Howdy folks, and welcome to today’s edition of Five Thoughts. Now, I’ll admit I may be taking some liberties with the “Food” theme today, but trust me… it’s all arguably somewhat food related. Just wait and see. (And if you’re of a certain age group like I am… you might be hearing an old Heinz ad jingle right now. Anyone remember the “anticipation” commercials?)
- While we’re on the subject of ketchup… I’m guessing prices may be going up slightly here in the short-term. And I’m pretty that the snow plows used to remove the remains of thousands of bottles of spilled ketchup from an accident site were never exactly designed or tested for that use. Don’t they know that’s what french fries are for??
- Okay, arguably this is more ‘beverage’ than ‘food’, but you get the tie in, right? And that giant scream you heard off in the distance recently? The one where you thought you were just hearing things? No, it was real. It appears it was the cellar master of the Chivas distillery upon realizing the scope of the “accidental loss” (aka a SPILL) of what the distillery will only say is “Less than the estimated 18,000 liters”. So, you lost less than roughly 4700 gallons of whiskey? Wow, don’t light a match by those sewers anytime soon!
Could be a repeat of this classic scene.
- And of course, one of the big stories right now in the food world is the horse meat scandal that going on. And earlier this week it claimed its largest victim, with the horse meat being linked to the Swedish meatballs at Ikea. Be honest now. You did it too. Just like I did. The minute you read that headline, your mind instantly thought of this. Didn’t it? The Swedish Chef popped into your head.
- This one made me laugh. One of the big, hot “urban renewal” things right now is “urban farming”. Basically, growing produce on lots in the city. Now, in a “This is news to you?” type of twist, some brain surgeon has figured out that letting people grow food on lots that could have qualified as Superfund sites, could result in harmful chemicals getting into the food. Really? Those lots where a new development couldn’t go because of contamination, or where the 90-year-old crack house got torn down might not be the best soil to grow food in? Where are the Guinness guys to yell “Brilliant!” when you need them? Oh, here the are!
- Lastly, because it’s Friday and I’m going to be lazy about it. No, that’s not entirely true. When a fast food chain basically writes the joke for you, you should use it. It’s the respectful thing to do. So the announcement by Subway that they’re now going to offer six inch subs for $3? Hey, why not. They already cut their footlong subs down to 11 inches, remember? Yeah, Yeah. I know. Ba-dum-bump.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ll stop playing with my food now! I know, I know. Okay, maybe just one more. After all, there’s really only one song to close out with here today. After all, you aren’t supposed to play with your food. You’re supposed to Eat It.
Have a great weekend folks!
Good morning everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. We’re going to try to have our review of our less than stellar picks in last weeks NFL playoff games, as well as our guesses for this weeks games up this afternoon. In the meantime, let’s see what sill stuff is rattling around inside Beer’s brain this morning, shall we?
- Well, college football season is pretty much over. I say pretty much because we still get a few ‘bowl’ games like the senior bowl and the like, but the real games are done. And out of all the games comes a very cool story. I sometimes think we get so much bad news all the time (Because that’s what sells) that we forget that every now and then, some people do some very cool things. Like faking an injury in a bowl game. Yes, this time it’s cool. Because by faking that injury he allowed his backup, a non-scholarship ‘Rudy’ type guy, to get into the game. See, there is still some good news in the world. Plus, it’s a Rudy reference that lets me use one of my favorite commercials from the bowl games. Tim Brown and ‘Rudy’ going to the Heisman House.
- And while we’re talking about college football and the end of the season, I have to bring this up. I’m I big fan of statistics and measurements, and computerized analysis and all that, but when it comes to sports, well… “That’s why they play the games”. You never know what could happen and it gives you “The eyeball test”. Case in point, the BCS championship game. Alabama in a rout. Yet one BCS computer… picked Notre Dame as the #1 team even after its loss to Alabama.
- This past week, David R. Ellis passed away. You might know him better as the director of “Snakes on a Plane”. In one of the more fitting tributes… A large python boarded the outside of a Quantas flight from Australia to New Guinea. And it also gives me a reason to go with… “Snakes on a Plane”‘s signature moment. (Warning, foul language)
- I was drawn to this next headline by the simple absurdity of it., “Sweden seeks 2 Britons for smuggling garlic“. And apparently I’m out of the loop as far as how lucrative and widespread the garlic smuggling industry is. Those guys were smuggling millions of dollars worth of garlic. Here at home, I can by a bulb of garlic cloves for less than a buck – and that’s retail! Just how much demand for garlic is there in Sweden??? I mean, the Swedish Chef never struck me as the type to use a lot of Garlic.
- And lastly. I wanted to note there that yes, I have head and noticed that “Hockey is back!”. First off, hockey never left – just the idiotic No Hockey League did with their lockout. And second – no, I am still not going back. And oh, by the way… there are already articles talking about impending labor trouble again before this CBA is over… So yeah, losing most of a season and a bunch of fans… to once again not really fix it for good, totally worth it, right No Hockey League? Me, I’m good without hockey. We have the Superbowl coming up, and then in Mid February come the words to signal the end of winter.. Pitchers and Catchers report. Play Ball! (Or at least… “Do… Baseball!”
Okay, that’s five and I need to get going. I have a Boondoggle to start planning. Yes, another one. More details soon. No, I don’t have a problem. I can stop traveling whenever I want. I just don’t want to. I’m not an addict.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Features, Five Thoughts, football, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, MLB, Movies, Muppets, NFL, NHL, Spring Training, Swedishchef
Good Morning everyone! We’re still here! We’ll get into that a bit later with Five Thoughts, but for now, here’s today’s Christmas song of the day…. Ring the Bells!
See you tomorrow!
Good morning everyone! Here we are again with a song a day until Christmas. And I have to apologize, but given the date there was no way I wasn’t going with this song today. Although I did try to go with a slightly less common version. Yep, for 12-12-12 it’s the Twelve Days of Christmas. The Muppet version.
See you tomorrow!
So I didn’t get the chance to actually watch too much of the big football game as I was working, but I did watch some of the commercials today online. I have to admit, nothing really caught my eye. That was until I saw the Sonic commercial. I was pretty impressed as that takes some serious work to put together. I watched it though and had this nagging feeling I knew that band from somewhere. Then it dawned on me…….
Howdy folks and welcome to this week’s Five Thoughts. We’re sort of giving ourselves the day off here today. Being lazy and all. Let’s get at it, shall we?
- Happy Black Friday. This stuff has really gotten out of control, hasn’t it? Let’s start at midnight, let’s start camping out for Friday on Monday.. Sheesh. Not my thing, that’s for sure. I have the day off, the last thing I really want to do is get up early and shop. Besides, I’m still fighting off the food coma from yesterday.
- Today is the day after Thanksgiving. While I still think it’s a bit early due to the way the calendar fell this year, it is now acceptable to start playing Christmas music and turning on your lights.
- I’m looking out the window and the sun is shining. I have to admit, I was kind of hoping for some combination of cold/rainy today that would support staying inside instead of going and working on the things that need to get done in the yard. Can’t win them all I guess.
- I’m back into the SWTOR test this weekend. I wonder if that had anything to do with me wanting the weather outside to me miserable? Ah well.
- I have to admit I was really getting sick of some of the “Do you know how much sodium/how many calories/ how much fat” stories all the news channels were running last week. And will no doubt continue to work in as we move towards Christmas. It’s the holidays people. Celebrating and over eating is part of the deal. If it was a normal pattern of behavior I agree it would be a problem. But if you don’t make a habit of eating 4500 calories at every meal, doing it once a year on Thanksgiving isn’t a big deal. So have some fun already!
Okay, that’s a very quick Five Thoughts for the day. I now return myself to my regularly scheduled day off. And since I know my co-blogger is off to see a certain movie. And we talked about playing the music, and lighting the lights….
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Black Friday, Christmas, Features, Five Thoughts, Food, From the News, Muppets, postaweek2011, Silly, Star Wars, Thanksgiving, Video Games
I firmly believe that my co-blogger has cut a deal with the National Association of Alcoholic Beverage Licensing based on his tweets lately. Since I didn’t get any of the money from such deal, I’m making sure I don’t make any reference going forward at this point. I’ll teach you not to share!!!!
1. I have to say I’m pretty impressed that a large enough group of people actually followed through on their threats. A recent article in the Chicago Tribune puts the loss of Customers to Netflix to over a million. Power to the people I say!
2. I recently heard that Kristie Alley was turning 60! That is nuts. For those of you too young to know Kristie Alley before she was on Jenny Craig and before she had a reality show, she was on a little known show called Cheers. Can I just say that they just don’t write TV like that anymore. Sigh. Here’s a great clip for you young kids..watch it and then get off my lawn!
3. Speaking badly of Hollywood again, news has leaked out that they are going to make a Point Break remake. ENOUGH!!!! STOP!!! Point Break is no where near my favorite movie or is it a classic, but it does have a certain vibe about it that made it unique. Hollywood, didn’t you learn from your Conan remake?
4. Now, I will say once again.. There is a New Muppet movie coming out. I can’t wait. Okay, now I just used that as an excuse to post another Muppet video…yeah, I’m that lame.
5. So the famous Crown Vic is finally riding off into the sunset. I always thought that the car was under appreciated by people and listed as an “old person”‘s vehicle. I guess Ford Marketing just never marketed to the proper people…
And for a final bonus video clip….oh yeah…I’m going there….
Howdy folks, and happy Friday. I’ll be honest. I was not looking forward to writing this post today. Why? Well, it means I’m back from vacation. (Um.. Beer.. you already posted about vacation..) Yes. Yes I did. But this is the first real post that I felt obligated to do. The notes from the road was just for fun. Still, it’s Friday… so let’s see what Beer’s got rattling around in his brain (Other than rocks, you mean?) Hey! I heard that! Anyhow – let’s get started.
- I was going to start in on the back to reality theme, and how hard it is.. Blah, blah blah. Then the news went and hit the “Easy” button for me. How can you not lead with a news item that involves “trouser snake” puns and jokes? Yes, it’s an article about people putting snakes in their pants. And the best part? One of those people got caught at the Miami airport. Meaning they were trying to get snakes… on a plane! Which of course is an excuse to post this!
Ok, yes. I used the TV edit version to avoid being too crude. Want the original? It’s right here.
- Ran across this little blurb dealing with an NFL player’s contract. (Pro football salaries are about as far from reality as it gets for most of us). This is the line that really gets me:
“We certainly are not unhappy with our contract. Do we believe we outperformed the contract? Absolutely. Did we expect to outperform the contract. Sure. Are we bitter or unhappy? Not at all,”
That was said by the player’s AGENT. Dude.. who’s this WE? How many sacks did you have? HE outperformed his deal. Singular. The guy on the field. There is no “We”.
Oh what the hell.. Since it looks like the guy is going to get a new contract, let’s go one more. Yeah, I’m going there.
- CNN has an article up about being a Swedish chef. It’s a pretty interesting read and some of the stuff does really sound good. But I have to admit, and I’m sure it’s why the link from the main page was “Be a real Swedish chef”, that once you read “Swedish Chef” we all thought of just one thing….
- This caught my eye over on Autoblog. Is it car related? I guess if you consider stunt people getting hit by cars “car related”. But it was pretty funny (language is not PG though, so careful at work). And since this has Lee Majors in it:
I couldn’t help but slip this one in, too…
- You didn’t think you were getting away without me making a Labor Day reference, did you? What in the world *IS* Labor day, anyways? According to the Department of Labor “It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.” Thankfully with all the job losses recently, we haven’t had to make a concession on the holiday just yet. (Annnd THAT’S about as close to a political statement as I am going to make!) What does it mean? Well, it means a long weekend. It means things like grilling and camping and campfires. It means FOOTBALL!! Isn’t that enough reason to celebrate? I think so.
Ok, that’s five and a metric ton of video embeds. Now that I’ve gotten back from vacation hopefully I’ll have that out of my system for a while. But probably not. Either way, as we head into the long holiday weekend I need to pay one last tribute to my recent Bahamian vacation and the events that transpired. Yeah, I’m talking about Irene. And yeah, you better look away now if you don’t want to hear what’s coming next because I’m going there…
Have a great holiday weekend, folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Features, Five Thoughts, football, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, Muppets, postaweek2011, Silly, Television, Vacation
Happy Friday folks! Here we are again, right at the edge of another weekend. And what a wild week it’s been, too. What with the stock market, and preseason football, and… What? You actually expected me to make sense? Yeah, didn’t think so. Speaking of not making sense, let’s get started with this one…
- An online petition calling for the nuptials of Muppet flat-mates Bert and Ernie. Really? These are the things people worry about? Not the stock market, riots in London, or anything like that. But let’s be serious here for a moment. Ernie… Don’t do it!! I don’t know if you’re aware of it man, but your roommate, Bert? He’s Evil! You really don’t want to be marrying into that, do you?
- Not really a big deal, but since I always got a kick out of “Snakes on a Plane”, the first thing I thought of was “Tarantula on a train!“. Sadly, the real world event wasn’t quite the same. We’ve also recently seen “Snake on a car“, which – while funny – still lacked excitement. Maybe we could do something like “Ferrets on a Fishing boat” or “Birds on a Bus”? Nah, didn’t think so either.
- While we’re on the subject of transportation… There are some things you never want to be compared to in the automotive world. Like a “sorbet of mouse scat”. Yes, that’s an actual quote in an article describing the Nissan Murano Cross Cabriolet as the “Most Hated” vehicle of 2011. Personally, I’d put it on the list just for the name. Talk about pretentious. What, “Murano Convertible” isn’t good enough? Still, the quote from the article puts this story here. “Sorbet of mouse scat”? How do you even think a line like that up?
- Swinging to social media and technology. Google is obviously getting serious about going head to head with Facebook. how can we tell? It’s simple…. They’re adding games to Google+. You know once games are involved, things are getting serious. Gotta water the crops, or birds, or… something.
- See, now this is one of those instance where maybe, just maybe, there should have been some of that there “Inter agency cooperation” or whatever you want to call it. What am I going on about? Well, it seems the US government (DARPA specifically) has lost yet ANOTHER hi tech toy. This raises a few questions for me. Did they not talk to NASA, who have proven to be very adept at losing contact with unmanned flights? You’d think comparing notes might be in order. You know.. “No, no – that’s what we used and it, um, didn’t work” type of stuff. Also, I love this quote..”Initial indications are that the aircraft impacted the Pacific Ocean along the planned flight path.” Initial indications? The freaking thing was supposed to be travelling at almost 13,000 mph!! Anything moving that fast is going to leave one heck of an “Initial indication” upon impact! Couldn’t be that hard to figure out where it was.
Okay folks – that’s five and I’m rolling on out. Shaping up to be a busy, but fun weekend. So until next time, something a bit different…
Have a great weekend folks!
We here at Beerbarrel Productions make no bones about the fact that we hate recycled ideas in the entertainment world. A-Team movie…dumb…. Dukes of Hazzard movie…dumber idea… and on and on and on. Come on creative people, develop some original thoughts and ideas. We, as a buying, demanding population want original thoughts. Well, I’m going to actually take a step back from our normal beliefs and flip flop here people. Hold on, the one area I believe is ripe for a recycled project is…..are you ready….THE MUPPETS!!! What, wait, is the King drunk or suffering his third concussion??? No people, listen to me. You have to check out the Muppets Studio on YouTube. It’s great! I can’t help but smile…. So I’m leaving you with one of my favorites new videos….enjoy!!