion approaching, it seems the people who try to steal account information (commonly referred to as being “hacked”) are really stepping up their phishing efforts. I get several emails from them every day. To an email that I’ve never used for the game. Heck, I’m even getting emails warning my my account could be suspended on games I’ve never even played or registered for! Nice to see they don’t discriminate. The account I did use, ironically, has never gotten a single email from them.
- I can’t even begin to list the number of things that started running through my head when I saw the headline: Flight Attendant Helps Land Plane When First Officer Falls Ill. Did he have the fish? Was he wearing a Lakers jersey? They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. Where they also out of coffee? If you have no clue what I’m talking about, go rent Airplane!, right now.
- They were, after all…. “On a Mission from God“. And it was one of the all time great movies ever made.
That’s five for today and we’re out of here. Before we go though, a happy Father’s day to all you Dads out there, including our very own King.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged A-Team, Airplane!, Beatles, Blues Brothers, Cataclysm, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Karate Kid, Lakers, Movies, phishing, Silly, stupid, World of Warcraft
Well it’s Friday again, and that means it’s time for this week’s Five Thoughts.
- I’ll admit to trying to cheat this week. I tried to get most of this written last night (Five thoughts on a Thursday?). Apparently WordPress thought that would be a bad idea. The dashboard site that we use to publish was down. All night (Ok, maybe not all night. Just the 2 or so hours I was checking). No big deal, except for that cheerful little “WordPress will be back in just a minute” error message. That was there, for hours, not minutes.
- I’ve been keeping an eye on this one. They’re calling it “The Drudge Tax“. Technically, this little feature we do here may fall under it since I tend to link to stories. Still, the show goes on. And believe me folks, you don’t want to see me doing 5 thoughts worth of original stuff every week. It would be… out there.
- A lady who’s trying to be the “heaviest living woman”. She says, and this is a direct quote from the article, “I’m very healthy. I go to the doctor every three months”. The article also points out that she’s more than 600 pounds, suffers from Type 2 diabetes and struggles with basic tasks such as cooking and taking a shower. Um, Lady? Your definition of “healthy”? I don’t think it means what you think it means.
- As if having skunks around your house isn’t bad enough. Having RABID skunks in your neighborhood? That’s just…. ouch. I think that’s about as bad as it gets.
- I think it’s safe to dub this “Remake Weekend” at the box office. With not one, but two remakes of 80’s favorites. First off, The Karate Kid it’s a different take from what I can see. Having just seen Rush Hour again, I wonder if they’ll be able to work in any of the Jackie Chan light-hearted humor. Second, the A-Team. Apparently in the version of the A-Team, they actually shoot people! Did someone not tell them that was part of the joke on the original show? All those guns going off, and nobody getting shot. That *was* the joke. Of course, given the state of Hollywood and the way they’re recycling old ideas, every weekend could be “Remake Weekend”.
From the originals…
Ok, that’s five and we’re out for the weekend. Something about graduation season being in full swing.
Have a great weekend, folks!
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged A-Team, Blog, Drudge Tax, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Jackie Chan, Karate Kid, Movies, Rabid Skunk, stupid